O/B IN AZ VERY SOON....FINALLY STARTED 12/28

BUT ITS A DRY HEAT

May 28, 2020
Lake Havasu AZ
So we are finally submitting plans this week to the city and hope to be digging in by the first week of Nov. We had trouble figuring out the pool length, because we didnt want it too close to the house patio. This is going to be a complete backyard construction project. We have to have the one wall built before we dig anything, but once thats done, hopefully a couple months and the pool will be ready for plaster. There is also a pool house/casita going to be built during all this. End goal is May 2021, seems like plenty of time, but we know how fast time flies. I dont know equipment for sure yet, besides, we are going filter cartridge and salt system. I was in the industry 15 years ago, so i still have the basic knowledge and know guys still in the industry to help along the way.

Here is the current plan.

16'x30' basic rectangle 3.5' to 6.5", 2' tall raised bond beam (dirt slope behind), 7'x12' baja shelf with a full length bench on that side. also a 12' bench on opposite side of baja shelf. No pop ups, basic main drain with 4 or 5 returns and vacuum.
pool 7.PNG pool8.PNG pool6.PNG pool2.PNG pool3.PNG

I love designing and planning, so i had to download the program (free version) and play around with designs.

we look forward to the new project and all input is appreciated.

thanks

Reactions: Snoobug
We’ll be o/b in AZ soon too. Just finalizing our plan. We are in Gilbert, so a ways from you. I like how you put the floats in the plan. one of the first things our son said was, we get to get the big pool floats now 😁. We have a community pool but they aren’t allowed so he’s excited. Why do you have to build the fence before you can dig?

Herman
its a really big exciting project, i think i am more excited than the wife, but not more than the kid haha. we are going to do just about everything O/B, including the casita, unless the boss says no haha.

Niki
currently on the right side we have a slope that extends into where the pool is going to go, so i have to have a retaining wall built. once that is done it'll give me an additional 10 feet of "usable" space (patio chairs or lounges) cant put anything permanent in that space, its PUE (public utility easement). they didnt let me use the rear easement and its slopes into the yard, thats why i am doing the raised bond beam on the back, to help hold that dirt back. the lot had to be cut down on one side to be semi level to build the house. just wish they would have done the wall before we bought the house.

Reactions: Nikilyn
*****UPDATE****
Deposit for the wall to be built was made on 10/16 and was told "about 4 weeks until they start". Everyone is really busy here right now so im expecting 4-6 weeks from being put on the schedule. So because of that im calling everyone for dig quotes because im sure they are about the 2-3 weeks out. Once we get it dug, the plumbing and electrical will probably be done by a buddy and i on the weekend. The rebar will be tied off over a few days buy someone that does it everyday for a local pool builder after his day job. My goal is to have everything ready for plaster by Jan (Feb at the latest) because they have to finish building all the walls and put up fencing.

We found some glass tiles and porcelain tile at depot over last weekend and would really like to use it, but not sure if we can. I have read that you can use porcelain tile but also see just porcelain pool tiles being used and not floor tiles. if anyone has some insight on this, the info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Received our permit on Friday!!!!!
Now hopefully they start the wall soon because I want to get the ball rolling on all of this mess.

Tres -- Ill try talking to the wife about switching it up, but she loves the clean lines and look we came up with. Maybe we can make it a couple feet smaller to avoid a possible diving incident. Thanks for input.

Ive been talking to a few friends that have pools and some are saying stick to a basic 2HP pump, yet others are saying variable speed. Ive read most people (newer builders) are going VS and just trying to figure is the savings and maintenance over the long term, worth it up front.

Every pool Ive ever seen built in the last 20 years have auto fills on them, but ive heard to many horror stories regarding the issues with them. Wife is concerned that with our busy schedule i might forget to fill or turn off while filling....

Any help or insight on these issues is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Variable Speed Pump Electrical Costs.jpg
In the United States, variable speed (VS) motors will be required for all pumps over 1.1 total HP as of July 18, 2021. Purchasing a single speed pump or a 2-speed pump now for a new pool is discouraged.

A 2hp pump will use over 2Kwh of electricity. A VS pump running on low speeds will use 10% the electricity of a SS pump as illustrated by the chart above. A VS pump can pay for itself in energy savings in a few years.

Getting closer!

For the "sharp" point you can have it rounded slightly to take away some of the problem.

Auto fill-good and bad. I set a timer on my phone when I have the hose running into the pool. That has helped me not overflow it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the auto fill especially if you are in AZ, I can lose up to an inch a day from evaporation in the summer. It will only take a few days for the water level to drop below the skimmer and your pump will run dry unless you have a main drain. An auto fill will probably be the least problematic of all your equipment. Its just a $10 toilet valve that you can unscrew and replace in about 10 minutes. I have 2 pools and never had an issue with the auto fill.

Reactions: DanF and mknauss
thanks for the info and help.

Tres...I am looking into Helicol panels too, my dad has them and he really likes them. How many panels do you have and how long have you had them?

I am getting impatient and want this wall to be started so i can get the pool and res of the yard going. Everything is on hold until then.

So we are debating on pebble tec or regular smooth plaster. Our daughters feet seem to get beat up pretty bad when we are at friends plaster, but then again shes in there for hours and the pool is about 15-20 years old.

so many decisions haha

So we are debating on pebble tec or regular smooth plaster. Our daughters feet seem to get beat up pretty bad when we are at friends plaster, but then again shes in there for hours and the pool is about 15-20 years old.
You can get a pebble look and have it smooth. I am not familiar with all the different plasters but I have Wet Edge Primera Stone which is a smooth pebble finish. It does cost more but if you have the budget it is very nice. You can look at this link which explains the various types of plaster. This is from Wet Edge but it does provide general information which would be applicable to other manufacturers (like pebble tec) of pebble (aggregate) and basic plaster finishes.

Wet Edge Technologies – various types of plaster – overview of all products

That’s interesting you say her feet get beat up with plaster. I hear that with pebble.

yeah right under toes, where they meet her foot, it gets so bad it hurts to walk. shes pretty good about wearing water shoes, only for awhile but then again shes a red headed 4 year old haha. we have some other friends that have pebble tech/ pebble sheen and we love the colors but also hear the price and makes us rethink ha. we need to get down to one of the shops to take a look at actual colors in person (realistically in a pool) but there is not enough time in the day.

Are you coming to the Valley to look? I went to NPT today in Tempe. I was surprised at how rough their Quartzscapes was. Kind of like sand paper. The girl working was less than helpful. Her answer was, I don’t know, to most of my questions or something I knew wasn’t correct from my research. We went to CDC Pools in Chandler on Saturday. They have a couple pools set up with different finishes in water. We are leaning towards their quartz. It’s very smooth. The only thing holding me back is that I wanted it in a blue plaster and they will only do it in white because of mottling. They have their own brand of pebble and quartz. The men there were extremely helpful.

Reactions: BUT ITS A DRY HEAT
thanks for the insight. currently im not planning on getting there, but there are a couple companies that come here and plaster on the weekends...or so ive heard. i know we are awhile out but id ike to budget so i can plan. there are a few colors ive seen online that i like, but my phone, computer show it slightly different, so i feel i need to see it in person.

thansk

thanks for the info and help.

Tres...I am looking into Helicol panels too, my dad has them and he really likes them. How many panels do you have and how long have you had them?

I am getting impatient and want this wall to be started so i can get the pool and res of the yard going. Everything is on hold until then.

so many decisions haha
I love the Helicol panels I've had them for 6 years and no problems. I have 11 panels about 550 sq ft which is the approximate surface area of the pool. Ideally you want the panels sq footage to be sized about the area of the pool if you have the room on your roof with the right orientation and slope. It makes a huge difference lengthening the season. I have 2 pools one with solar and one without (a rental next door) which makes it easy to compare. Both pools are approx. the same size and have the same conditions. Today at 2pm the pool with solar is 83 degrees, the pool without solar is 67 degrees. Yes, a 16 degree difference so I am still swimming in November!! If you can't afford it up front at least stub in the pipes.

Reactions: BUT ITS A DRY HEAT
finally some progress...DIGGING DEC 28!!!! After talking to the wall builder and being told "any day now" several times, we finally have dirt moved. I let them know that we are digging on Dec 28, not moving it again, and it will be very hard for them to get around the pool to build the wall, they were out the next day digging the footings. they have mud scheduled for the footings on Tuesday, do i dont have a rebar sticking up with kids here for christmas.

with things finally moving, i sent over my design to my rebar and plumber (COVID) and they are scheduled after the new year. i have thought about doing the plumbing myself but dont want to screw that up. i am working on placement of skimmer and returns and could use some help before we plumb. (sorry but would only save as PDF) the wall with possible sheer descent is going to be 2ft raised bond beam due to that side one big slope. the shallow end is south and the deep end is north.

lighting is my other question...will 1 standard pool light in the shallow end be enough to light the pool with no real dark zones, or will i need to place another small one or just move main one to a different spot. i know with the castia i dont want to stare at the light or from the house, i know there is no perfect spot but not opposed to 2 smaller lights to get the look, but would i need/want one on the shelf too?

thanks for all the help

Attachments

• Backyard.pdf
    755.2 KB · Views: 29
In our last pool we put the light in the shallow end because it was the cheapest place to put it. Our deep end was dark. I wouldn't recommend it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.