Next project - pool equipment pad and replumb

Pump is running! Hooray. I haven’t finished the electrical for the SWG yet... that’ll be later this week. Now, 3 questions...

1) The instructions said to open the air relief valve on your filter when starting it the first time... I don’t have one... should I add one somehow?

2) Recommendations for pump priming speed?

3) The pressure gauge I had on my filter is reading zero now... guess it’s time to replace it. Any recommendations?

Pump is running! Hooray. I haven’t finished the electrical for the SWG yet... that’ll be later this week. Now, 3 questions...

1) The instructions said to open the air relief valve on your filter when starting it the first time... I don’t have one... should I add one somehow?

2) Recommendations for pump priming speed?

3) The pressure gauge I had on my filter is reading zero now... guess it’s time to replace it. Any recommendations?

The air relief should be part of the pressure gauge assembly on top of the filter. Look up your filter online and get the correct parts to fix it. I suggest you get a glycerine filled pressure gauge that reads to 0.5psi precision. They’re about $20. TFTestKits sells them.

Once primed, you shouldn’t lose watervwgen you turn off the pump. Is there a check valve in your plumbing between the pump and filter to prevent water draining back to the pool.

Replace the gauge with the better one I mentioned.

and Q4 - is there an easier way to turn this puppy on to run at a constant RPM other than setting up program 1 for that speed and 24 hour duration?

No idea how to program that pump. Have fun learning all about it ;)

PS - Nice new username....

and Q4 - is there an easier way to turn this puppy on to run at a constant RPM other than setting up program 1 for that speed and 24 hour duration?

Did you by chance mean that when it starts up it runs at full-speed for a bit and then decreases to the programmed speed once thecwater is flowing??

Does your pump strainer basket hold water in it when you turn off the pump or does it drain back into the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It holds water

And there is no pressure relief valve on my filter... just read the manual and reviewed the exploded drawing.

If you needed to let a large amount of air out, then you can probably put the MPV into waste mode and run the pump until water comes out thecwaste port. Then shutdown and switch back to filter mode. However, once the sand filter is full of water, I don’t suspect you would need to let a lot of air out.

If you needed to let a large amount of air out, then you can probably put the MPV into waste mode and run the pump until water comes out thecwaste port. Then shutdown and switch back to filter mode. However, once the sand filter is full of water, I don’t suspect you would need to let a lot of air out.

same thing I was thinking... thanks Matt

- - - Updated - - -

btw... I guess that I've messed with the duct tape enough... I have a bit of water come up out of the ground where it's hooked into the drainage system when I backflush

- - - Updated - - -

so I guess I'll be fixing that later too

Careful with that pump. Find the Max Speed setting and lower it to 2800-3000 RPM. You do not need 3HP starting up when you backwash. You’re probably blowing so much water through that backwash line that it can’t handle it.

Also, drop the Prime Sensitivity setting (or maybe you increase it, I’m not sure) as that controls how long the pump takes to recognize it has prime and run at a normal speed.

Careful with that pump. Find the Max Speed setting and lower it to 2800-3000 RPM. You do not need 3HP starting up when you backwash. You’re probably blowing so much water through that backwash line that it can’t handle it.

Also, drop the Prime Sensitivity setting (or maybe you increase it, I’m not sure) as that controls how long the pump takes to recognize it has prime and run at a normal speed.

Awesome. That was one of the questions I was trying to ask. You think that 2800 is sufficient for priming? And how long do you think it needs? 1-2 minutes?

My pump runs through it’s priming check in about 10 seconds. That’s why I asked if the pump basket was full. If there’s water in the system, then the initial priming check sequence should be very short.

You definitely don’t need the max RPMs any higher than 3000. Adjust the other priming check parameters to get the priming sequence time down.

Awesome. That was one of the questions I was trying to ask. You think that 2800 is sufficient for priming? And how long do you think it needs? 1-2 minutes?

mt,

Since you have the VS SuperFlo, it does not appear to me that you have the various priming options that the IntelliFlo has..

Since the manual is written in "Pentair" it is little hard to understand what they are saying until you have actually operated the pump a few times. It appears that there is no adjustment for the length of time that priming runs... It also appears that once the priming has started you can adjust the priming speed. I assume that it will then use that speed each time it tries to prime again, but I really can't tell for sure. It does allow you to turn priming off.

The manual says that the default priming speed is 3450 rpm and then goes on to say no one should ever need to prime at 3450.. I love Pentair manuals... :confused:

My advice is to play with it until you understand how it works and then tell us... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you adjust it during the priming cycle, it will keep the previous adjustment the next time it primes. So... I’m looking for a suggestion from the experts... where should I start?

I have no clue what should be acceptable for priming. I don’t want to mess up the pump by priming too little and I don’t want to blow all of my filter seals by priming too much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.