No connection to easy touch from main filter pump

Michelle E

May 26, 2021
Houston Tx
I'm needed help with a connection issue. I have a Pentair intelliflo vs pump and it was connected to the easy touch. I was able to control the pool and features through a hard wired screen logic. Now I can't control the pump with easy touch or screen logic. I changed the communication cable that goes from the pump to ET and it still isn't connecting. ET is controlling all the other features and pumps that don't go through the main filter pump. I can control the cleaner (on own pump), waterfall (on own pump), salt cell, water and air temps, and lights. I'm not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!
Check the pump display to be sure it says Display Not Active. If it does, you have communication with the ET. If it does not, you do not have communication with the ET.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

If you do Marty's test and don't have communication with the pump...

- Is there any corrosion inside the connector on the pump itself?
- I'm not sure what kind of pumps you're using for your cleaner and waterfall, or what kind of salt cell you have (feel free to add them to your sig)... do those connect to the easytouch communication port?
- Can you turn on an aux circuit (e.g. the lights) with the screenlogic and see the corresponding led illuminate on the easytouch outdoor board? (if you can, the easytouch and screenlogic communication is ok)

Trying to determine whether the problem is with the communication chip on pump or the outdoor board.

Thanks for your quick replies. I spoke with pentair and they did some trouble shooting with me. The only thing on that comm cable is the main vs pump. All the other pumps and lights...are all seperate. After checking the main ET board with a volt meter I'm being told it's the board that is bad. Does this sound correct to you all before I replace this for a second time in 8 months?

Hey Michelle... if you've still got the hard-wired screenlogic then it will also connect to the comm port on the easytouch.

If you can turn the lights on/off with your screenlogic and the outdoor board's led turns on/off, then the easytouch's comms are ok. if that doesn't work, then your problem is likely the board rather than the pump.

everything that connects to the comm port has a comm chip inside of it that can die in a few different ways. the chips can be replaced (it's a pain for the ET because you have to pull the display), but it's cheaper than a new board.

i forgot to ask... what did they have you check with the multimeter and what did you get for a result?

Ogdento No the screen logic doesn't work at all. The way my ET buttons are set up is Pump, 1 is cleaner, 2 Waterfall, 3 pool high, 4 Spa ,5 pool lights, 6 spa light, 7 Spillway. The LED lights above the numbers come on when pressed but the Pump, Spa, Pool high, and spillway do nothing but the LED light comes on above the number.
I ran the spa the other night by pressing the Spa button below the numbers and my heater also came on and worked that way. Then just shut it all down when finished.

They had me measure the comm J20 on the board. Check the red and black, and other colors. Then had me check the pegs/progs on that same J20 the same way. The yellow and green ones didn't read anything.

When I checked the red and black it was high can't remember exactly, but the yellow and green were 0. They were telling me so many things and this is all new stuff to me I can't remember exactly. I'm learning as I go. I can recheck tomorrow if that helps you and I won't need a new board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Michelle,

It is more likely that your ScreenLogic antenna is bad rather than the main board..

Show us a pic of J20 on your main board.. We can then give you some troubleshooting tips..

Once we figure out what is wrong, then I suggest that you PM Tom @ogdento for repair options..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe, my guess is she's had the same bad luck you're all to familiar with... lightning bolt or storm attracted to the screen logic's hard line :( If that IS what happened, the comms on the outdoor board and the screenlogic (or both) could be dead... but let's get a look at J20 like you asked.

@Michelle E , we'll take a look at that photo Jim asked for, and in the meantime I'll send you a private message with some options.

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.