Northern IL - leave AGP up over winter? Pros and cons

18’ Summer Waves Elite Frame Pool- vinyl liner supported by metal leg frame. No metal walls or base.

Hello all,
So, after spending an epic 6 weeks leveling and setting up pool we are wondering if we have to take it down for a northern IL winter.
If we left it up it would freeze solid. I’m sure of it. We would partially drain it, treat it, remove mechanics, cover it, use air pillow, and all the other recs I’ve seen (thank you all!) but will the solid freeze ruin the plastic liner, rendering it useless come Spring?

If we do take it down we would roll it, use talcum, and store in basement. How can we cover the dirt hole in backyard during the winter to keep the dog out of it?

Thank you!
Justine

i take mine down every winter. not worth the risk of something hitting the frozen liner and splitting it.. i just vacuum it dry and wipe it out with a towel and fold it up.. As far as your dirt goes toss a tarp and a few 2x4's over it to hold it down? im going to pull mine today the temps have dropped enough at night that it will not be warm enough to swim in and its nice and sunny today making things easy to fold and put away.

I have a Intex Ultra and leave it up year round in Manitoba winters, all good. Been doing it for 3 years now with no issues. I just do the basic winterizing routine, put a mesh cover on it until the first snow, and leave it off for the winter.

My intex ultra frame gets left up over winter, freezes solid, three years with no problems. Taking it down and storing in my opinion is harder on it. Pin hole leaks will develop.
I drain 6" below the returns and cover the whole thing with an oversized winter cover. It's big enough to rest on the water, go up the sides and hang over the top edge. I clamp it to the top frame. I wouldn't waste time with an air pillow, just let it sit on the water. I also set water filled chlorine jugs on top the cover to keep it from blowing in the wind, once it rains and water is on the cover it's not a problem. If I didnt get tons of debris blowing in there I'd probably leave it uncovered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.