Nodejs Pool Controller, work with pump only?

The line that says request to open actually says request to open successful. I assume that the next pump cycle is successful and it then starts communicating with the pump. It will try to finish out the pump cycle before it starts to reclaim the pump control. Is that what you are experiencing?

So it's actually stuck in this endless loop trying to connect to the pump. I had to run to work and about 10 hours later it still hasn't connected. I checked the following:

Meg BAS 485 Pass thru still on
PI settings seem correct
I reset the Meg BAS

Really stupid question.. But do I need to change my PM2 settings after updating the controller, server and REM?

Really stupid question.. But do I need to change my PM2 settings after updating the controller, server and REM?
It should have restarted the applications but we did upgrade the serial port. Perhaps you need to restart the pi.

If that doesn't connect the RS485 then I would like you to do a capture replay from the Hamburger Menu --> Logging Tab --> Capture Replay.

Press the Begin Capture button then wait for around 1 minute then press the End Capture button. Then I need to you upload that file at the link below by opening a new issue at the link below.

I submitted my issue with my logs. Unfortunately, another error has arisen, likely from my tinkering. It seems like they would be related but I promise they aren't to my knowledge.

*** I MOVED THE FOLLOWING OVER TO THE GITHUB*** but will leave this here if anyone searches it in the future

I now can not access REM. I am getting this error below. Before, when I only had the RS485 error I was able to get into REM and make sure the pass thru was checked and I was snooping around looking for something I inadvertently checked or missed, well, I must have done something that screwed up REM. I wish I could explain further but that's all I know.

REM Error.JPG

I am thinking of restarting over with reinstalling Raspi OS, REM, PC, dash, etc. Since when I followed your wiki, it all worked. I must have changed something along the way that caused an issue. It sucks though that it will be tougher to do since the Pi is outside but obviously I can do it.

Unless theirs's a way to "rebuild" the Pool Controller, REM and Dash Panel without reinstalling the OS? Obviously, this shows my ignorance when it comes to the Pi OS.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:
OKay I think we are getting somewhere. Even if it means I have some major issues.

After running npm i in the REM directory I go this..

Error.PNG

So I updated NPM (maybe a mistake) and then started getting this when trying to install REM

Second Error.PNG

and finally now when I try to run REM
FInal error.PNG

I wanted to update this as I did get it figured out. This system has been INCREDIBLE. It has changed my pool from being a complete pain to being almost maintenance free.

A little background, my pool gets a ton of tree debris from neighboring houses. I had no way to run the skimmer, vacuum, spa vs pool at any of their optimal positions unless I manually adjusted them daily. No thanks. I had to find a middle ground that the skimmer worked and the vacuum didn't get stuck. It worked until the vacuum got slightly clogged or anything out of the ordinary happened. Which was about twice a week.

Now I am able to easily run the skimmer full blast for 2 hours, then the vacuum for 2 hours, then spillover the spa to the pool for a half our then do just the spa for another hour. And it works. We had a bunch of wind yesterday and it's perfectly clean. As a guy with pretty early onset arthritis.. this is Christmas to me.

Thank you again for all your help! This has been a game changer for me and for a fraction of the cost of much worse automation from the name brands.

rstrouse - Whenever you want to experiment with the Intellivalves again, let me know, I'd be happy to donate a valve to your experiments in thanks for all your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was about what I expected. Once I got ahold of the Pi it went very smooth. My adventures trying to get it started on a PC were not worth it or or very fun. Lol.

I bought every thing just as you put in the wiki. I believe you created that Wiki Tutorial? Down to the ferrule kit. Everything worked great. The valves, heater and Rs485 stuff is super easy. Which is awesome.

Another update. I have everything done and working great! I have full control over the main pump, spa booster, spa air blower, three valves and the heater. Along with the temperature sensors of course. I have two hopefully simple questions:

1. I only have the diodes left to install on both of my 3hp relays (spa booster pump and spa air blower). I have the diodes. My electrician friend who helped immensely on that portion of this project wasn't famiar with this. From the wiki, does this look correct? It seems pretty easy, this is exactly how my relays are setup (positive/negative). Just add the diode in there using the set screws on the relay?

USethis.JPG

Less important...

2. I installed a 24 volt case fan into the case which I currently have wired directly to the 24dc power supply. I live in Vegas and it might hit 100 degrees F next week so it's not the end of the world for it running 24/7. I have two open relays on my MEGA-BAS. Is their a relatively easy way to have REM control this fan? Timer would be fine or based on temp?

Thank you again for all your help.

Glad you go it all working.

Yes the flyback diode is correct. Just make sure the band is on the positive side. For my 24v fan I have it connected to a thermistor inside the box and it turns on based on a setpoint. However, for the most part mine runs 24/7 in the summer.

Okay, I do have a question, is the coin battery necessary on the BAS?
Nope. It's mostly for keeping time if you lose power. Not necessary.

For my 24v fan I have it connected to a thermistor inside the box and it turns on based on a setpoint. However, for the most part mine runs 24/7 in the summer.
You can also use the CPU Temp as the trigger if you don't have an extra thermistor handy.
1648210334938.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.