No chlorine after adding an entire gallon yesterday?? Help please

And don't be scared about that price tag--the amount of money you will save NOT GOING TO THE POOL STORE will quickly make up for that upfront cost. I just got a speed stir yesterday and used it for the first time today (after 11 years of manual swirling) and everyone here is right about that gadget--game changer!

Reactions: Texassaltpool
Mix your pool well, pool circulation won't do it on it's own in a few hours. Mix with a brush and a pool robot if you have one. I added in 3 gallons and didn't see any FC change until too late and by that point i added in 13 gallons and eventually over 30 gallons of 10% chlorine. i got up to FC of 62. :oops:

Okay thanks everyone. Ordered the good kit! Added the full gallon of chlorine about 5 hours ago and just retested. Ph is fine (for now) at 7.8 but chlorine was only at a 3 I was shooting for and expecting a 6 with the amount I added. Should I add more or wait and test again in the morning? Maybe it hasn’t circulated? In the meantime is it safe to swim at that level of pool looks clear?

I think I’m also confused as to whether I actively shocked it or needed to? If the chlorine both free and total level was at a .6 this morning does it need to be “shocked” I’m still learning what that even means but I added a full gallon of chlorine to raise the total level but I think I would have needed to pour in two gallons to “shock”

Don't worry about the term shock. That's a term used at the pool store way too much. We don't do periodic "shocks" here at TFP. We maintain the proper FC level 24/7/365 based on the current CYA, all of which you will confirm once your kit arrives. For now, simply add enough chlorine each day as needed so that you feel comfortable knowing you have about 5 ppm of chlorine in the water. That's not high, nor is it shocking the pool. Just regular maintenance to keep algae away. Once you confirm your own CYA number, you'll go to the FC/CYA Levels to balance the FC to the CYA.

Reactions: Texassaltpool
Had some guests over for a pool day with the kids - I can report that my pool successfully maintained FC levels, to my (pleasant) surprise!
Thanks tfp!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.