Offer to help

936A3C9F-2B92-4F24-81C6-D8FEAAAAFDF2.jpegNot sure how you got 10ppm fc since none of those products have chlorine in them.
its likely actually all cc due to the fact u added mps (which is an oxidizer not a sanitizer) & it reads as cc on a test.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & a sanitizer which eliminates the need for mps.
Spa perfect is basically a clarifier - no sanitizing properties.
Protect 2 is a stain & scale preventer & will do nothing to clear up the tub unless you have a metal’s problem which you would deal with after you deal with the sanitation issue.
Please don’t add anymore pool store potions 🧪
Add 10ppm of bleach/liquid chlorine & The amount of Ahhsome necessary as listed on the container then purge. Scoop the funky foam out as it comes & wipe the waterline.
Drain, rinse, & refill.
Add enough dichlor to reach 10ppm fc.
After 30 minutes or so check that the ph is in the 7’s with your drop test.
Here’s the dichlor & bleach available @ Walmart in the states
2E322E59-03D0-4C89-90EE-58F8A1411378.jpeg

- the important part is the ingredients not the brand.
For bleach it doesn’t matter the concentration so long as you put what % u have in PoolMath. If your bleach doesn’t contain cloromax, fabric enhancers, flavors or something to make it splashless it’s fine. Usually the cheaper household bleaches are the plainest.
To maintain your hot tub you basically need -
A Test kit
A purge product (Ahhsome)
chlorine (dichlor & bleach)
Muriatic acid or dry acid
Those other things u listed are unnecessary.

Last edited:
Let’s start simple, have you seen the following article? Hopefully this was wrote in a more understanding way, and if not….we’ll keep working on simplifying things.

Second off, a warning. When you get your new test kit, it will overwhelm you. There’s gonna be like a million bottles, but don’t worry…..you’ll only use 100,000 of them. 😂 In all serious, the kit will contain several bottles for several tests. We’re only gonna focus on chlorine for now. Here’s a video that’ll give you a tease of that test.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I really appreciate the info, but I need to focus on the clean/purge right now. I won't add any more spa store potions lol.

I picked up 1.25L of Great Value Concentrated Liquid Bleach at Walmart just now. I read in another thread that it was fine. If not let me know please.
How do I add 10ppm of bleach? Isn't parts per million an outcome? How would I know how much bleach to add to get to 10ppm?
Weather here will be nice enough for cleaning/purging tomorrow with ahh-some and then refilling and getting the tub back up to temp.

You probably have no cya since you exchanged some water & your previous testing showed very little
Your current fc is 0
Your target fc is 10
It’s more than likely 6%
Most store brands are.
It doesn’t have to be exact - its just so u have some fc to decontaminate as u purge.

You probably have no cya since you exchanged some water & your previous testing showed very little
Your current fc is 0
Your target fc is 10
It’s more than likely 6%
Most store brands are.
It doesn’t have to be exact - its just so u have some fc to decontaminate as u purge.
I plunked that into the app and it said to add 300ml so I've done that.

I added the bleach with all the features on, diverters halfway, aerators on, for 30 minutes with the cover open. Then I closed the cover.

Reactions: kimkats
I plunked that into the app and it said to add 300ml so I've done that.

I added the bleach with all the features on, diverters halfway, aerators on, for 30 minutes with the cover open. Then I closed the cover.
Are you not purging w/ the Ahhsome today? If not raise it back up to 10ppm just before you do.

I just noticed the new postings. For the person purging the hot tub. Please do not add Over 4 LEVEL TEASPOONS of gel to the hot tub for the purge. You say you have roughly 475 US Gallons so that will be fine. You just need a little chlorine in the water at the time of the purge. Be sure to remove the filter(s), headrests and pillows if you have any. Be sure to wipe away the sticky stuff you will see collecting at the waterline and especially in the filter well area. That is important. Keep me posted.

Purge/clean
Last night I added water and removed water at the same time to exchange/dilute the green cloudy water I had.
When you need to change water, I’d suggest the best thing to do is a complete drain, then refill. There’s not a reason to refill when also draining on a standalone spa. If draining completely:

1. Shut off the power to the spa.
  2. Drain.
  3. Refill, sticking the hose into the filter compartment when refilling.
  4. Turn the power back on once full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I want to purge tomorrow because the weather will be warmer. It was too cold today. My plan tomorrow is to add 300ml of bleach with all the equipment on again but this time with the aeration off. After 30 minutes I will add 4 level teaspoons of ahh-some. I'll add the ahh-some with the equipment on and aerators on for 30 minutes. Ahh-some guy I see your instructions I will follow them.

Once I'm done the purge and I start the refill what's the plan? This is the part I'm really unsure of. I'll put new filters in. I'm not reading good things about great value bleach. No manufacturing date, no expiration date, nothing. What if I get pool liquid chlorine at the pool store?

After 30 minutes I will add 4 level teaspoons of ahh-some. I'll add the ahh-some with the equipment on and aerators on for 30 minutes. Ahh-some guy I see your instructions I will follow them.
Especially with how your water looked in that picture, I’d recommend at least one follow-up purge. See what comes out the first purge. Then, without draining, add half the amount of Ahh-Some and run jets and aerators again for 30 minutes. Depending on what comes out you can repeat again. This will get it nice and clean for the refill.

After the purge, drain, and refill, if you have dichlor add enough to get to 10 ppm of FC. The initial goal is getting FC in there right away. You will then work the CYA up to 30. Once you get the CYA to 30 with enough dichlor you will switch to using bleach or pool liquid chlorine.

Be sure to wipe away the sticky stuff you will see collecting at the waterline and especially in the filter well area.
Wanting to make sure this is sticking out to you! Have a roll of papertowels or many wash cloths right there to wipe as the gunk shows up. You do NOT want it to stick to the walls. It is almost impossible to get off is it is allowed to stick.
get pool liquid chlorine at the pool store
If you have one close that sells liquid chlorine then go for it! Just do NOT buy anything else or take any water to be tested pretty please!

You are on the right track! Keep asking questions. We understand and it WILL get easier as you do your above cleaning!

If the hot tub is outside and on a patio or deck where it is ok to have water overflowing I recommend that you basically fill the hot tub up almost to the brim, add the Ahh-Some Cleaning Gel and let all the gunk and some foam roll over the tub and down the sides. Spray the stuff with a garden hose intermittently and yiu‘lol have practically zero gunk sticking to the shell. Plus, it will help clean the deck at the same time. Many people do this and it is a timesaver.

What Jeyserft3 is telling you for the additional purge is great advice. So, after you do the initial purge, if you get a tremendous amount of sticky gooey gunk out of the plumbing, shut the spa off. Wipe all the gunk that you can see around the waterline and especially in where the filter(s) go, add 1 or 2 more level teaspoons of Ahh-Some to the same purged water and run the jets on high for an additional 10 minutes. You really don’t needed wait 30 minutes for the second purge. Do this only if you feel you didn’t get all of it out the first time. Hard to know for sure but just use yiur noggin. If you see lots of gunk on purge #1, do a second quickie. Drain, wipe, rinse, wipe again and always fill the hot tub with the hose adding water into the filter area. This I will ensure that your pump picks up an immediate prime when you restart the system. You’ll be a pro after this. Remember to purge every 6 months no matter what you feel about the water. If more people actually purged and dumped their water on a regular basis we would see half the maintenance issues we now hear about. It is just that the average guy hates to dump their water.

@samshpamalta47
It is purge day for me too!
I wish u well 😊
I am able to get “chlorinating liquid” @ walmart, lowes, & home depot in the pool section it’s 10%.
Other choices in the past have been “cleaning” bleach from Walmart & dollar general (which may not be in Canada).
Here in the states it is getting hard to find plain household bleach without additives - just read the labels & look for the percentage.
The bleach u have can be used, it just may not increase fc as much as u anticipated- just test after adding & adjust the dose as necessary based on your results.
Do you have any dichlor on hand?
The active ingredient will be Dichloro-S- Triazinetrione. The effects of adding area in PoolMath can help u see how much cya each addition will add so u can keep track of it as well as it’s effects on ph.
U got this! Happy purging 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.