No matter what I do the pH keeps climbing.

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
Pool specs in sig. Using the TFT Test Kit.

So I think I have a handle on the pool for the most part, test everything with the kit, keep my levels in line, it's perfectly clear and wonderful. The only thing I cannot yet wrangle is the pH. I am adding lots of acid all the time and it keeps going up. Is it the Florida rain? I do nothing out of the ordinary, that I know of, and the pH keeps ending up back over 8 (top of the TFT Test Kit range) every few weeks.

Here are the current readings from last weekend:
CL: I keep this at 7, add liquid 2x a week
CYA: 50
pH: 8+
TA:8
Calcium Hardness: 320

So last night I added in my 20 oz of acid as the calculator said to try to drop it down to 7.4. This morning the pH reading was only dented slighty and it's sitting at 7.8, maybe, if I am reading it right in the light. So in a little bit I will go add another 14oz of acid to try to bring it down again. But it will just go back up. Looking at my chart I keep here are some examples:

7/21:7.4
8/26:8

1/19: 7.4
2/3: 8

5/12: 7.4
5/19: 8

Does pH normally climb like this or is there something wrong someplace?

Yep it rises continually. Mine is coming up on its 3rd season and pH is always climbing up in the high 7s. I added acid twice this week almost a full gallon. Plaster pool I assume? Do you have any water features as they will make it rise as well.

Your pool specs in your signature don’t say what pool finish you have - plaster? pebble? vinyl? fiberglass ? - and age of finish.

You have any water features or spillovers running?

To answer the questions..

1) TA is 80, I mistyled.
2) Pool is plaster, didnt think to add that to my sig but I will
3) No water features
4) No idea how old the finish is, but its old. One of my previous posts shows holes that are in it at the bottom where it's worn away. We are going to be getting it replaced possibly next season.

For the one response, is 7.8 okay? The main reason I kept pushing it so low is that it keeps rising so I figured I would put it lower for longer to try to not have to add acid so constantly. Not worth it?

My Florida pool sounds similar to yours in size, construction and age of finish. My water chemistry is also similar. I'd be in the same situation as you if I tried to drive PH down to low 7s. In fact I tried that approach and abandoned it. I find that keeping TA about 70 and PH between 7.8 and 8.0 requires minimal acid doses. The key is to keep the CSI from getting too positive. I try to keep my CSI slightly negative but it has occasionally jumped as high as 0.4 without causing any issues including scaling.

CSI? That's one I don't know about. Can I test for that with the kit? 100 model.

It is calculated by PoolMath. You can track your information in the PoolMath app. Do you have the app?

A few folks asked if he had a water feature. Does water feature, like a small waterfall going from the spa to the pool, raise the pH? I understand also that a SWG can raise pH so pH minus needs to be added somewhat regularly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few folks asked if he had a water feature. Does water feature, like a small waterfall going from the spa to the pool, raise the pH? I understand also that a SWG can raise pH so pH minus needs to be added somewhat regularly.

Waterfalls (and splashing) drive CO2 out of the water raising the pH. It is how you raise your pH when it is too low (it happens). The only thing you should use to lower your pH is Muriatic acid.

Reactions: Pperc
A few folks asked if he had a water feature. Does water feature, like a small waterfall going from the spa to the pool, raise the pH?

Yes, a waterfall running will contribute to your pH rise.

I understand also that a SWG can raise pH so pH minus needs to be added somewhat regularly.

pH- contains sulfates which accumulate in your water and are not good long term for your SWG. You should use muriatic acid to lower your pH.

Reactions: Pperc

It is calculated by PoolMath. You can track your information in the PoolMath app. Do you have the app?

No app for me, I keep a spread sheet which I update every time I test the water as I include other notes and comments about what is going on and what I do. I do use the calculator link though of course. From these responses it looks like pH does just happen to rise for people. I will just keep up the weekly pH testing and adjust as needed. Won't strive for it to be 7.6 anymore but as long as I keep it below 8, or 8+ which is seems to be, I will be fine.

For the CSI the content link says:
Very simple – by using the PoolMath tool. Since CSI is primarily calculated by combining pH, TA, CH, and water temperate (among other items), simply enter your test results in PoolMath and refer to the CSI row. The tool will tell you if your water is balanced or if there is a potential for scale or erosion.

Is there a formula you can post and I can add it to my spreadsheet as a calculated column?

Taylor watergram comes in lots of test kits. Uses CH, TA, PH, and Temperature to figure CSI. Plastic disk thingie. Simplified but should get you fairly close. Pool Math is my best friend though. Long time reader, new poster. Hiya everyone
The Taylor wheel is Saturation Index. Similar, but not the same as CSI.

CSI is calculated by PoolMath. You can use the web based version. PoolMath

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.