Nicheless LED Light Replacement Options

santacruzpool

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
We are looking for some help finding some pool lights to replace our constantly failing Jandy Nicheless LED Lights. Our lights, and our pool, are only just over 3 years old and we are now on our 3rd set of lights :thumbdown:.

Our problem has been that the lights start to get really dim. Of course just 6 weeks after our 3 year warranty is up one out of 2 of our lights is failing again and is very dim (both were replaced in September of 2017).In that last year we have probably under 100 hours of run time on these lights and they are already failing...:sad:

I am in contact with Jandy regarding the lights failing yet again, which is not acceptable. Depending on the response I am proactively searching for some alternatives. I don's see how I could ever buy Jandy lights out of pocket again based on the poor record I have had with them in my pool.

Doing some searches the only ones I see mentioned in posts here on TFP are the SR Smith Treo LED lights - which look like they use the same 1 1/2" fitting that the Jandy Nicheless LED's do. I wanted to see what other options I might have available to me, and see if anyone has any experience with the Treo Lights or the newer SR Smith Kelo lights. Plus any tips on being able to still use my Jandy automation (iAqualink) to control the lights (on/off - and possibly color mode). The fun of color lights might be a nice change.

Thanks!

We've heard a lot of positive reviews about the SR Smith Treo and Kelo lights. Pentair recently released a similar light called the Microbrite. I've seen them installed in a pool and they look good but I haven't heard from many pool owners yet. The Pentair and SR Smith lights can work with an Aqualink system. The Aqualink can turn the lights on/off and shuffle through the colors by turning them off and back on.

OK perfect - thanks!

I will keep those in mind when/if we need to buy new lights. I am working with Jandy regarding the latest failure and they want to solve the problem.

Eventually I am sure they will tire of replacing my lights if they keep failing yearly...

I’ve had my Jandy nichless lights replaced almost every 4 months since I bought them two years ago. Fortunately, they have been very good about the replacement process. When I had some replaced this summer, the company that has been installing them said that Jandy was field testing a new version of these lights (which was going very well) and they would be released by end of summer. Maybe the new version is out now?

I’ve had my Jandy nichless lights replaced almost every 4 months since I bought them two years ago. Fortunately, they have been very good about the replacement process. When I had some replaced this summer, the company that has been installing them said that Jandy was field testing a new version of these lights (which was going very well) and they would be released by end of summer. Maybe the new version is out now?

Wow you have me beat - but we hardly use our lights. I expect if we did use them a bit more we would see a much faster time to failure.

What version do you have? White or color?

Ours are white.

Update - the good news is that Jandy is replacing the one failing light without any hassles. However, there is some bad news, I have to pay for a tech to install this new replacement light...

So I will end up with a new Jandy light for under $200...

I think I will do it this time, see if they both last, and then switch brands if they fail yet again.

I am really looking at the SR Smith Kelo 7w color - I would like to switch to color lights for those few times we have the cover open to just enjoy looking at the pool with various colors. But, I am a bit concerned that these newer lights won't be very bright. My current Jandy lights are 20W and the Kelo are only 7w - that would be quite the drop in wattage.

Further update: I ended up asking Jandy about me doing the install myself (even though I know they don't like to work with homeowners). The response was that they would cover my installation costs as well as the light cost!

Thread revival: Tomorrow the pool tech is supposed to come over and replace both lights under "warranty". :whoot: After a little back and forth with the pool supply company and the local Jandy rep they offered to replace both both lights so that they match. I guess these are going to be new and improved Jandy/Savi lights that supposedly won't fail so easily. I had to work hard to get the labor covered for both lights, but that is now being covered as well by Jandy!

After this replacement I will truly be on my own in the future for any other failures...I guess when/if that happens I will look at another brand. For now I am happy that Jandy has really stepped up and offered us two lights and is paying for the labor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We finally have 2 new lights - which is just in time for a heat wave and some warm nights where we might actually use our lights and keep the cover open!

The lights are the all new Jandy Nicheless "Hydrocool" LEDs which look completely different from our older ones. These new ones have a new notched ring and different tool for easier installation and removal, plus they have a frosted lens. We probably have the 24W version as well, so they are noticeably brighter than the 20W units they replaced.

Fingers crossed these actually survive a year, or ten...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.