Not even sure it's the pump... but could it be the pump? Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump.

Apr 7, 2012
Well... after spending hours and hours trying to troubleshoot... I find myself here on TFP!

Situation:
I have this pump:
Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump

I have run a drain bladder to both the inlet and outlet sides and I have flow (no obstructions). The RPM on the VSP is showing as indicated. In my case I have three settings 1000RPM, 2400RPM and 3000RPM. However I am not getting nearly the suction at the strainer or the vac (the pool only has a strainer so the vac goes into the inlet at the base of the strainer housing.

The gauge on the Jandy shows pressure, but is suspect as far as condition.

I removed the motor from the impeller housing, removed the three screws that secure the impeller and everything looks as it should. (clean, etc.)

I have not replaced any seals (o-rings) etc. since the pump was put in service in April 2014. So I am uncertain if that is a factor. I have put a some grease, etc. but no difference to performance.

Is this a no brainer? "Do the impeller, and rings, stupid Pete" -- or... is there more? Could it be the O-ring on the Jandy side? Something else I might be overlooking. There isn't even enough vac to move the indicator that comes with the Great White. So it's loooooooow.

The sight glass on the Hayward is about 2/3 full not NOT right up to the underside of the clear plastic. No unusual noises.

Thoughts and ideas very appreciated. :)
Pete

Pete,

Are you getting high filter pressure??? If you have high filter pressure along with low flow or suction, it is almost always a clogged filter.

When was the last time your filter was opened and cleaned?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pete,

So tell us more...

I assume it has been working well since 2014. When did the problem start? Did you do anything at all to your pool just before the problem started?

What does the flow feel like when you put your hand in front of a pool return?

What is the filter pressure when running at 1000, 2400, and then at 3000??

Other than the fact that your cleaner does not run, what else makes you think you have a pump issue.. ??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did nothing prior to noticing.

When you put hand in front of outlet in pool, it feels like there is no water jetting out like it normally does. There is a SMALL of flow.
When working normally, the suction at the base of the skimmer would cause your hand to be bleeding if you got too close to it (don't ask me how I know) Now... you can just barely feel suction. (this is all at 3000RPM)

The gauge is very hard to read, but it is near zero at 1000, maybe 10 at 2400 and 15 at 3000 -- but I could be totally off on that number since I'm going from memory. The gauge is also very wonky -- if you tap it, it moves/jumps around. So I would not trust that. I would go more by the fact that there is nearly no flow at the outlet and nearly no suction at the inlet. I would rule out an obstruction since I was able to drain bladder it and get flow on the inlet and outlet side.

A picture of what? Everything that is in the system is in my signature... not sure what you want to see... but I'm happy to take a picture of it.

The water level in the strainer basket remains in the same place when the power is off.

Would using an industrial shop-vac (yes, I have one LOL) be a better way to clear any possible obstruction? My thought would be to plug the inlet at the base of the skimmer, and then vac it from the pump...??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, yes, I have been vacuuming directly... and have been for as long as I have owned the house (before the 2014 install of the pump)... and never had a problem.
If the line is clear, why would that matter?

Ok. Update.

Vac'd it and has improved flow at outflow in pool, but not nearly where it should be.

She's a great "tell" If I open the valve at the outlet side of the Jandy, the water comes out like a firehose.

My guess is there's an obstruction at the outlet side?

Also, when I open the outflow valve next to the Jandy, the water level in the strainer basket @ the Hayward goes to the top.

Logic tells me there's an obstruction at the output side return to the pool? Yes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.