NPT Stonescapes French Gray - Need a tad darker

TmkemD

In The Industry
Sep 12, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I am losing my mind trying to choose a water/plaster color. My PB uses Stonescapes mini pebbles. We like the blue-gray tones of French Gray, but it is a bit too light. What is my next option that will yield the same tones without being too dark? We are considering French Gray - Touch of Glass, but can't quite figure out if that will help create a bit deeper of a color. Thank you!!

Here is a thread all about plaster colors! I hope this is helpful:

You can also add in darker pebbles to change the overall color.

Reactions: TmkemD
Here is a thread all about plaster colors! I hope this is helpful:

You can also add in darker pebbles to change the overall color.
Thank you. Doesn't the addition of darker pebbles void any warranties?

That is something to ask your PB to be on the extra safe side. If they say yes then you can swap out some of the lighter ones for the darker ones to keep the ratio the same as far as pebble to plaster ratio.

I am looking for a medium blue with gray undertones. I can't decide if Tropics Blue is too dark for us. I want to see the bottom a little, but French Gray is way too light. Thoughts?
I am in the same situation but my PB only uses Pebbletec. I don’t love the pebble look and like the evenness of French Grey pebble but the color is too light. I loved the French grey jewelscapes but I have to stick with Pebbletec. I couldn’t find any photos of it either of actual water color. I asked about switching pebbles or doing double pigment. Was concerned to change liquid to powder to pebble ration. You have to sign a waiver. My idea is I am asking to just use another darker pigment so it doesn’t change the wet dry ratio. I am going with French Grey pebble with Prism blue pigment. Pebbletec needs that color. I am hoping since it is standard pebble it won’t increase the price. I plan n adding the shimmering sea to it.

Did you ever learn how to darken French gray? I was thinking about adding sky blue and med blue beads to mini pebbles if possible to give a deeper color. Also want to keep pool from looking too green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you ever learn how to darken French gray? I was thinking about adding sky blue and med blue beads to mini pebbles if possible to give a deeper color. Also want to keep pool from looking too green.
Unfortunately, no. I was thinking adding blue beads would work to darken it as well (instead of black beads) while adding no green to the water color. I wish someone had experience with this!

Reactions: Oona
I am in the same situation but my PB only uses Pebbletec. I don’t love the pebble look and like the evenness of French Grey pebble but the color is too light. I loved the French grey jewelscapes but I have to stick with Pebbletec. I couldn’t find any photos of it either of actual water color. I asked about switching pebbles or doing double pigment. Was concerned to change liquid to powder to pebble ration. You have to sign a waiver. My idea is I am asking to just use another darker pigment so it doesn’t change the wet dry ratio. I am going with French Grey pebble with Prism blue pigment. Pebbletec needs that color. I am hoping since it is standard pebble it won’t increase the price. I plan n adding the shimmering sea to it.
I actually love the Pebbletec French Grey better than the Stonescapes French Grey. I think it seems darker with Pebbletec, which what I was hoping to find. Good luck! I am sure it will be gorgeous, especially with the shimmer!

We didn't really figure it out and we are going with Touch of Glass Aqua Blue. My neighbor has this and it is gorgeous. We saw Tropics Blue and it was very dark and not what we wanted so decided against it. For the French Gray, I think the plaster contractor can alter the mix a bit to make it darker, but you won't really have any way of knowing how it will look until you do it. In terms of adding glass, the answer I got was that it may make it about 10 percent darker.

Bumping in hopes of an update! I'm also in the same situation - I can only choose from NPT mini pebble line. What's considered a little darker than French Gray mini? Would it be the Tropics Blue mini? I wish there was a color in between the 2!
Please let us know what you ended up doing!
I was finally able to see a Tropics Blue in person yesterday and it was pretty dark. It wasn't so dark that you couldn't see the bottom, but I just didn't like the look. I think it can look so different depending on the application. I've seen other pools with this online that are gorgeous. We are going with Aqua Blue Touch of Glass. My neighbor has it and it is a medium blue and gorgeous. I do think NPT needs another medium gray/blue option for Stonescapes.

Reactions: cadw2005
TmkemD - I saw Tropic Blue in person as well and I agree - it's too dark. Some pics online make it look a lot lighter. I'm leaning towards French Gray Touch of Glass or Salt & Pepper Touch of Glass. Waiting on PB to give me a quote on how much extra that'll cost. We already have overages so we may just settle for the regular mini version of one of those.

I need to ask PB if I can customize the mix for those too - like exchange some of the bags of white aggregate for black aggregate.

Just an update - We got slightly modified French Gray mini. Standard stonescapes formula is 11 bags white pebble and 1 bag black pebble. I did 10 white 2 black and 1 bag abalone per batch. Almost did 9 and 3. Glad I didn't. Stonescapes seems to currently have A LOT of beige in their white pebbles compared to the sample plaster pieces I got from the PB. So I'd call my color Greige - gray and beige. It does look good though! My tile is black and coping off white.
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 8.11.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.24.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.24.56 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Just an update - We got slightly modified French Gray mini. Standard stonescapes formula is 11 bags white pebble and 1 bag black pebble. I did 10 white 2 black and 1 bag abalone per batch. Almost did 9 and 3. Glad I didn't. Stonescapes seems to currently have A LOT of beige in their white pebbles compared to the sample plaster pieces I got from the PB. So I'd call my color Greige - gray and beige. It does look good though! My tile is black and coping off white.
View attachment 399916View attachment 399917View attachment 399918
Do you happen to have any pics once filled? Thanks!

I am choosing our color option now and like white pebble and french grey, but have also heard as of recently that the white pebbles used in stonescapes right now is not very white and looking more like tan so our PB advised against it. Do you happen to have a picture of the pool now that it is filled?

Reactions: Jbnilla
I am choosing our color option now and like white pebble and french grey, but have also heard as of recently that the white pebbles used in stonescapes right now is not very white and looking more like tan so our PB advised against it. Do you happen to have a picture of the pool now that it is filled?
Hi! I’m in the same boat. Would love to see update pics of your either of your pools completed! Thank you 😊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.