Not Complaining, but...

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
I've been following your methods and using your test kit and supplies for several years. All my algae problems are a thing of the past. This year, my pool has looked cleaner and more pristine than ever. However, I am hardly using any chlorine!

In the past, to keep the CL at the right level for the CYA I would use about 1 qt. of high strength CL (shock) every day. This year I only need a pint, and over the course of a week there might be 1 or 2 days when I don't need to add any at all!

Same water, same CL supply, same CYA, same pool usage. What could be the difference?

Pyrodav is likely right. We really have had a VERY mild summer with little intense sun. It’s likely this has caused you to have reduced chlorine burn off.

Hello fellow NY'er! I questioned something similar a bit back, but found out I have been lucky compared to others (was also told the % of the Chlorine/Bleach could be higher than what is printed on the label because it was a fresh batch). I generally only add 24oz of Walmart Chlorine daily. Sometimes adjusting if there was a heavy swimming load. I did a 14 day average FC consumption & it comes out to 1.75ppm per day (CYA is 50 for my pool). I just enjoy the low cost and test about every 3 days under normal use. Hope this helps assure you that all is well.

Last edited:
It is definitely the weather and a big difference. Last year, I was adding 32 oz. one day and 64 oz. the next day. Each week, I would skip a day or so. This year, 32 oz. each day and still skipping a day here and there. Same time as last year. Burning off about 1 ppm daily vs. 1.35 ppm (on average weekly).

In NJ, we had a week of cold weather where temperature dropped into 70's. Last year, August was hot. This year, not so much.

Today's weather was 80+ with full sunshine over my pool in my treeless backyard. Tonight's test showed still within the appropriate CL range, but I added a squirt anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure weather has something to do with it, but even on hot days I'm using 1/2 or less.

I'm sure nothing is "wrong" - just curious I guess.

Thanks for all the replies...

Is it possible last year you were right on the edge of an algae bloom and were just keeping it in check with the additional add? Two things eat FC; sun and organics

The algae bloom was 2 years ago. Last year all was perfect, as I followed your recommendations. I was not "at the edge" because I was in the middle of the FC you suggest for my CYA level.

Again today, full sun, 85, no wind, and i didn't even have to add ANY CL tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh No....I just had another thought....

This all started when I bought and received a new supply of chemicals. Could the CL test liquid that you add dropwise be less potent than the batch I had from last year? Thus, could I be getting a lower CL test result than it really is?

I say that because I'm sorry I have been bragging this year. My test results from the TFT-100 show that I have exceeded the target CL levels for my CYA every day, and yet today I have a slight algae bloom.

Off to the local chemical plant to get some fresh hypochlorite...

Gypsy ==

Throughout this thread you never provided a complete set of recent test results from using your TF100. Is it possible for you to do that?

Being good, in range, middle of target, etc is nice, but the data tells the tale.

Good luck.

Gypsy ==

Throughout this thread you never provided a complete set of recent test results from using your TF100. Is it possible for you to do that?

Being good, in range, middle of target, etc is nice, but the data tells the tale.

Good luck.

My CYA was 50 at pool opening, but then we went on vacation and had to use an automatic chlorinator for the 10 days we were gone, so naturally it went up.

Current results are:
CYA = 60
Target CL = 5-7
Actual CL = 7-8, never once lower than 5 in the evening test
pH = 7.4 consistently all summer
Temp = 73-77 F
TA = 100
CC = 0
CH = didn't test

I'm using concentrated Sodium Hypochlorate from a chemical company (sold as "pool CL") and the stuff is real fresh, unlike the "shock" from a pool store. On a solids basis its cheaper than bleach from WalMart...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.