No free chlorine but crystal clear water do I need to do a slam?

Jun 20, 2018
Bensalem, PA
Hi all, I'm very new to this pool thing and I have been googling every obstacle I have come across and every time I end up following a link to this sight. This seems to be the place for answers.

As my signature says says I have a 10k gallon in ground vinyl liner pool. When I opened the pool about a month ago it was completely green but only about 2/3 full. I topped it off vacuumed as much of the solids out as I could with my filter on waste and once I was satisfied with that I added 2 bags of shock that I disolved in water and spread around the pool. In 2 days my water was crystal clear. I have a leslies delux poolcare test kit I used to test my TC and PH. My TC was well within the range on the kit and PH was high in the range. (TC= 2.5 PH=7.7) I'm not great with the fine colors so those are really just my best guesses. After a few days of patting myself on the back at how great I am at maintaining my pool chemistry I decided to test my alkalinity. I found it to be at about 40ppm. The kit tells me it should be between 80-120 so I do the math add 6lbs of baking soda and because my ph was already slightly high in the range I added some of the dry acid the previous owner left me to lower the ph. Happy with my test results the next day I decided to take a sample down to my local pool store to get verification that I'm as awesome at this as I think I am. That's when things fell apart. They told me my chlorine was 0 and that my stabilizer was also 0. They sold me 4lbs of stabilizer and some test strips to test FC, PH, TA, and Stabilizer. I added 2lbs of stabilizer and let the filter run overnight. I tested it the next day and it still told me I had zero. I added the other 2lbs and left the filter running all day. that night I added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. Filter ran for about 2 hours after the add. Next morning I tested with the strips and stabilizer seemed ok. Again I'm bad with color matching but it seemed to fit in the good range on the label 30-50ppm FC 0 ph again in range. Waited until that night added another gallon of liquid chlorine. Next day test no change. That night added a bag of shock and 1 gallon of chlorine. Tested 30 minutes later and still had no change in my results. Baffled I put a chlorine tablet in my float dropped it in the pool gave it a few second grabed a water sample from near it and used a strip to test that and it showed FC off the chart. So my strips seem to work. My TC was still in a good range on my Leslie test. The pool was clean and being used a little each day and water level was a little low. I decided to top it off from 1/3 of my skimmer to 1/2 way up the skimmer. I also did a backwash then decided to go a step further and rinse out the filter. I added 2.5 lbs of DE let the filter run for 2 more hours decided not to add any more chlorine or any other chemicals. This morning I took a sample and kept it in a cooler while I was at work. After work I took it to a different pool store for a more in depth test. According to that test
FC 0.12ppm
TC 0.12ppm
CC 0.0
Hardness 76ppm
alkalinity 83ppm
CYA 52
Before I read pool school and learned I didn't need to I took the pool stores advice and added calcium hardener to the pool although I only added 10lbs not the 20 they recommended because I figured I shouldn't add that much all at once. Sorry this was so long but it seems like the more detailed I can be with what I've done the more able you guys and gals are able to help. Do I need to do a SLAM to get my FC levels up? There is no algae and the water looks and feels great. The pool gets a TON of sun and it's been very sunny most days since I opened the pool. Water temp is around 80F. I feel like im just throwing money away adding chlorine at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to move forward.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

This forum advocates pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF100 test kit from TFTestkits.net
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

A SpeedStir is also recommended as it makes testing much easier.

While you are waiting on your test kit add liquid chlorine/bleach to put 5 ppm FC into your pool each evening.

Let us know when you get your test kit and post up the results.

FC 0
TC 0
Alkalinity 83
CYA 52
PH 7.6

added almost a gallon of chlorine as per the pool math calculator. Tested chlorine again 2 hours later no change

What is the bleach strength, and how old is it?

What was the target FC you were expecting to reach?

You are most likely fighting the beginning of a full blown algae bloom. Algae spores are microscopic, just because you don’t see algae (or bacteria) doesn’t mean it’s not there. The chlorine is most likely being ‘consumed’ by oxidizing organic matter.

You need a proper test kit pronto.

Meedama...did you get your own test kit or have you ordered it. I'm assuming the results above are from the pool store. Please get your own test kit. We recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net or the Taylor K-2006C (preferably TF100 with a speedstir). As you wait for your test kit, continue adding 5ppm of Chlorine each day to your pool. However, you're stating that the chlorine is not holding; in other words, you can't get a reading of FC after 2hours of adding chlorine. The only thing I can think of is the expiration date of the Liquid Chlorine you purchased, or the likelihood of you having some form ammonia in your pool.

If you haven't already, get your test kit in a timely fashion.

10% purchased from Walmart same day. Didn't look for a date though. goal was really anything above zero but was shooting for 5ppm as suggested in the first reply.

Hi Meedama -

It sounds like you need to SLAM to stop the algae which has started and for that you need a test kit which includeds the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The one you have probably has the DPD test, not FAS-DPD. FAS-DPD measures chlorine at higher levels, which is needed for the SLAM.

If you go over to the pool school you'll find a link to a comparison of test kits. TF-100 is highly recommended. Taylor K-2006C is another option. I would stay away from the Taylor K-2006 as it doesn't have enough of the FC test reagent, especially if you have to SLAM right away.
The test kits are a bit of money, but that's nothing compared to the amount of money you'll needlessly blow on chemicals without having the right test kit.
So go read up on test kits and make the investment. Then while you're waiting for it to arrive, read up on the SLAM process so you'll be ready to go when it gets to you.

While you're waiting, put the 5 ppm chlorine in daily to keep the problem at bay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.