LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Maryland
I just grabbed a small sample of pool water and measured the following:
FC 0
pH 7.2
TA 20
CH 50
Salt below the scale on the test strips, maybe between 0 and 200.
Borates 10
Temp 47F (measured on my water sample after I brought it back into the house, so the actual pool could be a few degrees colder)
CYA 0

My last measurements from September 2020 were:
FC 6.0
CC 0
pH 8
TA 110
CH 260
Salt 3140
Borates 35
Temp 80F
And I apparently forgot to log CYA late in the season, but it was 60 in July.

What I really don't understand is how TA, CH, and Salt are so low. My closing process involves draining a good bit of water, and the pool has already refilled itself with rain/snow, so I know there's some dilution. But that can't remotely explain salt dropping to nothing.

Are the tests inaccurate if the water is too cold? Should I warm it up to room temp and then test?

Is your pump running?

Without your pump running the water stratifies and you can't get accurate chemistry.

Reactions: Casey
+1. I saw huge differences between that first test and the test after 2 days of pump running.

Reactions: Casey
According to NOAA you got about 2 ft of rain from Oct through Feb. Your CH and salt probably decreased by 1/3. Your CYA lost the same 1/3, (down to 40) and also 3-5ppm a month in normal degradation, so CYA is 20 at best and unmeasurable if less than that.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.