Not enough sun pointing the pool. So the water is cold all the time

Jun 4, 2018
Cerritos, CA
Due to the house location, my pool about (20,000 gallons) only exposes to the sun partially during the day. It gets blocked by my second story house. I bought the pool bubble cover but it does not help.

Now summer time here in SoCal. But the water is still cold. FYI, our friends house which exposed full sun all day, the pool water is warm.

Is there any other ideas besides installing a pool heater pump which cost a bundle?

Thanks,
Frank

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

If your pool water does not warm up enough for you, then you need a heater. That could be a pool heater or solar heat panels. All cost some amount of money.

The most important thing to keep your pool water warm is to use the bubble cover at night. That is when the pool water cools.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Unfortunately, you have a two story house which makes roof solar panels a little more difficult. Do you have a single story bump out you could install the solar panel on? Solar panels are pretty simple - they shouldn't be too expensive to install, especially in SoCal where there should be plenty of competition.

Failing that, for supplemental heat in a warm climate, a heat pump. Gas would work too, but I think it works best when the heating load is more than just "supplemental" (heat pumps only go up to about 100,000BTU).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.