No CYA, Foggy Pool

I thought we were in great shape, naturally, but woke up at 5:30 this morning to a foggy pool. I can see the bottom of the deep end, but just barely. We've been running the pump on a timer, turning it off for a few hours overnight, and that's the only real change since passing our initial OCLT/SLAM.

Finished SLAM last week - around 6/5. This past Sunday 6/10 I took a reading and we had 0 chlorine. Pool was crystal clear so I shocked up to high end of recommended level range, to 7. Now, 6/15, at 5:30 am I took a full read of chemicals:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
CYA 40 (consistent from last read after passing SLAM)
Ph 7.2 (consistent from last read after passing SLAM)
TA 70 (consistent from last read after passing SLAM)
68 degrees
Foggy - can barely see bottom of deep end

So the only reading that's troublesome is the chlorine. Why is it burning off to 0 in 5 days with no use? The pool does get direct light for most of the day. In past summers we'd at least get to the 7-day mark with FC of 2 or 3. But, we're at 0. Do I need to think about SLAM again or do I just shock to the recommended level and get in the habit of testing a little more frequently?

Pools lose 2-4 ppm FC everyday. Chlorine has to be added every 1-2 days or it will fall below the minimum needed to be safe to swim in, much less stay clear.

If the pool is cloudy you should follow the SLAM procedure and once the 3 criteria are passed you should maintain the FC levels according to the FC/CYA chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.