Nub on a mission

I re-tested tonight and TA is at 170, but I did start the slam already. Should I try to lower the TA while slamming?
Nope. During a SLAM, nothing else matters but the FC, occasionally the CC, and the OLCT last. FC and cleaning are the focus.
This. If you've already started, focus on the SLAM. Address the TA after you are done.

Smiley, welcome back! If I read your first post correctly, I think you might be overestimating how much water is in your pool. That will affect how much LC and other chems you need to use. By my calculations, a 30' round by 4' deep comes out to about 16,700 gallons. The math wizards on here can double check my math. I hope this helps. Good luck with the SLAM!

The 69oz was really just meant to keep the algae at bay until I got my testing kit. Though, I was also going off the amount of gallons the pool store had on record. I calculated it today and I only have 16,900 gallons total. I need to update my profile here.

I re-tested tonight and TA is at 170, but I did start the slam already. Should I try to lower the TA while slamming?
Keep your pH where it should be and the TA will come down over time.

Smiley, welcome back! If I read your first post correctly, I think you might be overestimating how much water is in your pool. That will affect how much LC and other chems you need to use. By my calculations, a 30' round by 4' deep comes out to about 16,700 gallons. The math wizards on here can double check my math. I hope this helps. Good luck with the SLAM!
When I use the old pool math calculator it comes out to 21200?

Reactions: atccf
@LoneWolfArcher, thanks for the double check, I went back and redid the math and came up close to the same number as you 21200. I missed a step hence my lower number. I love this website.
Admittedly most calculators will do a round pool by just using the width (30 x 30) in this case, which will overestimate by a little. But better to over estimate than under in my humble opinion, especially when doing a SLAM. As long as the over isn't excessive (+20% or more).

Admittedly most calculators will do a round pool by just using the width (30 x 30) in this case, which will overestimate by a little. But better to over estimate than under in my humble opinion, especially when doing a SLAM. As long as the over isn't excessive (+20% or more).
The Poolmath page distinguishes between round, oval, and rectangle. 30 x 30 in round vs oval gives you the same output (21,200). 30x30 under rectangle is a bit more.

To me, I feel that the pool volume estimate is exactly that, especially for those who have kidney or freeform pool shapes. To get a truer result when calculating water volume, Test before and after liquid chlorine dosing and back into the water volume by using chlorine concentration and dosage as the constants.

The Poolmath page distinguishes between round, oval, and rectangle. 30 x 30 in round vs oval gives you the same output (21,200). 30x30 under rectangle is a bit more.

To me, I feel that the pool volume estimate is exactly that, especially for those who have kidney or freeform pool shapes. To get a truer result when calculating water volume, Test before and after liquid chlorine dosing and back into the water volume by using chlorine concentration and dosage as the constants.
Great point. I tend to treat my as a 20k pool since 19.5k is rarely listed on anything.

@LoneWolfArcher @ @Husky25 - thank you so much for talking that through! I’ve adjusted my volume to 21,200 in the Pool Math app, will adjust it in my profile here too.

wanted to give you all an update on the pool - I started the slam Monday night, measuring and treating 2x daily along with vacuuming once and brushing 3x. Based on CYA of 40 (Monday evening level) I’m slamming to FC of 16.
monday pm: FC was 1.5, added 252oz 12.5of bleach
Tuesday AM: FC was 6, added 173oz 12.5% bleach
Tuesday PM: FC was 5.5, added 181oz 12.5% bleach
Wednesday AM: FC was 8.5, added 203oz 10%

Want to make sure I’m not missing anything - please let me know if I am!

Reactions: Husky25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^^^^^^This!

The "M" in SLAM is Maintain, as in keep the chlorine at Slam level until completed. It can be
difficult with work and other obligations, but as @MITBeta said, as many times as you can
test and add, the faster the process will be completed.

Keep going and we're pulling for ya! 👍

You're using a lot of chlorine, still. If you could add 1-2 tests per day you might speed things up. Maybe test once in the morning, once when you get home from work, and once before bed?
I felt like I was still using a lot but don’t have much context beyond what I’m currently doing. Tonight pool math said I needed another 298 oz.

I work from home so I can text throughout the day if necessary. How long should I wait between adding chlorine and testing again?

^^^^^^This!

The "M" in SLAM is Maintain, as in keep the chlorine at Slam level until completed. It can be
difficult with work and other obligations, but as @MITBeta said, as many times as you can
test and add, the faster the process will be completed.

Keep going and we're pulling for ya! 👍
Thank you!!! I’ll start testing more often for sure. I can try testing every 4 hours tomorrow and Thursday. Going to need more chlorine too.

Reactions: Lilypad
Every 4 hrs is a good plan. I once did a SLAM on an every 2 hrs basis. (I'm disabled and retired, so I had nothing else to do!) Man, did that SLAM go fast! I think my pool cleared and passed the three criteria in about 3 days!
I’ve been testing and treating every 2 hours today - hoping it’ll be better by Saturday. Essentially once the organisms, algae etc. are dead it won’t take near as much bleach to keep it at FC 16 right?

Reactions: Newdude
Essentially once the organisms, algae etc. are dead it won’t take near as much bleach to keep it at FC 16 right
Correct. But then it shifts to a filtering fight because all that dead stuff needs to go. Keep
Your FC up so as not to lose any ground in the battle, but it should hold much longer than it did at the start, freeing you up to backwash/clean the filter anytime the PSI goes up 25%.

Correct. But then it shifts to a filtering fight because all that dead stuff needs to go. Keep
Your FC up so as not to lose any ground in the battle, but it should hold much longer than it did at the start, freeing you up to backwash/clean the filter anytime the PSI goes up 25%.
The PS told me I would need to change sand next year, but I didn’t clean the sand when we opened it. Watched the TFP video and cleaned the sand tonight. It was really gross. So glad we did it, hopefully it’ll help. The return pressure definitely increased though the gauge didn’t change post cleaning.

The PS told me I would need to change sand next year
Did we go over sand yet ? It’s a bazillion years old and will last a few more bazillion. Unless the PS gums it up with flocc and clarifier.

The return pressure definitely increased though the gauge didn’t change post cleaning.
The gauge could be clogged or broken. Many of them can be replaced for $15. Does it go to 0 when off ? That’s the easiest tell tale that something is wrong with the gauge.

Reactions: Husky25
Unless you've used a floc, clarifier or some other pool store coagulation, you probably don't have to change out your sand. A deep clean might be all that is necessary.

However, if you decide to, this is probably the only thing, other than maybe hardware, you should go back to the pool store to get. Filter sand from a Walmart or hardware store tends to be the wrong gauge and will either not filter appropriately or come back into the water through the returns.

Did we go over sand yet ? It’s a bazillion years old and will last a few more bazillion. Unless the PS gums it up with flocc and clarifier.

The gauge could be clogged or broken. Many of them can be replaced for $15. Does it go to 0 when off ? That’s the easiest tell tale that something is wrong with the gauge.
I read the TFP theology of sand and appreciate it’s not another thing I need to run out and replace. BUT; this pool was included in the purchase of our new home, and I do indeed see clarifier etc. on the shelf of left over pool chemicals the previous owner left behind. That lead me to wanting to at least clean the sand. I’m really glad we did, it was really dirty.
We replaced the gauge early this season, but never saw a pressure change after installing new gauge. Not really sure why, but the old gauge was stuck at 60 and would rise to 70 once running.
Unless you've used a floc, clarifier or some other pool store coagulation, you probably don't have to change out your sand. A deep clean might be all that is necessary.

However, if you decide to, this is probably the only thing, other than maybe hardware, you should go back to the pool store to get. Filter sand from a Walmart or hardware store tends to be the wrong gauge and will either not filter appropriately or come back into the water through the returns.
As I’ve been brushing/vacuuming there have been a lot of debris clouds that rise/mix. After the cleaning of the filter last night there is hardly any debris clouds popping up today. I think we’ve been running the pump about 4 weeks now, I’m so glad it seems like it’s finally filtering things out.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.