Newest Raypak 5450 / 6450 / 8450 heat pumps NO LONGER HAVE the INTERNAL AUTOMATIC BYPASS.

vmalespina

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Guys - The newest Raypak 5450 / 6450 / 8450 heat pumps NO LONGER HAVE the INTERNAL AUTOMATIC BYPASS. It has been removed (to save $ I imagine), though their website, data sheets, etc. still advertise this feature. I have a new 5450 and the water flow is terrible - not enough to drive my Polaris vacuum. Still trying to figure out what to do about this. Fact is, I did not get the heater I paid for.

By the way, I have a 1.5 HP pump and 2" piping. According to Raypak, this configuration shouldn't need a bypass, even without the Internal Automatic Bypass feature. But it seems that it does. Also note, that while the 5450 has 2" plumbing connections, the piping immediately reduces to 1.5" inside the heater. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Guys - The newest Raypak 5450 / 6450 / 8450 heat pumps NO LONGER HAVE the INTERNAL AUTOMATIC BYPASS. It has been removed (to save $ I imagine), though their website, data sheets, etc. still advertise this feature. I have a new 5450 and the water flow is terrible - not enough to drive my Polaris vacuum. Still trying to figure out what to do about this. Fact is, I did not get the heater I paid for.

Welcome to TFP.

Thanks for the intel. Did you confirm this engineering change with Raypak?

You have what model Polaris cleaner without a booster pump that no longer has enough return flow?

What model and HP pump do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment so we can better understand your situation.

Also note, that while the 5450 has 2" plumbing connections, the piping immediately reduces to 1.5" inside the heater. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I think the coil in the heater is smaller then 1.5". So going from 2" to 1.5" doesn't matter when it then goes down to the coil size.

A HP has a smaller coil and more restriction then a gas heater, higher head, and creates higher filter pressure. That is the nature of the HP technology.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.