Hatman52

Apr 27, 2022
Central Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First time leaving an above-ground pool up in the winter. Looking for advice on cover, pillow, and pump.

We've had an above-ground pool for the past 10 years, starting with the plastic "shells" when our daughter was a newborn, moving up through inflatables and then vinyl pools. Always set them up on the patio or a paved turn-around in our drive, and took them down in the fall. Until this year. Excavated a permanent spot in the yard for an Intex 16' XTR round pool, which is big as we'll be able to fit on our urban lot. Plan is to leave it up over the winter.

I've read about 100 threads on the site, and there's far from a consensus on the best method. We're in Central Ohio, and we average about 22" of snow per year. The snow tends to be fairly wet and heavy, and it's often preceded by freezing rain. Also, we have a lot large, mature trees in our yard and the surrounding area, so we do end up with a lot of leaves on the ground. Several are oaks, which tend to not lose their leaves until well into winter. Since we're in a pretty compact urban neighborhood with so many large mature trees, we don't get a huge amount of wind.

While a mesh cover sounds attractive, I'm concerned about wet leaves sitting on the cover all winter and "steeping" into the pool water. And anyone who's watched an oak leaf cling to a body panel seam on your car at 75 mph knows how hard it is to remove those, particularly when wet.

Solid cover have their own issues, of course, but should ultimately protect the water better, assuming they stay attached and don't break.

So, here's my plan: Cheap cover from Doheny's ($31) - figure it's cheap enough to be disposable, and will upgrade to a better cover next winter (or switch to mesh if the solid cover doesn't work out). 4 x 4 Air Pillow from Doheny's ($13). Cheap Ocean Blue manual pump from Doheny's ($59) - again, figure this year will be a "trial run", and can upgrade for next winter if necessary.

I do have a leaf net that's on the pool now, and plan to use it over the solid cover until things freeze up.

Thoughts? Additional advice?

and there's far from a consensus on the best method.
There are so many choices and most folks have a work in progress, experimenting to find what works best for them. It literally takes years to hammer out. But don't worry, none of the choices are wrong, some will just work better for you, or your preferences.

So. You should get about 2.5ft of rain and melted snow in your Ohio off season. You will need to drain the pool, or it's cover, accordingly. It's your choice which way, but you will be draining.

If you perform one last thorough yard cleanup after the leaves drop, not that much will blow into an above ground pool. You can likely go uncovered if you wish.

For those that cover, some like pillows and some don't. Like everything else, I suggest everyone try the without ways first because it's free. If you end up needing a cover and/or a pillow, you'll feel better about the cost and the PITA of installing it year after year.

Reactions: Decoy205
Sounds like a good plan 👍🏻
With a manual pump you have to remember to use it! Stay on top of that as best you can to prevent overflow issues etc. I use the leaf net & dump it after the majority of the leaves have fallen & put it back on. It works well & prevents a really nasty mess. You really can’t do much about ice & snow except be sure your cover isn’t too tight (pulling on the walls/rails) & pump off what you can when you can.

Reactions: Newdude
If you perform one last thorough yard cleanup after the leaves drop, not that much will blow into an above ground pool. You can likely go uncovered if you wish.

For those that cover, some like pillows and some don't. Like everything else, I suggest everyone try the without ways first because it's free. If you end up needing a cover and/or a pillow, you'll feel better about the cost and the PITA of installing it year after year.
Thanks Newdude. We have way too many huge trees in our yard and surrounding us, and leaf season runs from October through March. So there's never really a "final"cleanup, as the snow hits long before all the leaves are down. So while I'm tempted to try the "what can it hurt to try it?" method of not using a cover, I'm afraid I'd have to shovel our pool out in the Spring if I did!

Sounds like a good plan 👍🏻
With a manual pump you have to remember to use it! Stay on top of that as best you can to prevent overflow issues etc. I use the leaf net & dump it after the majority of the leaves have fallen & put it back on. It works well & prevents a really nasty mess. You really can’t do much about ice & snow except be sure your cover isn’t too tight (pulling on the walls/rails) & pump off what you can when you can.
Thanks Mdragger88. I'd read people have problems with freezing water/ice with the automatic pumps, so I thought I'd go manual to start. And I'll definitely use my leaf net over the cover.

I used 3/4" PVC with 3/8 clear tube for cover draining. Clear tube so you can see it coming. I had two lines going for siphoning.

Pool floats are meant to be in a pool. Used these for years.

Thanks JoeSelf. So you just manually siphon (ie: suck on the end of the hose) to drain your pool cover?

We have way too many huge trees in our yard and surrounding us, and leaf season runs from October through March. So there's never really a "final"cleanup, as the snow hits long before all the leaves are down. So while I'm tempted to try the "what can it hurt to try it?" method of not using a cover, I'm afraid I'd have to shovel our pool out in the Spring if I did!
Fair enough and I feel that. I was overrun with white and red oaks at my old place and I forget now which one, but one of them was a slow release all winter with finally dropping whatever was left in the early spring. Then the other ones dropped sticks on the daily. :ROFLMAO:

So yeah. Cover it is. (y)

You'll get 'your way' down with the first few years being experiments. And that's the best part, if something doesn't go so well, there is always next year.

Keep us posted and we'll help too. :)

I had a siphon pump (the kind with a bulb) & was always having to go out & fool with it. Same with the hose siphoning. Having to coordinate starting the pump & getting as much off as possible before freezing temps happen.
Any of them will freeze so thats always a consideration that needs to be taken but the automatic part is great because now I just have to worry about the temp. If we get freezing weather I just pull it out & sit it on the deck but the cover pretty much stays dry all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the harbor freight version of that one
I do remove it when freezing temps happen because the outlet hose freezes faster than a puddle on the cover so it will try to pump but have no where for it to go & I don’t wanna burn it up. I just set it on the deck right next to the pool - it’s been great

Reactions: Decoy205
I've had this pump for a couple of years and it works great, ice and snow proof. Clears the excess water off the cover fast.

I have the regular wayne submersible pump and it’s a solid piece of equipment. I was seriously considering the wayne cover pump because of that. Glad to hear it works well.
I have the harbor freight version of that one
I do remove it when freezing temps happen because the outlet hose freezes faster than a puddle on the cover so it will try to pump but have no where for it to go & I don’t wanna burn it up. I just set it on the deck right next to the pool - it’s been great
That was another I was looking at. Seems like a great value .

The wayne pump does have freeze protection, I've left it in solid ice with no issue (well, wouldn't be able to get it out of the solid ice block anyways.. :)). The only problems I've had is with heavy winds blowing the tarp around, it can cause the pump to tip on it's side triggering the pump switch to short cycle. To solve that issue, I put it on a wifi switch and turn it off/on remotely.

I do get quite a bit of oak leaves and they are large enough to get blocked by the pump strainer but the pump will get clogged with pine needles. Usually I try to go out a couple of times over winter to clear off the leaf debris but it hasn't been anything I've lost sleep over.

Since I use an air pillow in the middle, I also have to move the pump around since my cover tends to get pockets of water and I can't seem to find a common low spot on the pool.

Did not know about the harbor freight version but wouldn't be surprised it comes out of same factory in China

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.