Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went crappie fishing last weekend. The plan was to come home with 40 or so. Well. Too much rain. Water was mud and the fish were not really wanting to cooperate. I came home with 4 only but they were pigs. 4 biggest I ever caught and I catch in and around 12 inchers all the time. These were 14 range. Cooked up nice! Here is 1. All I did was pan fry them like my mom did. Breadcrumbs, salt pepper, basil/orangano/sage, lots of cheese and gavextjem a egg and flour dip first.

7812CE44-A845-4C92-BA78-D346DEAF76F6.jpegFBAB68A7-3710-462D-9C3B-3A16C6888368.jpeg

Hey guys I need some help I want to try to smoke some baby back ribs this weekend I have never smoked any meat before I’m going to try to use my new Weber gas grill that has a smoke box in it and you could control the temperature of the smoke box independently from the other burners.

So my question is about how long does it usually take to smoke a rack and a half to two racks of baby back ribs. What kind of temperature should I shoot for I have no idea. That’s if I can even get the grilled a hold of Low Enough temperature.

When I’m smoking should I give it to smoke the entire time or should I give it to smoke only half the amount of time and let it finish the rest of the time just at the low temperature? When my neighbor smokes is pork butts he sprays them every 15 to 20 minutes to keep them moist.

I’m going to marinade the ribs in a dry rub wrapped in tinfoil in the refrigerator for a day

Any other tips I’m not looking for perfection here I’m just trying to get my feet wet and mess around with the new grill

Real smokers burning wood/charcoal are a much drier heat. They also have to deal with the temp possibly running high. And, pork butts take 3-4 times longer than baby backs although seems it would be hard to hold temp opening any smoker every 15-20 mins but whatdoiknow about your neighbor.

Your grill won't smoke to the same level as a purpose built smoker so you can probably smoke them the whole time and depending on temp (250-275) you'll be looking at 4-5 hours. You want to see the tips of the rib bones to start getting exposed from the meat pulling back (at least 1/2"). If they haven't caramelized you can turn the grill up for a really quick browning but be careful if you've sauced them. Burning propane creates some water vapor that helps keep things a little more moist than but it can also prevent the ribs from getting a crisp outer layer like a real smoker would create.

Slather the ribs with yellow mustard before the dry rub. 2 gallon ziplock bags are very handy for this. Also, peel the membrane off the back side if it's still there.

* i've used my propane grill for smoking ribs

Largerman looking good. I started a whole brisket at 3 pm. It will smoke for 15 hrs so I will post pics tomorrow. Let’s see your pics tomorrow:cheers:

• Love
Reactions: Lagerman64
Real smokers burning wood/charcoal are a much drier heat. They also have to deal with the temp possibly running high. And, pork butts take 3-4 times longer than baby backs although seems it would be hard to hold temp opening any smoker every 15-20 mins but whatdoiknow about your neighbor.

Your grill won't smoke to the same level as a purpose built smoker so you can probably smoke them the whole time and depending on temp (250-275) you'll be looking at 4-5 hours. You want to see the tips of the rib bones to start getting exposed from the meat pulling back (at least 1/2"). If they haven't caramelized you can turn the grill up for a really quick browning but be careful if you've sauced them. Burning propane creates some water vapor that helps keep things a little more moist than but it can also prevent the ribs from getting a crisp outer layer like a real smoker would create.

Slather the ribs with yellow mustard before the dry rub. 2 gallon ziplock bags are very handy for this. Also, peel the membrane off the back side if it's still there.

* i've used my propane grill for smoking ribs
I’m running the grill on natural gas. Does that make a difference va propane.

So I don’t want to keep the temp lower like 200-225 or am I splitting hairs? Just wondering.

So I’ll smoke them the whole time. I guess I know to add more wood chips if I don’t see anymore smoke?

I also wondering about my neighbor holding temp opening it all the time. I have no idea. It was pretty good though I will say.

Ok I’ll give this a try. I got the time this weekend so what the heck.

Thamks forcthe tips!

Hey guys I need some help I want to try to smoke some baby back ribs this weekend I have never smoked any meat before I’m going to try to use my new Weber gas grill that has a smoke box in it and you could control the temperature of the smoke box independently from the other burners.

So my question is about how long does it usually take to smoke a rack and a half to two racks of baby back ribs. What kind of temperature should I shoot for I have no idea. That’s if I can even get the grilled a hold of Low Enough temperature.

When I’m smoking should I give it to smoke the entire time or should I give it to smoke only half the amount of time and let it finish the rest of the time just at the low temperature? When my neighbor smokes is pork butts he sprays them every 15 to 20 minutes to keep them moist.

I’m going to marinade the ribs in a dry rub wrapped in tinfoil in the refrigerator for a day

Any other tips I’m not looking for perfection here I’m just trying to get my feet wet and mess around with the new grill
I have propane and wood smokers. My propanes in addition to their smoke boxes, I've attached Smoke Daddy smoke generators. Baby backs, I'll dry rub the night before, and smoke 2 hours @250 degrees, wrap in foil, cook an additional 1.5 hour, remove from foil, and depending on my mood, if I want Memphis style, I'll throw into the wood smoker to bark it up, or St Louis style, sauce up and caramelize on the grill.
Pork butts, rub/smoke @250 for 2 hours, wrap in foil, cook an additional 8.5 hours, remove from smoker, let cool down to where I can handle and shred.
I like the propanes they're pretty much set and forget, If I have the time I'll fill the cooler, fire up wood smoker and do it properly. ;)

Jim - temp between 225 and 275 would be ideal. Definitely agree yellow mustard as a base and your favorite rub.

Attaching some I did this morning on my WSM as well as 2 butts

Attachments

• 4AEB7323-A061-436C-81E8-67C82CF29F8A.jpeg
    4AEB7323-A061-436C-81E8-67C82CF29F8A.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 29
  • A4765935-6803-44CD-8DE5-2C4148DD76D1.jpeg
    A4765935-6803-44CD-8DE5-2C4148DD76D1.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 1C55D66B-D2BD-408E-B802-5649169B0093.jpeg
    1C55D66B-D2BD-408E-B802-5649169B0093.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips guys! I’m going to run them up tonight cause tomorrow I’m fishing all morning so I won’t have time.

I’ll let you all know how I make out!

Gorilla you better be soaking some poles when the lifeguards go home tonight! You are killing me with the pic of the smoker at the beach!

Nice, how do you prep it before going into the smoker?
There are 2 schools of thought wether to trim or not to trim off excess fat. This time I decided not to trim any fat off. I spread yellow Heinz mustard and then sprinkle Bad Byrons Butt Rubb on it. The put it in the smoker. I will post pics soon. :cheers:

Ok guys everyone voted that this is definitely the best brisket I have ever done. Of course many were participating in adult beverages so you guys can judge. Note that there is lots of fat as I did not trim off the fat cap however everyone agreed that was not a big thing as you can cut that off once sliced. Also I took it out once it reached 178 degrees and wrapped it in foil and put to rest in a cooler for 3 hrs. Smoker set at 225 degrees and smoke time of 16 hrs. :cheers:
E964D026-51B6-4ED0-901C-CED2555FA1FA.jpegD6FF0497-0D02-4388-9043-F889F0F6BFF1.jpegEE2527E9-7B1B-4AD6-8C57-D4EF5FC0F418.jpeg

You guys are killing me here. I’m trying to see if my grill will hold temp for me. Right now it’s holding at 260. Note a lot of smoke though. I soaked my chips and only put in enough to cover bottom of the smoker box. I got smoke smell but no smoke yet. I don’t know if I need to raise the burner level but then that will just make the temp too high.

That brisket looks so good!

Just dropped a rack into the electric smoker a bit late, almost 5pm. Gonna run them a little hotter than usual. Fingers crossed.

jimim, the smoke smell will make them tasty but you'll see they aren't going to win any contests. You might need to plug up some holes in your grill's lid with wadded foil. At 260 the wood should smoke. You have a separate burner for the chips?...raise it, shouldn't affect the ribs much.

That brisket looks fantastic!

They r catching fire on me. I lined the smoker box with tin foil on the bottom. The bottom of the smoker box has holes and the design sits it right on the burner pretty much so they keep catching. The tin foil will work I think but the tin foil started to burn and get holes in it cause of it being close to the flame. So now I’m trying to use the burner right next to it. I can hold my temp which is nice but getting smoke is posing to be harder than I though.

I made fish tacos tonight from the fish I caught the other day. I ended up with over 4 lbs of fillets after cleaned. ED8F8BA9-7848-441B-A4D7-761E38042798.jpeg3FEA67B8-044E-4166-A54C-72E7479C5418.jpeg36B3529B-3220-4C04-9225-AD20B5CFEBA8.jpeg

They r catching fire on me. I lined the smoker box with tin foil on the bottom. The bottom of the smoker box has holes and the design sits it right on the burner pretty much so they keep catching. The tin foil will work I think but the tin foil started to burn and get holes in it cause of it being close to the flame. So now I’m trying to use the burner right next to it. I can hold my temp which is nice but getting smoke is posing to be harder than I though.

I made fish tacos tonight from the fish I caught the other day. I ended up with over 4 lbs of fillets after cleaned. View attachment 103216View attachment 103217View attachment 103218
Now Jimm that looks like a lot of work but the end result looks delicious :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.