No CYA, Foggy Pool

To get my CYA from 0 to 30, I'm being told to add 88 oz by weight. That's a whole lot of CYA. As mentioned earlier, I'm very gun-shy of adding CYA after last year's issues. Just confirming this sounds correct.

I will also shock to FC 10 per your last instructions.
Is your pool 8' deep all the way, or does the floor slope? Makes a huge difference in pool volume. If the pool is 22000 gallons, then yes 88 ounces is called for.

If you have some left over pucks or bags of shock, this is a good time to use them. They will add both chlorine and cya to the water.

I would kindly disagree. At this point it just makes it difficult to determine what has been added and the pucks are too slow to dissolve. The OP needs to SLAM - so quick additions of known quantities are more appropriate.

Keep the pucks for when on vacation.

Take care.

Thank you very much, mknauss.

We are 8' at the deep end, but we have a shallow end that slopes down. Prior owner indicate we are a 22,000 gallon pool.

I have a nylon (very) full of stabilizer, and I'm rigging it now to sit in the skimmer. I'll add chlorine to get to FC 10 and will retest in about 90 mins.

If you nylon with stabilizer is really big you might consider hanging it in front of a return jet in the pool. Just be sure it does not rest on the side of the pool. My concern in the skimmer is that it could block off your flow. Try it, and if you see an issue, try hanging it instead.

You are doing great -- take care.

Making great progress! The pool is way, way clearer than when I last tested at 12:45 pm (it's now 4:25pm).

At 12:45:
FC: 4.5
CC: 0.5
CYA <20, but not crystal clear as it had been prior to adding stabilizer
On scale of 1 (cannot see bottom) and 5 (crystal clear): 2

Added liquid chlorine per SLAM guidance, gave the nylon a good squeeze/massage for stabilizer to come out. Left the house for a few hours and just got home.

At 4:15pm:
FC: 5.5
CC: 0.5
CYA: <20 still, but so very close to registering at 20 (could just barely see the black dot).
Pool Clarity: 4

Keeping at it....!

I've been SLAMing since Sunday. Since Monday, CC is holding steady at 0.5 and the pool is crystal clear. Happy to report that since Sunday night FC has been holding steadily at 8.5 and higher while we shock it to a 10 or 12 (CYA has been hovering between 20 and 30). We are still dissolving the initial stabilizer in the nylon in front of the return jet, but it's nearly gone.

This morning at 6am after failing the OCLT (FC fell from 12 last night to 9.5 this morning) I shocked it to a FC 12. I'm home now, at 5:15pm, and it dropped all the way down to FC 5.5. Full reading is as follows:

FC 5.5
CC 0.5
TC 6.0
CYA - somewhere between 20 and 30, but much closer to 30
TA 90
CH 100
Ph 7.2

I'm prepared to shock it back up to a 12 given my 5.5 reading. But, should I be doing anything differently? Slightly discouraged to see that it dropped back down to 5.5 over the course of a day (an 85 degree day, direct sun for most of said day, and no pool usage today). this is the biggest drop I've seen since SLAM started, and CYA is at it's highest (started with 0 CYA)... I thought it would hold.

I've been SLAMing since Sunday. Since Monday, CC is holding steady at 0.5 and the pool is crystal clear. Happy to report that since Sunday night FC has been holding steadily at 8.5 and higher while we shock it to a 10 or 12 (CYA has been hovering between 20 and 30). We are still dissolving the initial stabilizer in the nylon in front of the return jet, but it's nearly gone.

This morning at 6am after failing the OCLT (FC fell from 12 last night to 9.5 this morning) I shocked it to a FC 12. I'm home now, at 5:15pm, and it dropped all the way down to FC 5.5. Full reading is as follows:

FC 5.5
CC 0.5
TC 6.0
CYA - somewhere between 20 and 30, but much closer to 30
TA 90
CH 100
Ph 7.2

I'm prepared to shock it back up to a 12 given my 5.5 reading. But, should I be doing anything differently? Slightly discouraged to see that it dropped back down to 5.5 over the course of a day (an 85 degree day, direct sun for most of said day, and no pool usage today). this is the biggest drop I've seen since SLAM started, and CYA is at it's highest (started with 0 CYA)... I thought it would hold.

Keep doing what you're doing. 85 and direct sun most of the day would burn 2-3 ppm easy with CYA of 30. Sounds like you're right on track

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The last few times I put in chlorine, shocking to 10 or 12, the reading 60-90 mins later was in excess of the level I was shocking to.

At 6:30 I added chemicals to get to 12. at 7:30 FC was 17.5 and at 8:30 it is 16. CC is still 0.5. This was intended to be my last read of the night as the OCLT baseline.

Anything to be concerned about? It's still sort of light out, but the sun set a little while ago - no direct sun on the pool itself for at least 2 hours.

It's been a full year, but here we are again! I've re-read this thread a few times to help me get oriented after a long New England winter. I think I'm in relatively good shape on marching orders going forward, but I could use some reassurance before adding any more chemicals... Opened to a dark green pool with 0 CYA, 0 FC and 0.5 of ammonia. We did (and continue to do) the appropriate vacuuming, brushing, backwashing, etc. as part of opening.

Last year, when I had both no CYA and 0.5 ppm of ammonia I was told: "Add chlorine to get to FC of 10. Be sure pump is running. Wait 15 minutes, Test. If FC less than 6, redose to FC 10. Repeat. As soon as your FC holds above 6, go to a regular SLAM. DO NOT add any CYA until the ammonia eradication process is complete. "

Given this, I did the initial SLAM shock to FC 10 late last night; water was still deep green/algae looking at this point. This morning I woke up to a foggy/milky but much improved looking pool (can't see deep end bottom, but no longer algae/swamp-looking green). First reading of the day was FC 1.5 and ammonia 0. At 3pm I shocked back to FC 10. At 3:20 later it was FC 15, so did not require a redose. By 4pm it was FC 12, and now at 8pm it's FC 10. (I think FC is higher than what I dose to because our pool is smaller than the 22,000 gallons we were told it was..).

According to the rest of the thread above from last year, I should dose CYA to 30 using a sock/nylon in front of the return jet while simultaneously SLAMming to an FC 12. We had a BAD issue with CYA a few years ago so I'm very gun shy here. Can someone confirm this is the appropriate next step, as I continue to SLAM - add CYA to 30 and SLAM to 12?

Thank you!

Can someone confirm this is the appropriate next step, as I continue to SLAM - add CYA to 30 and SLAM to 12?

As your pool held FC there is no ammonia so add the CYA. You might have some in the pool now but just cannot test it. If you are sure the pool size you have is overstated, you might start with 20 ppm of CYA added and test 24 hours after it is dissolved. If the pool volume is wrong then you will not overshoot 30 by much.

Sorry i this double posted... site apears to have timed out.

I'm successfully raising my CYA. Currently at 20, and slowing working up to 30. So far, so good. Chlorine is holding well, also. We're still foggy, so the SLAM process continues.

One thing noteworthy is our pH has crashed in the last 18 hours, or so, since starting to raise the CYA. I didn't think there was a CYA/pH relationship, but I could be wrong. Midday yesterday it was north of the 8.2 reading. Started SLAMming/adding stabilizer, and by 9:30pm last night it was 7.8. 10:15 this morning it was just under 7.8 and just now at 2pm it's a tick above 6.8. Before I start working to bring the pH back up to recommended levels, is there anything else I should be considering or aware of? Does high chlorine/SLAMming impact pH?

Thank you!

pH test is not accurate with FC above 10 ppm. Did you test your pH and adjust it to 7.2 prior to starting SLAM? Critical component to a successful SLAM. If you did not, let your FC drift down to below 10 ppm, test pH, and then adjust it to 7.2 prior to resuming SLAM.

Be sure you test TA and enter that into PoolMath as it effects how much acid is needed to lower pH.

pH test is not accurate with FC above 10 ppm. Did you test your pH and adjust it to 7.2 prior to starting SLAM? Critical component to a successful SLAM. If you did not, let your FC drift down to below 10 ppm, test pH, and then adjust it to 7.2 prior to resuming SLAM.

Be sure you test TA and enter that into PoolMath as it effects how much acid is needed to lower pH.

Dang. Missed the fact I had to get pH to 7.2 before SLAM. FC is now 8, so I will test TA and work to get pH up to 7.2 before resuming SLAM.

I've only added enough CYA to get to a 20, even though I know I need to go higher, I'm doing it incrementally to ensure I don't overshoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.