Now my pool question

Hey Bosco, welcome to TPF. If you will allow me, I would like to suggest that everything you need to know about learning managing your pool chemistry is right here on TFP. With a little time, you'll know more than most pool store employees. Most importantly, you will have a beautiful pool and understand how you got it there, and how to keep it there. You'll also realize you don't have to pay doulble the money or more for the same thing the grocery or hardware store sells. Please let us know how it goes.

Not a matter of trust. I'm just trying to learn. I have read the shocking procedures but I really am confused on the dropping 1ppm over night and re teasing etc. I take all advicebut had a jug of oxy so thought I would give that a try first. Why not use what I have already?

I trust info from forums I love forums. I just don't understand shocking yet and am finding it a bit difficult. Sorry if you feel like it's an us against them. Not trying to do that just trying to learn

bosco0633 said:
.... I trust the pool store and yes chemicals are costly but I'm new to this and need to understand. ....

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
As others have posted... I would not trust a pool store. Trust the advice her at TFP.
Chemicals are costly at the pool stores but bleach is cheap.

Here is a picture of TFP! salt/bleach pool.
clearpool.jpg

:cheers:

bosco0633 said:
Not a matter of trust. I'm just trying to learn. I have read the shocking procedures but I really am confused on the dropping 1ppm over night and re teasing etc. I take all advicebut had a jug of oxy so thought I would give that a try first. Why not use what I have already?

I trust info from forums I love forums. I just don't understand shocking yet and am finding it a bit difficult. Sorry if you feel like it's an us against them. Not trying to do that just trying to learn

Well what is it about shocking that you are unclear about? Ask and you will get answers.

It is pretty easy to shock.

Here is the cya/chlorine chart

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Based off of your cya of 60 you need to do the following. I would do this right when the sun goes down and try to do the retest before the sun comes up. Cholorine is used up by organics and sunlight. So by doing it at night you eliminate the sun from the equation.

So first of all tonight or when you get ready find out what your FC level is. Then refer to the chart above I posted a link for and find in the SWG section of the charge what your CYA is. With a cya of 60 your shock level is 24.

Then once you find out what your starting level is use the pool calculator here

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

You will see a section called size, this is where you put in the amount of gallons your pool is.

Then a little below that is a two boxes and a section labeled FC.

The first box is what your FC reading was when you took it. The next box is what you are trying to get to which is 24. So then after you do this it will show you how much bleach you should add. Then basically go and add how much ever bleach it tells you to add. After you do this about 30 minutes to an hour later go and retest your FC level. After this final test just write down what your FC level is at that time and do not add anymore bleach or cholorine or anything. Then in the morning before the sun comes up test again. If your FC level drops more than 1 ppm, CC is higher than .5, you will need to continue to shock. So keeping the FC level at shock more frequently will help the process go quicker. So if it does drop more than one or your CC level is above .5 you need to keep shocking. Once you pass the overnight test with a loss of FC 1.0 PPM or Less, CC at a level of .5 or less and water is starting to clear or clear you are done shocking. Allow the FC level to come back down on its own, but never let it get below 3.

This is one of the reasons you need a good test kit so you can shock properly without having to run back and forth to the pool store.

Hopefully this helps some

bosco0633 said:
Ok that is good info. I am trying to get my cya up to 70 so FC will be 3ppm right? My pool is 18,000 gallons so I will try and figure this out.

So in the size box at the top out in 18000.

For now while shocking I would not mess with CYA and leave it where it is. After you are done shocking at a CYA of 60 your target is 4, but never below 3. I always keep my FC level 1 PPM above the target just to be safe. But since you are shocking you need to refer to the shocking level column not target or min.

So with a CYA of 60 your shock level is 24. You need to keep it here as much as you can during the day and then follow the directions above for the test at night and the retest in the am. Hopefully that clears up some more.

Ok so I think that I finally understand shocking. Last night I turned the SWG off, the pool had recieved 2kg of oxyout on Sunday night. I also had the SWG set to 35%. After reading all the posts, I shut the SWG off and last night I measured my FC. I was at 15ppm so I added 560oz of bleach last night. the FC was up to 30ppm

then this am I was at 29ppm. So do I need to shock again or let the numbers drop now?

What effect will all this rain that is about to hit have on my shocking?

Do you think that the oxyout helped or the bleach?

I am going to order a new kit today because I think that the pool shoppe is sick of seeing me. What is the best kit to get in Canada or US I can do a PO box order

You're done shocking when the water is clear, CC is less than .5, and you lose 1ppm or less overnight. If all three are good, you're done.

The rain itself shouldn't affect much, just dilution, as it has nothing in it. Any runoff that gets into the pool could introduce unwanted stuff, but if FC is 29, it should kill it all as it hits.

Richard320 said:
You're done shocking when the water is clear, CC is less than .5, and you lose 1ppm or less overnight. If all three are good, you're done.

Bosco, you seem to have passed the 1ppm overnight part of the test. Now, is CC less than 0.5? Is pool clear?

If both answers are Yes, let FC drop, you are done shocking.

If either answer is No, keep going, keep FC at 30 all day and test overnight again, you are not done shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well like I said I need to order a new kit. The one I got with the pool is not going to cut it and the pool store is getting annoyed. I can't tell difference between FC and CC. So I am not sure if cc is below .05. I will hit it again tonight and I will need to get a kit right away. The pool store had a kit and I can't remember name of it. It was a Taylor blue plastic case something like kc-

It was around 179.00 is that to much?

Well, you can get a TF-100 like I have (and most of the people on this forum have) for $68 plus shipping, very fast delivery, and almost anyone here can answer any question you have if you need help. You could add the SpeedStir (highly recommended) and salt strips and overnight shipping and beat that price.

I can't see where you are located, shipping to Canada and overseas is difficult, but USA is easy-peasy.

I just found the tftest kit website, looks like it is from this website. I tried to purchase a kit, but when it come to billing I cant put in a Canadian address. I need to add the Canadian address for billing and then I can give my US address for shipping. Is this something that anyone has tried or accomplished before? I called the number under contact us and it went to somones personal answering machine

That number is almost always answered immediately. Let them get back to you, you can order over the phone. That site is owned by a beloved forum member and it just may be that they have a life outside of this forum. Or they are outside swimming!

I just got back from Canada, what a lovely place! We hiked around Koontenay and Banff National Parks, both sides of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Wow. The number of bears on the side of the road in Koontenay NP was amazing. Elk in town in Banff townsite. We even saw a porcupine at Lake Louise. Too cold for river rafting for me just yet, I may try that another time a bit later in the year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.