OCD Testing?

For the few months after starting TFP a couple of years ago, I actually tested twice per day - once in the morning and once in the evening! lol Now that is overkill, but it was fun as it was my first pool, I didn't mind spending a little more for reagents and I was able to really get a handle on how my FC levels reacted to a variety of use and weather situations. For the rest of the season, I tested once daily.

The second season, I tested every 2 - 3 days, while still making daily additions of liquid chlorine. I've never gone below my minimum nor have ever had algae and had to slam my pool. I only tested pH weekly, as I find it's very stable.

This year, we had an SWG installed, so I'm back to testing every day (only once) as I get it dialed in. I'm hoping in the near future I can test weekly, but I'm not quite ready for that yet! I say, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you like doing it, great! If you know your pool and by looking at it, you know the FC is low or the pH is high, then you do not need to test as often.

With a SWCG, unless you have a major water exchange event or large pool party, the FC should be pretty steady. I test my pool water chemistry about every 3 days.

It's important to recognize changes to your system as FC demand is a moving target. If things are (seem) stabilized then predicting losses and additions is simple and every day testing not essential. If you have a pool party, massive winds with lots of debris, high rainfall or fill water, new sanitizer source, seasonal weather changes or suspect teenage neighbors are skinny dipping in your pool on full moon nights, then take a few minutes to verify by testing. Every once in a while a spot test may surprise you (me).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.