Normal Chlorine Levels?

Jun 3, 2018
Muncie
Hello
After many months of cleaning up an uncovered pool for years it is finally clear and ready for us! I cannot seem to get a unanimous answer on proper chlorine levels. Please anyone! Here have been the answers so far...
1. Free chlorine between 1 and 3ppm. Anything above 5 will cause skin irritation.
2. Always go by the CYA chart for chlorine levels.

My pool levels as of today..

FC-3ppm
PH-7.8
TA-180...it wont budge
CC-0
CYA-30...was at 40 but we had a severe storms and tons of fresh water was added after vacuuming for days.

I was using Muratic acid to bring down the PH when i was slamming my pool but as soon as it was clear and passed ONT...ph went back up.

Any info on chlorine levels is appreciated. I dont want to cause any pain to my family.

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

The 1-3 ppm is based on CYA of ZERO. CC's are what create irritation if present.

High pH is more likely to create skin and eye irritation. Keep pH in the 7's.

R,

If you look at the chart that Marty posted, you can see that for a CYA of 30 your shock level is 12.. It is safe to swim in the pool anytime the FC is less than the shock level.

The target level is about 5, well under the shock level. With a CYA of 30 and an FC of 5 you will not even know there is chlorine in the water, you won't smell it or feel it at all...

You really have to make a choice... it is either our way or "their" way.. it is pretty hard to mix the two.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Yeah, it sounds like you're getting some pool store/industry tech talk about those levels. :blah: You can't mix TFP with their advice. You'll go nuts. :crazy: As Marty said, the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] will serve you well. That CYA (stabilizer) conditions the water for you and it's safe when balanced properly. As for the TA, when you use acid, knock the pH down to 7.0-7.2 first, then simply aerate. Aeration will raise the pH while leaving the TA where it was. Then repeat as necessary.

Thanks for responding. Actually I've learned to steer clear of pool store advice. As far as the trying to lower that TA..I add acid and it will bring my PH down but never brings the TA down hardly at all. In regards to aeration is that simply pointing the return eyeball straight up or does it require a fountain or something specific? That's confusing to me also.

Thanks for responding. Actually I've learned to steer clear of pool store advice. As far as the trying to lower that TA..I add acid and it will bring my PH down but never brings the TA down hardly at all. In regards to aeration is that simply pointing the return eyeball straight up or does it require a fountain or something specific? That's confusing to me also.

R,

The more aeration the better... Here is an example...

dbtgallery.php

Lowering TA is not a one time deal... It takes me about two days to do it. You have to test and dose every three or four hours, over and over, until TA gets to where you want it. I start in the morning and do it all day until bed time and then start again the next morning. I leave aeration on the whole time. Here is the basic process.. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that the homemade PVC sprayer is just temporarily added to an eyeball outlet...

R,

The pool in the pic also has 1.5" plumbing and the PVC is 1.5".. Unfortunately, what you can't see in the pic is the adapter to connect it to the eyeball.. Basically the eyeball on that pool just unscrews leaving threads. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 1.5" female threaded adapter and a 1.5" rubber boot that connects to the "T" part you can see.

I'll run over later and take a pic that will make more sense.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can also just point the eyeball in the return up. Anything that churns the surface of the water aerates it. The fountain does provide the bonus of cooling the pool water and they are fun to play in! I have that same fountain and it works very well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.