no chlorine reading

need advice

Got up this morning and I still had some floc to get rid of so I again vacuumed to waste dropping water level again. I'm going to assume that by now I have probably replaced more than half the water. Pool refilled enuf to start pump and start filtering water. My test kit won't be here until tomorrow or the next day so I can't test chlorine levels or CYA. My CYA was at 40 prior to draining and refilling so I can only guess at level but I'm thinking there is a good chance it's down to 10, give or take. I can add some to get that up. I have tested for ph and it 6.8 right now so I can bring that up. My question is how much bleach should I add before my test kit arrives? I don't want green again and we are getting a few storms over the next few days. I won't start the actual SLAM until I can test chlorine levels.

I have taken the chlorinator off-line so I'm not tempted to use it and I have the SWG totally disconnected. I won't even mess with that until I have everything up and running smoothly and it's clear and then it's easy to bring that on board.

So 1 gal or 2 gals a day until test kit arrives?

I have read SLAM process and done the pool math so I'm pretty confident that once the kit arrives and I can get good readings that I can get this done just really don't want green muck again.

Thanks

Re: need advice

That should be fine. I might personally go for 2 gal if your cya is that low, and given your pool size.

However, I'd also guess if you've removed 50% of the water and had 40 cya then you'd be down to 20...it only goes away with water change ;) wait for your own tests on that one.

When you raise your ph, try to keep it on the low side, eg 7.2...makes the SLAM just a wee bit more effective!

Using PoolMath, 1 gallon of 10% will add 3.7ppm of FC or one 121oz bottle of 8.25% will add about 3ppm.

You are probably safe with 2 bottles a day until you can actually test. I am not sure I would raise the CYA just yet until you can verify the current level.

If you want to keep some chlorine in there until the kit arrives. If you are assuming you have 0 now, I would use pool math to bring it up to maybe 6 or 7. It would depend on the bleach concentration whether it would be 1 or 2 gallon. Pool math should set you straight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning to everyone out there. Test kit still hasn't arrived so I added 3 gals of bleach Monday and 2 gals yesterday. Pump running 24/7. Monday the pool was cloudy, I could see bottom but still cloudy, yesterday I could see improvement when I added the bleach. This morning the water is clear! I can see a few bugs laying in the bottom of the deep end (8ft). I'd like a little sparkle to it but I'll definitely take the clear. You can smell chlorine odor when you get near the pool so I know in spite of the OTO not registering anything something is going on in there so until my test kits arrives should I continue to add 2 gals of bleach or drop it back to one. Ill vacuum today when I get home. Thanks for your help.

Wonderful to hear you are seeing some positive improvement! :goodjob: As advised earlier, it's probably best to stay the course with bleach until your test kit arrives. Better to have a slightly high FC than to have algae get the better of you. Keep us posted, and keep-up the great work. Patience and perseverance will pay-off! :)

Hello again. Just finished vacuuming the pool and have some questions. Test kit did not come today :(. My questions are can you use your solar blanket at night to retain your heat while SLAMing and can you use an auto vac for vacuuming or should you be doing a manual vac? I have a Blue Diamond auto cleaner and here in central Pa we have had some cooler nights and lost a fair amount of heat in the pool. I usually only cover at night just before the sun goes down and open again pretty early morning. Thanks.

Hi guys test kit came today finally. here's my readings
FC 27
PH 7.4
TA 140
CYA 50

pool is absolutely clear and clean. I have been adding 2 gals of bleach everyday since Tuesday waiting on test kit. So what so be my next course of action. I have been covering at night to retain a little heat and uncovering early morning. Vacuuming everyday. Pool looks great. Am I ready for the over night test?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys CC is 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.