agolvegas

Aug 1, 2021
Las Vegas
Anytime my pool starts up in the morning the gauge reads ~34

I've eliminated the following as possible culprits
1.) changed out the gauge
2.) changed out the 4 cartridges
3.) checked to make sure every valve is functioning properly

What has seemed to work is turning off the system, diverting the water along a different channel (for example, opening up the solar valve) and then turning the system back on again.
When I do this the psi drops from 34 to 16 and stays there for the rest of the day, even if I shut the solar valve back off. Sometimes I can get the same effect by shutting off the system, opening the strainer basket, closing it,
and restarting the system. The following morning the psi will read 34 again

I suspect my motor/pump is at fault at this point

Some info about my pool:

Pentair whisperflow flow 2hp pump and 2hp motor
Pentair 420 filter
17,000 gallons and 2 inch plumbing

Thanks for any help

Pull the lid off that check valve. That clear round window in the pvc plumbing. Check the flap.
Ok I'm tired but start there
Good catch, thank you. The flapper is gone, even if I'm not entirely sure how necessary it is seeing as there is another check valve on the solar intake piping to prevent backflow. Anyone know the purpose of this check valve and how important it is?

Last edited:
Thanks for having me! Seems like an awesome community, I only started doing my own pool maintenance a month ago

As to your question, the return pressure feels proportionally larger when the system is running high psi
Increased flow combined with increased pressure would point to increased pump output, not any kind of restriction.

Anyone know the purpose of this check valve and how important it is?

If you are using the tablet chlorinator that CV provides the first line of defense over acidic water backflowing into your pool equipment. It did its job and sacrificed itself from the acid.

Good catch, thank you. The flapper is gone, even if I'm not entirely sure how necessary it is seeing as there is another check valve on the solar intake piping to prevent backflow. Anyone know the purpose of this check valve and how important it is?
The check valve prevents the solar drain from going backwards through the filter. And yes it is pretty important.

However, what is more important is where that flapper went to. But by gone, do you mean removed by someone or it has broken? The flapper may have migrated down the pipe and sometimes it is in the correct position to block flow and sometimes not. You might take apart the 3-way valve closest to the check valve and see it is lodged in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance that it has an auto prime function running when it turns on? Mine did that by default, but I overrode it because it is not necessary for my install.

The check valve prevents the solar drain from going backwards through the filter. And yes it is pretty important.

However, what is more important is where that flapper went to. But by gone, do you mean removed by someone or it has broken? The flapper may have migrated down the pipe and sometimes it is in the correct position to block flow and sometimes not. You might take apart the 3-way valve closest to the check valve and see it is lodged in there.
The flapper is lodged in narrower piping directly before the inline chlorinator. Going to get someone to come out and cut it out. Just another neglected piece of maintenance from the pool companies I had servicing my pool for the last 6 years

Reactions: Jimrahbe and mas985

Nailed it.

I tried and failed to get the flapper out myself yesterday, but I did reset its trajectory once the system is on now so it's just rattling around instead of clogging up the system. I'll get a pro to come out and take it out.

Now the return jet pressure is 2-3x stronger and at a normal psi on startup, I had no idea my pool could run this well. I inherited this problem from the last pool owner (I think) and 2 separate pool guys noticed nothing wrong in 6 years. Been living with a clogged system this whole time.

Thanks so much for the help! You guys are awesome

Last edited:
You guys are awesome
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.