Hoover, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Everything was fine when I was out by the pool earlier, then just a while ago I was in my driveway cleaning up leaves when I realize I could hear my dual speed pump...I can never hear it on low unless I’m standing right next to it. I walked out back and it was making an awful sound. Shut it off, checked my plumbing, skimmers, and pump basket (and lubed gasket), then turned it back on. Worked fine on high when I turned it on to prime. Then I flipped it to low and it made the awful noise again. Now it’s noisy on both high and low, my sand filter is leaking a good bit of water from the top under the collar and the water inside is so loud it sounds like an empty washing machine churning water on high speed. Pressure reading normal. Pump motor is two months old. Anyone know what my problem is? Video: IMG_4908.MOV

Last edited:
pt,

I don't know what is wrong, but noticed that it does not appear that any water is moving under your pump lid... I would have thought that there would have been noticeable movement.. What does the water under the lid look like?

When the pump is running, what kind of pressure do you have at your pool returns? Does it feel normal?

My "guess" is that noise is from the impeller or the shaft seal.. I say that because if the motor is only two months old, it should not have gone through the bearings so soon.. Does your motor have a fan? My IntelliFlo has a fan at the back of the motor and the fan blade can make similar noise if the blade touches the fan guard.

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is movement under the lid, just hard to see because it’s become clouded with time. Pressure at the returns does not seem noticeably weaker. I’m going to pull the motor off tomorrow and take a look at the impeller and shaft.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.