OB in NoVA (Dig Starts tomorrow 6/8)

The shell should arrive this afternoon, might get set then as well, depending on weather and daylight. Pics coming and time lapse videos...
Dirt pile is slowly going away...the excavator didn't have help yesterday, not optimal, but big trucks and help today.

1623248852598.jpeg

So, day 2 didn't move along as fast as the PB thought...so, we are still fussing with the hole...gravel blocking the driveway and pool shell arriving in the morning. It is an awesome thing I have very accommodating neighbors as they are going to let me store the pool in their driveway (they are adjacent). Our major slow down was the first excavator "hogged" the hole (I guess this is an excavation term)...so there wasn't any rhyme or reason...he wasn't back today, and it was a different crew...they moved dirt around for a few hours before figuring out the deep end was dug about 2 feet too shallow. Our dig is a bit complicated since we are doing a semi unground install, so I was keeping an eye on the measurements. They cranked it out until 6:30 P.M., but then I started to worry about fatigue and let them know there was no pressure to have the hole level and prepped for setting, we could store the pool while they finished up. Mind you, the PB said the team would be done 2 days ago and was upset I wasn't have the pool delivered then. Anyway, we are making small steps and having the shell at the house (installed or not) is a HUGE milestone.
1623281298528.jpeg
1623281336413.jpeg

So lots of progress today...finally started laying the gravel base...then rain. They hauled away 85% of the dirt...the shell arrived. We have a few days of rain, so I will just have to sit tight and manage the water in the hole...we got it covered so it shouldn't be too big of a mess.

One thing that they fessed up to, was the incorrect digging of the bump out...it is supposed to have stairs on the far side and a shelf for sitting on the near side...they over dug that part by about 3 feet. I am wondering what the fix will be and what the TFP expert recommend, I have attached my dig sheet for reference.

1623361195667.jpeg
1623361221625.jpeg
1623361491072.png

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I've read a little about over digging, I think they just have to fill it with the correct stuff that won't sink and then tamp it down serially every so often, but that's about all I got. What did the builder say/offer as the solution?

What are they backfilling your pool with? There has been much debate about it and it looks like the expert consensus is all gravel of a certain size (I don't have it memorized but maybe clean 3/8)? Also too make sure they take care beneath your shelf and steps and have 2x4s to help push in the backfill nice and tight.

That pool is a flat bottom. They should add small gravel and screed the base after compacting. On a small pool like yours I would use screed rails shot with a laser to the proper pitch. Gravel should be used to bring backfill near the step bump in then masonry grout to stuff it to the top. Then continue with water and stone and the same process for the whole shelf. A delivery of flowable fill would be the best bet and guarantee no voids. Make sure the gravel used is 1/4 to 3/8 max size and angular rock not rounded gravels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, 2 days of rain have not helped the installation.

While I knew the installation was going to wreck the back yard, I wasn't prepared for what I am dealing with...that coupled with a "rush, rush, rush" PB, stress levels are pretty high.

In keeping with today's meme frenzy...Here is my contribution (yes these are my photos)...

Pool Installation Expecation (this is an installation I watched in my area, I just couldn't get on their schedule)
1623500547174.jpeg

Pool Installation Reality...This is my backyard this morning

1623500580024.jpeg
1623500599824.jpeg

That pool is a flat bottom. They should add small gravel and screed the base after compacting. On a small pool like yours I would use screed rails shot with a laser to the proper pitch. Gravel should be used to bring backfill near the step bump in then masonry grout to stuff it to the top. Then continue with water and stone and the same process for the whole shelf. A delivery of flowable fill would be the best bet and guarantee no voids. Make sure the gravel used is 1/4 to 3/8 max size and angular rock not rounded gravels
They have used the screed rails and laser...and here is the gravel they are using.
1623501027385.jpeg

The PB was calling the pool company to see what the recommended method for correction was...I will mention your recommendation to him.

Thanks for the assist.

Oh man...so I hear big dump trucks this morning...thinking my PB has finally figured out that hauling dirt with a stake truck is a BAD idea...look outside to see this...
1623677086243.jpeg

Yeah...not my pool builder...Washington Gas has decided that today is a great day to dig up the road in front of my house.

I am not even sure what emotions I am supposed to feel...good thing the PB is still waiting the the mess he made to dry.

Attachments

• 1623676858005.jpeg
    1623676858005.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 5
The shell is in the ground...it was a tight fit to get it into the backyard and hats off to the operator...the dude is good. We had planned on a semi-inground...but the right side (as you are looking at it) it a bit higher than we would have liked...but...we can live with it.

1623885644801.jpeg
1623885668479.jpeg
1623885685075.jpeg
1623885702009.jpeg
1623885733225.jpeg

Just now finding this build after seeing your chip post. Well done so far. Sounds like you have had a hard ride behind the scenes. Hope it was not too bad.

What will you be putting around the pool for decking?

We are getting concrete today...getting close. The bad news is that we waited on ordering our coping (Mongolian Black Basalt) and it is out of stock right now...with no ETA other than "months". We might have to flex the design a bit, or just wait on the coping.
1624977342231.jpeg

Concrete was poured (a LOT) and they put down sod...not sure how good of an idea this was as we still have patio work to do, but I am glad to have the yard looking somewhat normal. The area to the left of the pool is getting a deck, so no sod needed there. I might put down some landscape fabric to minimize the mud runoff. We had a slight bow in the front wall of the concrete pour and they are having to "shave" it back down to the correct size for coping. We are putting floating benches on either side of the bump out when we do the deck. We started the planning process in September 2020, the dig started 08 June 2021 and we are sort of starting to look normal, so we have had chaos in the backyard for about a month. I applaud and deeply respect the patience of folks that get gunite pools installed and deal with this for multiple months.
1625134951546.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.