Non stabilized chlorine tablets

Tjstampa

Jul 23, 2021
Safety Harbor FL
Pool Size
Is there such a thing as non stabilized chlorine tablets? With my schedule it would be hard to make sure I am adding liquid chlorine every day. Earlier this week I received my Taylor 2006 test kit. Found out I have definitely been pool stored. A year or so back I took a sample to a pool store I thought I could trust. Then the cya level was 164. The number was circled and I was told that it was to low. The sold me 2 containers of stabilizer shortly thereafter I realized they were misguiding me on many other issues with the pool. Until this week I have been relying on test strips.

Currently my cya level is 360. I dirived his by adding 21 ml of distilled water to 7 ml of pool water mixed and added 7ml o that to 7ml of the Taylor reagent then multiplied by 4.

My water table is very high and I cannot drain the pool completely without 4 wellpoints.

In the past I never drained after a heavy rain to save water. Now I will be draining a couple inches every week and filling back up. And after ever heavy rain. Will drain more often when mrs is not around because she does not want me to waste water.

Welcome to TFP :)

I have seen some high CYA numbers but I think you have the winning ticket.. You will need to replace 90% of your water to get to a normal level of 40CYA..

How is your pool not green? What is your FC level at? it would need to be at FC of 30 or so every day.. you will need about 2 to 3 gallons a day of liquid chlorine just to keep it from turning green...

Do you have the 4 well points there? It would be the easiest and cheapest way to get back to normal... The other option you have is to get a salt water generator and drop your CYA between 80 to 100... that would only require 70% of your water to be replaced..

I know in your area you get about 6 inches a month but that could take a year to get down to a CYA of 100..

There is 1 way to do this that we rarely recommend because it can be scary... It is the tarp empty refill method.. You can search for it if you want...

Let us know what you want to do :)

anything over 100 or 200 when half pool water and half tap water is REALLY high... try just half pool water and half tap water and see what you get... If it is over 200 there really is no option other than draining and refilling...

If it is under 200 and being in Florida with 6 inches of rain a month you "may" be able to get away with it by switching to liquid chlorine only and keeping your FC high.. :)

There are calcium-based tablets available (no CYA) called NST Tablets. They may be an option for short-term use depending on your ability to manage calcium levels. The label show 70.2% calcium-hypochlorite. There are two versions; one for use in a skimmer (I would probably use a floater instead) and one for use in a special NST Tablet Feeder.

You will waste more water by draining a few inches and refilling. The water efficient way is a partial drain and refill. But you need to be aware of your water table before draining more than 1/4 of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.