Not sure what is in my pool

May 7, 2018
FL
My pool has been neglected but last week I started getting it back on track. It was green and gross.

My pool is about 15,000 gallons and has a pebbletec finish. I use a Taylor K2006 test kit.

On 7/18 My initial test showed:
FC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = Forgot to test
CH = 1400
CYA = 0

I started To SLAM and then looked into the high calcium. After lots of reading I realized I needed to replace water (planned for tomorrow). I was going to add CYA after I drained/filled pool. The last week I kept an eye on chlorine, brushed everyday, and vacuumed (but vacuum broke on Tuesday, waiting for replacement). Water is blue but very cloudy.

On 7/25 (today) my numbers are:
FC = 3
PH = 7.0
TA = 90
CH = 1400
CYA = 0

Now that the water is blue I noticed the walls of my pool are brownish color and there is a very rough layer on the walls. Almost like someone glued sand to the tile. It also feels like sand on the steps. Brushing is not removing it but I can scrape with my fingers. The photo looks yellow but it’s more brown in color.B14EF6C7-6BA1-40EE-B3EA-1A1C2F9E8D1F.jpeg

I though calcium deposits at first because of the high calcium. But some articles I’ve read are pointing to mustard algae.
Does anyone have an idea what this is and what my next steps should be?

Last edited:
Have you ever used Cal-Hypo? What is your fill water testing at for Calcium?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.