No Water Flow

bgray9

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
Mesa, AZ
So I go out to my pool this morning to check on things, and the pump is running, but there is no water flow at all. I go over and turn the pump off and open up the leaf catcher in the pump and the water is really hot. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have a suction problem. Check the water level of the pool, the skimmer basket, etc.

It's a pretty simple system. No waterfalls or anything. The two suctions come in on the left of the first picture and there is a valve there to direct how much to come from the cleaner or the skimmer.

Attachments

• P1110612.JPG
    P1110612.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P1110613.JPG
    P1110613.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 21
  • P1110614.JPG
    P1110614.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 21
Looks like you lost prime to the pump.
Set the 3-way valve on the suction line to either full skimmer or full cleaner to see if the pump will prime.
Check for blockage in the skimmer, skimmer line, cleaner, cleaner line.
Check for suction leaks in the 3-way valve and pump lid O-ring.

Filter could also be clogged.

Yesterday it ran fine, so I don't think it is the DE filter needing to be backwashed. Because there isn't suction for either the skimmer or cleaner, I don't think it is something specific to either of those lines, as the other line would still work if there was a problem with one. There has been a bit of dampness for a little while around the base of the pump. It hasn't been much, so I haven't looked into it much or done anything. If it is a seal issue and the fittings need to be replaced, how involved is that as far as cost and time/difficulty? The pump is pretty old, so I have been thinking of replacing it with a variable speed pump at some point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, psi on the de filter is zero. I haven't changed anything on it from yesterday when it ran fine. And I tried priming the pump and that didn't change anything.

The Whisper Flow pump is probably at least 14-15 years old. We have owned the house for 12 years and it was there at least a few years before we bought the house.

Last edited:
When I try to do a video with my phone it says file too large. I can tell you that the standing water in the pump basket drops down quickly when I turn on the pump and then when I turn off the pump, water flows back in and I can hear it draining down from the DE filter.

A squirt indicates a leak.

Maybe a bad O-ring.

Make sure that the O-ring is clean and lubricated.

I would plan to replace the pump seal as the damp spot with algae indicates a long standing leak.

This will eventually ruin the motor bearings.

I wouldn't call it a squirt really, but just the water rushing back in from the pump side.

Would the pump seal make it all of the sudden stop there being any suction at all? I get you're saying those are steps that should be taken, and whether to do those, or make the move to a new pump is something I'm interested in hearing thoughts on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.