Newbie with Taylor 2006 kit Questions about mixing and time for color change

Learning4Life

Silver Supporter
Jul 2, 2021
So, I drained my seriously over CYA pool and started testing the fresh water (drained 80% of 20000 gal) I am getting some interesting results and I need help to understand what is going on. Tr5ying to test for free & Combined chlorine using the R-0870 and 0871 test. I do not get the require pink color until I add two additional scoops to the sample water (using the 10ml test) for a total of 4 (ok, all good), this is where it gets interesting! I add three drops of 0871 to the pink mix and swirl, the color goes away! Seems great but within a minute or less the solution starts turning pink again! I continue to add 0871 one drop at a time, each drop seems to make it clear again but only for a few seconds. I continue this until I have 9 drops in and the sample is getting DARKER pink!

So my question is should the sample stay at the prescribed color after mixing for an extended period of time or is it a quick few seconds of color change to indicate the actual result? While I am at it I am confused as to the best order to test and balance the water... I started with pH levels (8.0) and adjusted using muriatic acid, then to total alkalinity (too high 170) I see recommendations for using muriatic acid but it is asking for 2.99 gallons to drop it to 70 (seems like a lot of acid to me, I wonder how it's going to affect my Chlorine level?) so I haven't added it yet. The CYA was at 40 after the drain and refill.

Thanks for listening, I am committed to using this site and it's methods to keep my pool in the best shape of my life, I appreciate your help!

With a 10ml sample a single scoop of R-0870 should turn pink if you have chlorine in the water. Are you properly steering it once you add each single thing/drop?

Once the pink solution turns back clear by adding R-0871 you need to proceed to test CC. If you let it be after few minutes it will start turning pink again.

Unless your TA is affecting your CSI you don’t need to worry about it. It will increase the rate your pH raises, but you will use MA to lower both. If you really want to lower you TA you need to lower your pH to around 7 and aerate to raise it then repeat until your TA is where you want it to be, but it is really fine to just deal with the pH as it raises.

MA does not affect chlorine levels, but high pH reduces effectiveness of chlorine as a sanitizer.

How are you chlorinating your pool? Did you add liquid chlorine? How much? Or are you using tabs? Which will add chlorine and CYA. If you used liquid, how much did you add? This would give you an idea of how much to expect when you're testing.

So, I drained my seriously over CYA pool and started testing the fresh water (drained 80% of 20000 gal) I am getting some interesting results and I need help to understand what is going on. Tr5ying to test for free & Combined chlorine using the R-0870 and 0871 test. I do not get the require pink color until I add two additional scoops to the sample water (using the 10ml test) for a total of 4 (ok, all good), this is where it gets interesting! I add three drops of 0871 to the pink mix and swirl, the color goes away! Seems great but within a minute or less the solution starts turning pink again! I continue to add 0871 one drop at a time, each drop seems to make it clear again but only for a few seconds. I continue this until I have 9 drops in and the sample is getting DARKER pink!

So my question is should the sample stay at the prescribed color after mixing for an extended period of time or is it a quick few seconds of color change to indicate the actual result? While I am at it I am confused as to the best order to test and balance the water... I started with pH levels (8.0) and adjusted using muriatic acid, then to total alkalinity (too high 170) I see recommendations for using muriatic acid but it is asking for 2.99 gallons to drop it to 70 (seems like a lot of acid to me, I wonder how it's going to affect my Chlorine level?) so I haven't added it yet. The CYA was at 40 after the drain and refill.

Thanks for listening, I am committed to using this site and it's methods to keep my pool in the best shape of my life, I appreciate your help!
A good investment would be a speedstirrer. That will take some of the variability out of your testing. It allows you to focus on drops, etc. The FC test is fairly quick. Add the powder and solution should turn pink if you have any chlorine. Then start counting drops and when the solution is colorless stop the FC test and then go onto the CC test. You many need to count drops again until colorless. Then all tests are done. The speedstirrer stays on for about 1 minute once Turned on. I can complete both the FC and CC test within that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.