Pool up or down in Florida "winter"?

sophiepeach

Nov 12, 2022
West Palm Beach, FL
It never gets close to freezing where I live in South Florida. I have a Bestway steel frame/vinyl pool about 5000 gallons. At some point, it will be too cold to swim comfortably. Rather than spend money and time keeping the water nice, could I just drain it, lay down the supports where it sits so it's all flat and then cover the whole thing? It cost about $15 to fill it up so not nearly as much as the chemicals to maintain the water over the "winter". Thoughts? We are brand new to having the pool and, the other piece is, I can tell we didn't do the best job setting it up so this would give us another chance to do it right when things warm up.

It is a bit unlevel. There's one corner that is a bit lower than the rest. Probably 2 inches. We got the pool for free as part of a promotion but had to set it up quickly to feature it on social media as part of the agreement so we didn't have time to do it right. Would the water get below 60 degrees if the air temp is not usually that cold each day?

you should either leave it up (you could close it like this 👇
or leave it open)
Or completely take it down, dry it & store it.
Just laying it on the ground & covering it up has the issues Kim mentioned as well as the potential for causing rust with all the poles & a home for vermin.

Reactions: sophiepeach
Yes m'am! You got it!

The store it properly is the hardest part as we both know all about Florida critters and insects! It has to be dry, dry, dry and put somewhere the critters and insects cannot get to it. Some people put talcum powder to help it not stick together like plastic likes to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.