Off Season Pump Run Time for Southern Climates?

richard-ssv

Jun 17, 2019
Denton, TX
Hi All!

I'm a new pool owner in North Texas with a question about pump run times in warm climates during the off season. Here in the Dallas area we don't get a ton of below freezing days during the off season. Most pool owners that I've talked to in my area say that they don't "close" their pool for the off season, they just maintain it as they normally do. My question is, where is a good starting point for pump run times during the off season? During the summer we ran our pumps 10 hours a day during the heat of the summer (95-100 degrees). With average temps in the 50's during the winter, can I get away with running my pumps less?

If so, where is a good place to start..... 4 hours? 6 hours? 8 hours? I understand that I may need to tweak the run time to my conditions, just looking for a general starting point.

with a VS pump, why not run 24/7? I have a single speed that I run 4 hours a night plus while swimming or adding chemicals.

With your setup there is no need to change anything. The Aqualink has built-in freeze protection. Your pool still needs circulation to mix the chemicals. It appears that your utility rates in your part of the country are about 2/3 or less of what I pay in Northern California. My pool runs 14 hours a day 24/7/365. It is a variable speed as well. I have never changed the run times and I pay less than $1.00 a day to keep my pool sparkling. Just my experience.

I run 14 hours during summer here in Houston only because I need my Chiller to run long enough to actually “chill” the water. I could easily get away with 8 otherwise. Today actually I’ve changed my pump schedule to run 9 am - 5pm. I did this last year with no problem. Just make sure to adjust your SWG run time to reflect your FC demand in the colder months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.