krischela

May 2, 2021
Normal, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Newbie here. Pool installed June 2019. No issues the first summer, last year battled algae once and had some staining, but no real issues. I should mention, my backyard is a corn field and there is major construction in my neighborhood. This year, the water was murky at opening and I can’t seem to get the right balance and am having trouble holding chlorine levels even early in the season when temps are low and pool is mostly covered.

current readings from the pool store:
TC and FC 1.8 (using super chlorinate often and SWG set at 20%)
Ph 7.4 (I’m using Lamotte instant test strips at home. Reads low on the strip.)
TA 150 (used 4lb ph down a few days ago)
TH 475
Stabilizer 20 (says low on print out, but pool store said don’t worry about - not convinced, though. Is this why chlorine keeps dipping?)
4710 diss. Solids
3500 salt (think they added too much at opening, but is this too high?)
Phosphates 2000 (added 1 qt PhosAway 2 days ago). Original phosphate number after opening was 10,000!
Water is now crystal clear, but my main concern is that he pool is not maintaining chlorine. It’s been shocked and liquid chlorine was added a week ago. Also ph tests low for me and alkalinity is not coming down according to pool store results. Reads in range on test strip. I’m at a loss and don’t know what do! I don’t want to “fix” one problem to create another. Thanks to anyone that can guide me.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Also, you should not be using dry acid (pH Down) in a pool with a SWCG. That product is specifically stated by the SWCG manufacturer to destroy the plates in the cell. Use muriatic acid.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Oh goodness. Dumb question. What is 5ppm and how do I measure that?

Had no idea about the dry acid. Just followed pool store instructions. Will the muriatic acid also lower ph? That’s what I used the first season when alkalinity was normal but ph was high. I’m concerned my ph is low-ish already.

I did read the ABC’s and will reread. Thanks for advice! Will order the kit and educate myself on SLAM.

With a 10000 gallon pool, one-half gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add 5 ppm FC to the pool water. Every day.

Muriatic acid will lower the pH. IF your TA is as high as you say, the pH will rise easily. When you get your own proper test kit, you will have better information.

Reactions: krischela
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.