Normal SWG wear and tear?

Pat_

Sep 19, 2018
Brisbane
Is this normal wear and tear for a SWG cell after 3.5 years of service? The electrodes are heavily etched.

Typically runs 10-12hrs a day, pump on low speed. Generally around 20% output (cell is oversized for my pool).

PH is automated with acid dosing at 7.6 and the rest of balance is kept in check.

Typically:
FC 3
PH 7.6
Alkalinity 80
CYA 10
CH 400
Salt 4000

Attachments

• C6A7FD1A-80FB-43A0-A72F-7D5F76806839.jpeg
    C6A7FD1A-80FB-43A0-A72F-7D5F76806839.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 69598FBC-407F-48B6-BC8F-4B2F9FEDA3B1.jpeg
    69598FBC-407F-48B6-BC8F-4B2F9FEDA3B1.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Your plates look fairly typical and I don't see a lot of buildup on them. But, your water is not proper for saltwater pool. Check out this for water chemical levels. Your CYA in particular is way too low.

Your plates look fairly typical and I don't see a lot of buildup on them. But, your water is not proper for saltwater pool. Check out this for water chemical levels. Your CYA in particular is way too low.

Thanks for your reply.

As for CYA, I understand that the recommended range is to help protect FC and ensure you don’t need to run your SWG harder than required.

However in my case with my cell been oversized, with CYA at 10 I still only run my SWG at 20%.

I’m not aware of any other reason / benefit to have CYA higher apart from protecting FC?

I’m not aware of any other reason / benefit to have CYA higher apart from protecting FC?
Here is the best response I have see on this.. I have it book marked.

So in essence you are wasting the life of your SWG by forcing it to run at a higher output than it needs to be. I did my own little experiment and found I get the best FC retention at a CYA of 70ppm. I would hazard to guess if you bump your CYA up to 60+ you can drop your SWG down to 5 or 10% if you are running it 10-12 hrs a day. I think this can actually be calculated,.. but I did it by some empirical methodology.

Last edited:
One caveat -- if you are using ORP to control your SWCG output, you must have very little CYA in the water. And you cannot test 10 ppm CYA.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.