Newbie wanting to add thru-wall skimmer...

mwc104

Apr 4, 2017
Hamilton, IL
Hey, everyone! I have the Intex Ultra Frame pool 16'x48" model with the all-in-one Intex sand filter and salt water system and wanting to do the Hayward skimmer solution that a lot of people on here do. I was curious what to do with the current underwater skim port? I see some keep it and some don't. The only reason I can see keeping it is because I have the Intex vacuum kit that attaches to it with the adapter. If the Hayward one will fit it then I feel like I don't need it tied into the pump.

I've also seen where some have tied both the Intex ports as inlets from the pump to push water back in the pool and only use the skimmer as the return. Just looking to do this the right way! Thanks all.

i dont have an Intex but i do have a Coleman pool. what i did with the extra intake port was to cut the opening a little bigger and added this part
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZTM0O2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N0N9GCDK32LI&coliid=IVQVSJ9EWHOZ1
then i put the cover from the orginal intake over that and ran it over to my solar heater behind the fence.
you could also add that same fitting to the pool and then put this plug over it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055EHLKS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N0N9GCDK32LI&coliid=I2LN0IM12YNPLZ
here is what my set up looks like. i did install the widemouth skimmer on mine.

Thanks for the replies! I found another post showing where they tied the two intex inlet ports together to help with circulation of water and only used the Hayward skimmer outlet to pump. I think I may go that route (unless you see a dire reason this is a bad idea). Can anyone verify if I can use my intex vacuum kit with the hayward skimmer?

1). I wish I had kept my original port just to be able to filter water from below the surface in addition to on top. I would have installed a valve so that I could regulate between surface, submerged, or both. Once debris has sunk beneath the surface, the only way to get it out is with a vacuum without an intake below the surface.

2). My Hayward Dynaskim came with a vacuum attachment plate. It doesn't fit the Intex hoses, but it fits the generic vacuum hoses available at any store that sells pool accessories, ie. WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes.

1). I wish I had kept my original port just to be able to filter water from below the surface in addition to on top. I would have installed a valve so that I could regulate between surface, submerged, or both. Once debris has sunk beneath the surface, the only way to get it out is with a vacuum without an intake below the surface.

2). My Hayward Dynaskim came with a vacuum attachment plate. It doesn't fit the Intex hoses, but it fits the generic vacuum hoses available at any store that sells pool accessories, ie. WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes.

Are you saying a setup like this would be preferred? (found image using google)

6fefff707b47737eb34361a88e5dca5c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a hypothetical question: If we reference the picture I posted above, what happens if you were to close the valve on the surface skimmer and just used the underwater skimmer? I'm curious what happens when all the water gets sucked out of that pipe between the two skimmers....

Are you saying a setup like this would be preferred? (found image using google)

6fefff707b47737eb34361a88e5dca5c.jpg
Hey! My pool is famous LOL! (Check link in my signature)

Just a hypothetical question: If we reference the picture I posted above, what happens if you were to close the valve on the surface skimmer and just used the underwater skimmer? I'm curious what happens when all the water gets sucked out of that pipe between the two skimmers....
There is only one skimmer, the other connection is the original suction port. There are no issues with running either or both, with the exception of reduced skimmer suction when the suction port is opened. If I close the skimmer valve, the water will most likely stay in the pipe from the slight vacuum created trying to pull it out. When I use the skimmer for my manual vac, I open the suction port, then close the skimmer valve to setup my vac plate & vacuum. When I re-open the skimmer valve, I do not see any noticeable air bubble flow through the pump basket, so the pipe must remain full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! My pool is famous LOL! (Check link in my signature)

There is only one skimmer, the other connection is the original suction port. There are no issues with running either or both, with the exception of reduced skimmer suction when the suction port is opened. If I close the skimmer valve, the water will most likely stay in the pipe from the slight vacuum created trying to pull it out. When I use the skimmer for my manual vac, I open the suction port, then close the skimmer valve to setup my vac plate & vacuum. When I re-open the skimmer valve, I do not see any noticeable air bubble flow through the pump basket, so the pipe must remain full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the information! I feel more confident about doing this now. Your pool is famous! Second image on my search! How do you like those GAME adapters? I want to use the intex hoses so I can store the pump for winter make the disassembly easy.

I love the intex hoses. Nice, secure connection that never leaks. I used them at the equipment pad as well, and the GAME adapters work great. I have bought a few shorter hoses from Intex's website for the connections at the pump this year.

I love the intex hoses. Nice, secure connection that never leaks. I used them at the equipment pad as well, and the GAME adapters work great. I have bought a few shorter hoses from Intex's website for the connections at the pump this year.

Awesome! I like how simple yours looks and that it's maneuverable if needed and can be easily torn down for storage! Can't wait to get started :)

Welcome to TFP!!

View attachment 64860View attachment 64861

I basically copied DOMCT's setup, but I took my PVC down to the ground for extra support. I capped the second inlet, but wish I would have tied it into the return for running the Intex Auto Cleaner. I also added a second return port (vertical pipe) for a future fountain/aerator.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the reason that some cut the butterfly gasket is so you can mount the skimmer without having to drain the pool below the skimmer area. Once they've mounted the skimmer with split gasket, they cut the vinyl out. If you can install the skimmer before you fill, you won't have to worry about cutting it!

IMG_1975.jpgHere is my setup. Hayward wide mouth skimmer. Second outflow to the pump in case the water gets too low for the skimmer. 1 inflow to a homemade fountain and 1 to the pool. I cut out the Intex returns and replaced them with Hayward. I can remove the eyeball and screw in a pvc adapter and hook up my Intex pool cleaner or vacume hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.