No chlorine generated

spthomas

Mar 24, 2014
Lewisville, TX
Hayward/Goldline/Aquarite salt system
11000 gallon pool

I have a green pool virtually overnight. I checked the system, and it's showing "Inspect Cell", "Check Salt", and no generation. I cannot get the Inspect Cell to go off, even after repeatedly holding down the diagnostic button for 5-10 seconds. The system is showing the following:
2100 Salt Level
Diagnostic readings are
69P
AL-0
R 1.32

I checked the salt level twice with two different Taylor K-1766 kits (in case the chemical was bad in the older one). Salt checks at 3000 and 3200. And I have added salt recently, so that seems about right.

I also cleaned the cell with water and muriatic acid. No difference.
I've never had the "inspect cell" light not go off.

The cell is a third party cell about 18 months old.

What is the warranty on your cell?

What is your daily pump runtime?

What is the cell type?

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:

• Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Daily pump runtime is 12 hours. Pump runs fine, circulation fine, only no chlorine generated.
Cell is a T15
When I turn it off then back on, wait 10 seconds for relay to click on, I get these readings for about a minute with no check lights, just the Power and Generating are on for that minute. Then it switches back to the "check salt" and "inspect cell" , quits generating, and goes back to the readings above. But for the first minute or so I get this
Salt Level: 2100

69P
AL-0
R1.32

And after a minute when the check lights come on and the generation stops the readings are the same as yesterday.

I think your cell is depleted and needs replacement.

Thanks. I think you're right. I had Leslies test the water and they showed 3400ppm salt level. My tests showed 3200 and 3000, all much higher than the 1900 the system is showing.

Sadly, I bought a 3rd party cell from a firm (Pool Supply World) and though they are part of Leslies, they only warranty that cell for 12 months. Mine has been in for 18 months. Still a pitifully short time to failure, but out of warranty.

Sadly, I bought a 3rd party cell from a firm (Pool Supply World) and though they are part of Leslies, they only warranty that cell for 12 months. Mine has been in for 18 months. Still a pitifully short time to failure, but out of warranty.

You have learned why generic cells cost less and have a shorter warranty. They typically have less rare earth coating on the plates, which is the expensive material in them, and don’t last as long.

Was the generic cell less than half the cost of a Hayward cell with a 3 year warranty? If so it was a decent deal.

Last edited:
It was. So the deal was about even, maybe a bit less than 1/2. But the hassle was not worth it. I won't buy from a dealer I don't know and will mind the warranty for sure. With the cost of chlorine tabs now it's a deal, but if prices settle a bit the savings of salt system vs tabs is not really a viable economic prospect with the cost and replacement frequency of cells.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.