O/B in Peoria AZ

mslaman

Gold Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Peoria AZ
Well...…..Here we go!

My Overlord (AKA Wife) has decided that she wants a pool this summer. I really didn't understand why we need a pool. The wonderful community where we live in NW Peoria has 3 pools. One heated and one with a water slide. So I expressed my thoughts. And guess what happened...….We compromised and will be swimming in our pool by summer!

I knew this compromise would manifest itself one day. So I started researching on this site about a year and a half ago, In preparation for the train named inevitability to arrive at the station. I have spent a year collecting all of the great reasons why we did not NEED a pool. I have educated myself with logical, fact based, reasonable arguments as to why we don't NEED a pool. I was ready and prepared to calmly explain all of the reasons we did not NEED a pool. Except for this.....

Honey, I understand all of that stuff, but I WANT a pool! Blink Blink. (Imagine the eyes blinking) Why does that always work? Why?

Anyway, While researching why we didn't need a pool. I have indirectly educated myself on all things pool!!!! So at least we have a good start.

We are most likely going the owner builder route. I happen to have 29 years of experience in construction. Mostly building hospitals. I don't have much concern buying out subs, listing equipment, inspections or scheduling....That's what I do.
With that being said. We do have 5 pool builders scheduled next week to take a look and provide pricing. Interested in seeing what the price range is. If it sounds reasonable we may go with a builder. We will see....
We are going to start this build with the finance stage going through to the first PARTY!!! A graduation party for my bride. She will be a RN in May!!!!!

Here are some pics of the backyard.....Pool will be in the gravel area.

The Overlord is coming......I gotta go!!!

Attachments

• Back Yard 11.JPG
    Back Yard 11.JPG
    870.7 KB · Views: 122
  • BackYard 10.JPG
    BackYard 10.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • House Pic.JPG
    House Pic.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 130
What a great start of a thread!!!!!!!! LOVE IT! Happy wife, happy life--------? (can't out talk a want and those eyes!)

Just so you know...........even if you do hire a PB you will still need to be there for many parts of the build. It might even feel like you are the GC but you can yell at him if anything goes wrong so there is that.

Here is a link to something you will want to go through:

Thank you for the laugh!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: mslaman
Ohmygosh..... You Sooooooooo Doooooo need a pool. You don't realize it yet but a new nurse's first year of work is a year of never ending self doubt, exhaustion, stress, tension and being at the mercy of shift schedules. And after nursing school she *deserves* a place of peace and quiet. WIthout the public bothering her ("Hey, you're a nurse, wouldcha look at this rash for me??).

You will *love* having your own safe space. Water that is clean to a nurse's standards (assuming you get on the TFP method) and being able to jump in anytime, day or night.

Signing up to follow this thread.

Maddie, RN, CCRN :flower:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the advice

I hear you Newdude. I bought One of those small plastic pools to see if that would meet her expectation. Let’s just say that didn’t go over very well. I found it stuffed inside of my company truck at 3:30 AM the next day. Thought that was rude.....but I guess the point was made LOL.

I have a equipment list ready to go that I was planning on posting this evening. However I left it downstairs. And my bride is currently studying for a major test right now. I’m not going down there without team of Frogmen for protection so that will have to wait until tomorrow. The bonus for me is that I slipped in a mini split HVAC system for the garage! It can get a bit warm in the summer here. I figured I have earned a gift for all the burnt dinners I have been making while she has been in school. Hopefully she doesn’t see it.....or ask what it is.... we shall see.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
My husband feels your pain............he made the mistake of walking in while I was working on the paperwork for the taxes. He says he was lucky to see the raised up hand and revered right out of there before he said a word and things started flying LOL

Good move getting the HVAC for your garage. What kind of work do you do in there?

Kim:kim:

Here is my Preliminary Equipment list that I would like to ask the experts to take a look at. I know I am a little ahead of the game here but I like to Plan for everything way before it happens. Plenty of time to make changes. I can't remember who I stole this from but I thank you...

Pool is going to be a free form 85 LF with a sun ledge and waterfall. 4' - 5' - 4'.
Hardscape will be Travertine Color TBD.
After that I am going to build a BBQ with a pergola and a fire pit. I can do that on the weekends. I get bored easy and it will give me something to do.

Pentair Intellibrite 5G color X2 Model 601012
Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter Model 160301
Pentair Admiral 520 Skimmer X2
Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump Model 011028

Here is where I am not sure if I need it. This is a simple pool. Not a lot of need for automation and fancy stuff. I am putting more money into the "Resort Backyard".
I get that the Pentair Intellicenter is great for automation. It is also $2800.00 with the SWCG combo. What is the practical reason I need to spend 7% of the project cost on the Intellicenter? I can turn on and off lights and pumps with a simple $20 timer. Don't really want to spend $2800 so I can turn on the lights and pump with my phone.
Do I need the Intellicenter to control the SWCG? What else would I need the Intellicenter for?

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
M,

I like Clean and Clear cartridge filters.. The 160301 is a 420 sq ft model.. The bigger the filter the less you have to clean them. I would go with the 520, but the 420 will work just fine.

The IntelliFlo 011028 is an outstanding VS pump.. Good choice.

No one "needs" automation, but I suspect that if I loaned you an automation system for 90 days, that when I came back to get it, you would run me off with a stick.. :mrgreen:

The IntelliCenter, or the older EasyTouch, controls a variety of things.. pump schedule, pump speeds, IntelliChlor output percentage, shows the salt level, freeze protection, valve positions (if you have a spa or any water features. It is the load center for all the circuit breakers for your pool. It ensure that the IC40 cannot come on unless the pump is running. It controls the lights on/off and allows you to set the color or run the lights show mode. It controls any solar system. It allows you to control an irrigation valve to add water to your pool.

And you never know about the future.. In my case, I use my EasyTouch to control my standalone spa as well as my landscape lights.

If you are ever going to install an automation system, the time to do it is when the pool is being built.

If you don't install one, you will cry every time you use your pool... If you do buy one, you will only have to cry once, when you buy it..

You can also buy a car with manual windows, no speed control, no key fob, manual transmission, but I bet you don't.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I'm a pool technology Luddite. We are perfectly happy keeping our pump, SWG on a simple Intermatic timer. Our pool light switch is built on to the deck right next to the automatic cover's key switch- we walk by them to get to the pool. So it's not a big effort to flip'em then.

Money saved help pay off the house and pool :party:

YMMV.

Maddie :flower:

I echo the automation sentiment Jim shared. My pool is a simple also. Pool, SWCG and pool lights. I like the automation because it can control the landscape lighting timing, SWCG settings, pump run time and pump speeds from inside. It rains here, it’s not always warm and I’m busy. I don’t always have the time or desire to run down to the pool to make the changes, but I can pickup my remote. It is real money but I like it. I too buy cars with things I don’t need. I’m fully capable of putting the back hatch up and down by myself, but will never buy an SUV without a power rear door.

Hmmmmmm
using the good ole logic here. Sure that gas motor can pull your RV. But hook that bad boy up to a diesel you’ll never have to worry about it..we bought a diesel.
I can see the intellicenter in our future. Just in case of course.

Had a couple of the large pool builders out today To take a look and give us some bids. We original had 3 scheduled but one didn’t show up.....
The first guy who showed up was pretty cool. Spent time explaining the entire process. He was impressive. Was here about 2 hours. He also took the time to set up a follow up meeting.
The second guy seemed to be in a huge hurry. Didn’t explain anything. Measured and said I’ll get a first look at design and a price by the end of next week.
Interesting how vast the difference was between the 2.
Neither blinked an eye when I said I wanted the SWCG. Thought that was interesting as comments On threads state how most builders try to steer people away from SWCG.
Everything went well. Here the funny part.
My bride of 5 years (HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HONEY) was shockingly late for the first appointment. Came charging in about 30 minutes into the meeting. “I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!! I’m in charge!
sales Guy was laughing pretty good as I just rolled my eyes. Honey this is the initial meeting. Pretty stuff comes a little later.

“I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!! I’m in charge!
sales Guy was laughing pretty good as I just rolled my eyes. Honey this is the initial meeting. Pretty stuff comes a little later.

Hey, I understand her eagerness! Kinda like when I'm looking for a car and Skippy wants to know what *kind* of auto... all I can think to say is "White!" <Maddie loves her new white Beemer named "Baby">

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Interesting how vast the difference was between the 2.
Don't let the first impression cloud your head though...........the proof is in the finished product. It sounds like the 1st guy is more of a people person while the second one not so much. That does not make one COMPANY a better pool builder than the other. Make sure to get references for both companies. Ask the owners of the pools you visit if they would hire the company again AND ask how they have handled warranty claims.

Neither blinked an eye when I said I wanted the SWCG. Thought that was interesting as comments On threads state how most builders try to steer people away from SWCG.
This seems to be more of TX thing in not liking the SWG. We really cannot figure out just why though :roll:

my bride of 5 years
I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I PICK THE PRETTY STUFF!!!!!!!! I’m in charge!
HAHA! At least she got there in time to let you both know who is in charge! Tell her I have some links for to look at for help in picking out the pretty stuff aka BLING! Tell her to look at my BLING kitty so she knows I know all about BLING! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.