Newbie with questions on my SWG system

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is the first year that we have managed our saltwater pool ourselves so I have a few questions about our Bioguard Mineral Springs saltwater generator that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1. When you add salt to the pool, do you always have to wait 24 hours before turning the saltwater generator back on or does this only apply when you put in multiple bags of salt at once? I added 3 bags yesterday, and one more bag at noon today, so I was hoping to turn the SWG back on this evening if it would be safe to do so.
2. The panel on the SWG says we need to have a minimum salt level of 2600 but it doesn't say what the optimal level is. Will the SWG work okay if the level is 2800, or does it need to be higher than that in order to work efficiently?
3. What percentage level should I set the SWG on when I turn it on for the first time this season, and how often should I test the chlorine level to figure out what the optimal percentage level is?
4. Does the SWG need to be turned off when adding chemicals such as calcium increaser, shock, Ph reducer, alkalinity increaser, etc.
5. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done each year to the salt water system?

It is wise to wait a good 24 hours after adding salt. To speed it up, brush vigorously or put several rambunctious children in the pool to mix the water well.
Once the SWCG is happy with the salt level and generating, more salt does not change its generating capacity. Add at least 400 ppm salt above the level the SWCG starts to generate.
Use the SWG Run Time Calculator. I suggest starting with a 4 ppm FC loss per day. Then adjust as necessary if FC rises or falls.
No. Should never need 'shock'. Liquid chlorine is used if a boost of FC is needed. Use muriatic acid. Never dry acid. Sodium bisulfate will destroy your SWCG.
Some remove the cell to inspect. If you winterize your pool, you should remove it for the winter. I have never taken my SWCG off to inspect it in 3 years.

Good luck

This is the first year that we have managed our saltwater pool ourselves so I have a few questions about our Bioguard Mineral Springs saltwater generator that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1. When you add salt to the pool, do you always have to wait 24 hours before turning the saltwater generator back on or does this only apply when you put in multiple bags of salt at once? I added 3 bags yesterday, and one more bag at noon today, so I was hoping to turn the SWG back on this evening if it would be safe to do so.
Please wait till tomorrow. Use liquid bleach if you need to raise your FC til then.
2. The panel on my SWG says I need to have a minimum salt level of 2600 but it doesn't say what the optimal level is. Will the SWG work okay if the level is 2800, or does it need to be higher than that in order to work efficiently?
Each one is different, check your manual. And you should also have an independent salt test to monitor the level. I like the Taylor K-1766.
3. What percentage level should I set the SWG on when I turn it on for the first time this season, and how often should I test the chlorine level to figure out what the optimal percentage level is?
This is all guesswork, so start at about 50% and play with the percentage or the pump run time to get your desired FC. Daily testing of the FC will tell you if you're on the right track or need to adjust.
4. Does the SWG need to be turned off when adding chemicals such as calcium increaser, shock, Ph reducer, alkalinity increaser, etc.
Always with salt, suggested by manufacturers with other chemicals.
5. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done each year to the salt water system?
Not really. Just remember to only clean the cell when it needs it, not as a prevention measure. Each time it is cleaned with acid the lifespan is shortened.

Side Note: are you using the minerals?? Not a good idea, especially with fiberglass pools. Can you remove this element?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.