No reading for Pentair water temperature sensor

lindamg

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Missouri
The reading for the water temp (the one in the pipe between pump and filter) disappeared on my Mobletouch2. I ordered a replacement sensor. That didn't help. The replacement is simple - can't see that I did anything wrong. The casing on the probe on the old sensor was cracked in a few places so I though it made sense that I needed a new one. I checked the resistance of the new sensor before connecting (8340 ohms) and the voltage after connecting (2.22 V). The display is still blank. It seems that there should be a water temp field on the display reading zero or something if it was just the sensor. Now I wonder if there is an issue with the card in the Mobiletouch RF controller mounted by the equipment or with the Mobiletouch? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I assume the Mobiletouch is connected to an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch? Might check to see that the data is available there first.

Try moving the water temperature probe connection to the air temperature.

Please add what automation you have to your signature.

I updated my signature. Moving the water temperature probe to the air temp connections provided a reading, so I won't replace the probe again. The only display is on the PH4MOBILETOUCH remote. At this point I'm thinking it is the RF controller, although I guess it could be the main circuit board for the intellitouch i9+3S?

I updated my signature. Moving the water temperature probe to the air temp connections provided a reading, so I won't replace the probe again. The only display is on the PH4MOBILETOUCH remote. At this point I'm thinking it is the RF controller, although I guess it could be the main circuit board for the intellitouch i9+3S?
If you don't have a heater, air temp is more important than water temp, though it is irritating. Without air temp the freeze protection goes away. Some systems will default to freeze protection "on" regardless of temperature to protect the system when an air temp sensor is missing or goes bad.
Without water temp a heater won't light by the automation.

So if you have a heater (not shown in your signature) then you need the water temperature probe to control the heater with the Intellitouch. The system uses that temperature to manage the heat function.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if you have a heater (not shown in your signature) then you need the water temperature probe to control the heater with the Intellitouch. The system uses that temperature to manage the heat function.
I updated my signature - hope I've got it all this time.
I called Pentair and they had no suggestions as there is little that can go wrong with installing a temperature sensor and as long as the pump is running it should be working.

For additional information, when I disconnect the water temp sensor from the circuit board the MOBILETOUCH gives an error message “SENSOR ERRORS DETECTED Pool Water Sensor”. When the wires are connected there is no error message. Apparently my remote can tell if the sensor is connected but can’t display any data.

I also checked the heater which displayed a reasonable water temperature and worked normally using the automation. So the heater appears to be getting information from this water temp sensor unless there is another sensor I don’t know about. The problem seems very unlikely to be with a circuit board.

If this is a MOILETOUCH issue very strange that only this reading is affected. At this point I will live with it. Thanks for the responses here that helped with the troubleshooting.

If you are running a circuit feature or aux to run the pump the water temp will not show. The water temp will only show if the master pool or spa is running the pump.
On the remote (with system in auto) I have Low Speed selected to run the pump which is assigned for the main screen config; same config for several years. I'm not sure how I would run with a circuit feature or aux, but it does seem like something is preventing water temp from showing. thanks.

Low speed sounds like a feature circuit not the pool circuit. Enable pool while low speed is on. If there was never a schedule for pool it may have just been on and accidentally turned off.
Amazing. On MOBILETOUCH I checked menu/setup/advanced/circuit functions/low speed and it was set to "master cleaner" not "master pool". I corrected that and all is well. Thank you. I don't know how that happened as it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate the help!

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.