Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi. Just a silly detail question. Usually the Taylor salt test is unambiguous: from yellow to obviously orange in one drop.

This time was a bit different. The 16th drop caused a just barely noticeable orangish tinge. Then the 17th was all in: dark and obvious.

The Taylor instructions are a bit weird. They say "first change from yellow to milky salmon (brick red)." In my experience "brick red" is a dark red-brown and salmon is pinkish orange. So which do they mean?

More to the point, is the salt at 3200 or 3400 or maybe call it 3300? I know the difference is pretty meaningless. Just curious about the chemistry...

They mean the drop count that you had that caused the orange color.
Got that. But it never turned a "salmon" color. At 16 drops is was just a tiny tint of orange. At 17 it was dark orange/red. I'm trying to figure out whether to count 16 or 17 (3200 or 3400 ppm).

Dark and obvious, not a "barely noticeable orangish tinge." So:
Brick red. 17. 3400ppm.

Like most Taylor tests, there's a 10% margin of error anyway.
And any SWG's reading is at least that bad or worse.
Trust the test over the SWG.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that Taylor uses the word "salmon." That can mean just about anything. They mean the darker color, not the color of your pink shirt you try to convince everyone is "salmon!"

salmon45.jpg

Last edited:
G,

The exact color is just not important as you are looking for the moment of change not a specific color.

When you get close to the actual salt level, as you add drops you will see a flash change from milky to solid (call it any color you want) then it will instantly change back to milky.. The first time it changes and stays a solid color, is your end point.

In my mind the salt test is the easiest test there is, as there is only one point where it instantly changes and stays that way.

I use a speed-stir for this test..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 Jim and Woody above. I don't get hung up on the exact shade. Its always a hardcore difference between yellow-y milk with a hint of pink and BOOM red/salmon/puke color.

Reactions: Dirk and woodyp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.