Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I finally get to start my build thread :). We just got our plans back yesterday and started getting bids today. 🥳

Background, back in 2006 we built our own pool, which we sadly only had for 2 seasons before moving. Our friend's brother consults o/bs, draws their pool, gets it engineered, sent our plans to subs, sends the permit to the city, orders our equipment wholesale, and guides us thru the process. We used him last time and are using him again. Last time we got our pool done in 3 weeks from dig, but we aren't expecting that this time. We aren't expecting that since it's super busy in the pool building world. We do hope to get done in time to use the hot tub before it heats up for next summer. This is our first time having a hot tub. At first we weren't going to do one, but when we started realizing that our kids are mostly grown, this will be something that they will want to hang out in. We have kids ranging from 33 down to 10 and grandkids from 15 down to 1, so all parts of the pool will be utilized. The little ones will love the Baja step and even the hot tub will become a baby pool in the summer. Our boys loved jumping off the waterfall before. My husband taught them how to jump off the fence last time :oops:, but I have vetoed that this time.

We will be getting quartz because I do not like pebble, and we will also be getting some form of cool deck/acrylic lace. I've been in friends' pools with travertine and don't like how slippery it is. It is gorgeous, but I really don't mind the look of cool deck and I like that it isn't slippery. These are some of the few times my preferences are the cheaper ones ;). As for waterline tile, I will make up for that because I want a glass 1x2 subway tile.

We did have the hot tub at 18" high, but thanks to Kimkats, we lowered it to 6" and I know I'll be much happier. She pointed out that we didn't want anything to block our view of the deep end so we lose sight of little ones swimming. Thankfully I had him change it at the last minute. I will feel much better now not having the view blocked.

We will have a pool fence that goes around the deck and there will be a double gate at an angle between the existing patio and deck that will open up wide for parties.

Our consultant will be getting a list to us later this week of the pool equipment and I will post it then. Tomorrow I will take pictures of the backyard of where it will be.

My husband is the UPS driver for our neighborhood and he saw 2 pools getting dug today and many more being built. He was even noticing the ones doing the digging are on our list of subs. Funny how you notice so much when you're going thru it.

Attachments

• Pool specs.jpg
    Pool specs.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: Vukota12
Get 2 skimmers, not 1. If your one skimmer has a problem your pool is shutdown. With 2 skimmers you can have a problem with a skimmer and take your time dealing with it while your pool works fine on the other skimmer.

What size pipes will be used for suction and return in pool and spa?

Post the specific equipment list with model numbers when you get it.

Skip the vacuum cleaner and get a robot pool cleaner.

You want all diverter valves and no ball valves used.

I told him we were getting a robot. I guess he forgot.

Is it possible to add another skimmer at this point without changing the plans? Do we just tell the plumber?

Are the plans calling for diverter valves or is that something I just need to check for? I’m not seeing that on there.

Is it possible to add another skimmer at this point without changing the plans? Do we just tell the plumber?

Someone needs to figure out the best placement for the second skimmer. I have no suggestion since the 4 returns are not indicated on what you posted.

Skimmer should be located into the prevailing winds. So you should look at where the 2 most common wind directions come from.

Are the plans calling for diverter valves or is that something I just need to check for? I’m not seeing that on there.

Nothing is stated in the plans. Plumbers often go with cheap ball valves to control water features. You should get a plumbing plan drawn up so you know what valves you will have to adjust your water features.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Here's where our pool will go. My husband has been moving the rock that was under the trampoline. It was a lot of rock too since we bought too much and just made it really touch under there. Then he'll get to move it back after the pool is done 😬.

Attachments

• 53A81588-B24B-4A91-8260-91958D214635.jpeg
    53A81588-B24B-4A91-8260-91958D214635.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 131
Our consultant is wondering which robot we want but I don't know. Which one is best? We will have some automation of Thai makes a difference, just not sure which one yet.

Order you robot separately from the pool build.. It will save you money.
A Maytronics S200 is a great, basic, robot.

Our consultant is getting our equipment at wholesale so I want to compare his price vs the price for the one thru here.

Just got the equipment list back from our consultant. Please tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 8FB9FD12-3AC4-44EF-88D0-1106B128F1AE.jpeg
    8FB9FD12-3AC4-44EF-88D0-1106B128F1AE.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 27CB5B49-3011-4CC7-AFE4-5779183AB4A3.jpeg
    27CB5B49-3011-4CC7-AFE4-5779183AB4A3.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 184

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a novice still, but a few questions about the equipment.

No salt water system? Looks like the "floater" is going to be used to chlorinate the pool. With the Intellicenter, adding a Pentair SWCG will be pretty easy.
Why the Intellibrite lights vs., say the Microbrites? The Microbrites use a standard 1.5" fitting, and are a newer generation light.
More information on the lighting is pretty interesting...

The Dolphin S200 is a nice choice, and not a bad price. A lot of PBs will charge $1k to $1,400, and the supplier most people get it from around here is priced about the same as you are getting it.

Are you going to get a real test kit for the pool? Around here, any issues with water, people will be able to help out if you can share your test numbers. It looks like there is a "test strip" kit in there, and while its only $6, would really be a waste to not get a full feature test kit.

Others may have a better perspective on the bigger things, but for the small things...
While the "nylon brush" is only $10, take a look at the whale brush on Amazon. First thing I did was swap out the standard brush the builder gave and used this.

Just a novice still, but a few questions about the equipment.

No salt water system? Looks like the "floater" is going to be used to chlorinate the pool.

With the Intellicenter, adding a Pentair SWCG will be pretty easy.
Why the Intellibrite lights vs., say the Microbrites? The Microbrites use a standard 1.5" fitting, and are a newer generation light.

The Dolphin S200 is a nice choice, and not a bad price. A lot of PBs will charge $1k to $1,400, and the supplier most people get it from around here is priced about the same as you are getting it.

Are you going to get a real test kit for the pool? Around here, any issues with water, people will be able to help out if you can share your test numbers. It looks like there is a "test strip" kit in there, and while its only $6, would really be a waste to not get a full feature test kit.

Others may have a better perspective on the bigger things, but for the small things...
While the "nylon brush" is only $10, take a look at the whale brush on Amazon. First thing I did was swap out the standard brush the builder gave and used this.

We are supposed to have a SWG. I’m assuming the floater is “just in case.”

I will mention the lights.

I thought the same thing about the brush.

I plan on buying the test kit from here so I planned on canceling the strips.

Last edited:
I did see in the first proposal, it does say salt, I just didn't see a SWCG listed in the updated equipment list. See which one they are going to use. The recommendation is to get 2x what the volume of the pool is. I couldn't tell from the posts, but for example, if the pool is 20,000 gallons, make sure you at least get the IC40 (40,000 gallon rated).

Also, for the lights, whatever you decide on, make sure they are all the same "type". Either all Intellibrite, or Microbrite. There have been posts that show the lights are not "exactly" the same across brands. So the pool lights and the spa light should be the same if you want the exact same color output in each section.

The funny thing is that you can see be ordered salt, just not the SWG to use it. LOL!
I know to get one twice as big but how do I know what that is? I was hoping someone could help me figure that out so I could tell him exactly what I want him to order.

I was hoping someone could help me figure that out so I could tell him exactly what I want him to order.
The SWCG should be bundled with the Intellicenter. I suspect the best unit to get is the IC40 unless your pool volume is above 25,000 gallons, which I doubt.

The 521906 Pentair IntelliCenter 5PSIC40 Pool and Spa Bundle Control System with Integrated Chlorine Generator, IC40 Cell and Wifi Link Kit includes:
(1) 150 AMP Sub Panel w/Integrated Chlorine Generator Transformer
(1) IntelliCenter 5PSIC40 Control System w/Touchscreen
(2) IntelliValve Valve Actuators
(8) 3HP Relays
(2) Temperature Sensors
(1) IC40 Cell Kit
(1) Wifi Link Kit

You don’t need or want the 4 way test strips. Get the Taylor K-2006C test kit or the TF-100 Test Kits.

How does this plumbing bid look? Anything that needs changed?

Attachments

• D0ED48E7-8380-43DA-B238-981280AB329D.jpeg
    D0ED48E7-8380-43DA-B238-981280AB329D.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 118

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.