RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hello Forum!
I opened my pool Monday and it was greener than previous years. So I began my SLAM. I SLAM'D it based on my reading from the end of the year for CYA levels, which were around 30. So I SLAM'd at about 16 for FC. However, I tested my CYA levels and it's reading zero. The pool is looking super clear now, but, no suprise the levels aren't holding and there's no CC yet. Could I have SLAM'd away the CYA? I need to add some and I'm wondering if you prefer liquid vs solid CYA?

Thanks,
Robert

More likely some bacteria ate your CYA before you started the SLAM.

Add solid stabilizer by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

It's not unusual for CYA to drop over the winter. Some is normal breakdown, some gets pushed out by snow or rain dilution, and there's always the possibility that some bacteria got in there and converted it to ammonia.

Try this: go add 10 FC to the pool. Mix it up good by brushing, and then retest it in 15 minutes. If you have more than 5 FC left and/or the CC is low, you don't have to worry about ammonia. Go ahead and add CYA. If you lost more than half the FC in 15 minutes and/or the CC just jumped up a few points, you do. The solution is more bleach until it does hold for 15 minutes. Then proceed.

Just in case you do have some CYA left but not enough to register, target 10 CYA lower than you want. It's easy enough to add the rest later if needed, hard to remove it. Use the sock method in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

It's not unusual for CYA to drop over the winter. Some is normal breakdown, some gets pushed out by snow or rain dilution, and there's always the possibility that some bacteria got in there and converted it to ammonia.

Try this: go add 10 FC to the pool. Mix it up good by brushing, and then retest it in 15 minutes. If you have more than 5 FC left and/or the CC is low, you don't have to worry about ammonia. Go ahead and add CYA. If you lost more than half the FC in 15 minutes and/or the CC just jumped up a few points, you do. The solution is more bleach until it does hold for 15 minutes. Then proceed.

Just in case you do have some CYA left but not enough to register, target 10 CYA lower than you want. It's easy enough to add the rest later if needed, hard to remove it. Use the sock method in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
Quick question: Either the water is too cold or the socks I am using are too thick. I did the squeeze the sock method all afternoon through 8pm. There was still stabilizer in the socks so I left them overnight and in the morning there is still stabilizer. It's basically taking forever. I'm at work during the day so I can't squeeze during until afternnoon. Is there another method to add CYA?

Forever is longer then a day. You should feel the sock getting lighter.

Try a different sock. Some folks use panty hose.

A thin sock, such as knee high panty hose, work best. A thick cotton sock takes the longest.

If the CYA is mush but just not coming through the sock, you can dump it in the skimmer with the pump running. You will probably see a cloud come out the returns. Or just wait another few hours and it will be gone. You have only had it in for 18 hours or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A thin sock, such as knee high panty hose, work best. A thick cotton sock takes the longest.

If the CYA is mush but just not coming through the sock, you can dump it in the skimmer with the pump running. You will probably see a cloud come out the returns. Or just wait another few hours and it will be gone. You have only had it in for 18 hours or so.
Will do. Another question; I've been SLAMing since Monday and I'm still not seeing any CC and the FC still drops throughout the day by about half. How long does a SLAM usually take? I know the lack of CYA isn't helping but shouldn't I see somewhat stabilization by now of the FC?

CCs may not accumulate if you have a lot of sun and UV is burning them off.

As Allen said CC is not a good indicator.

How does the water look? Are you cleaning your filter when the pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.