Newbie needs advice

OK, I am really confused now. I got home today and tested my water. FC=1 CC=1, two gallons of bleach later and I am sitting at FC=1 and CC=.5 I was sure 2 gallons of bleach with clean filters and everything would finally get me to FC=12. Can anyone explain to me what is going on. When I test with the cheap test left behind from the old homeowner my FC at about 3.

Hi Derek. :wave: Catching-up on your last few posts here, a couple things stand-out to me...
1 - The spa. Is it spilling over or just isolated, staying level with the pool? Are you running it at all?
2 - We know 2 Gallons will add just over 12 FC in your pool. A pool can lose 2-4 ppm on a good day, so let's say "4" for argument's sake. That leaves 8 FC remaining. An algae bloom PLUS low CYA in the summer will steal more of that FC. This is why the consistency is so important. At the same time, we understand many of our members work or have obligations during the day and can't just babysit the pool all day. But that lapse does effect things - especially in the early stages of the SLAM. When organics are high, they attack bleach hard & fast, reducing your FC quickly. It's not uncommon for members to test FC every 30 min or so in the first day or so just to break through that "wall" if you will, where the FC gets the upper hand.

Back to the spa. I want to make sure there is no way any stagnant algae-filled water could be getting to the pool from the spa. Or, more ideally, does the spa operate so that you can treat it simultaneously? That would be better... if possible. It would be a shame if your spa was somehow cross-contaminating your pool water. Also, make sure to inspect behind any light fixtures, steps, ladders, etc.

The spa is staying level with the pool when the pump is off, I assume. I will be running the pump until SLAM is done so I will see if it fills back up. I am fairly certain the spa and pool clean at the same time. Although now it seems the spa is a lot dirtier than the pool. I don't know anything about this pool anbd forgot most of what I used to know so starting all over. She was supposed to label the system for me but that didn't happen. Hoping a buddy who has a pool can come check it out soon or I will be paying for pool school.

OK, update. I just went out to my system and turned a lever out of desperation that I assumed was connecting the spa and inlet jets from following the pipe. Boom it started filling and will be over flowing shortly. This also activated my in pool inlets which have not been working. I am hoping this solves my issues as the hot tub was not being filtered as you suspected.

Does this sound like I hit the right lever. LOL. Cause I got not clue but it looks to be working good to me now. I certainly hope so cause there was also a wasp nest near by and I got stung twice so it's staying like that all night now.

:goodjob: Bingo! That's huge. Now don't be surprised if your CC jumps-up temporarily and your FC crashes again (ha ha) because of this. A lot of stagnant, algae-filled water may be mixing with your pool, but it will work-out in the long run. You want both bodies of water (that share the same filter) to cleanse and sanitize together. Good job.

OK, todays update after adding two gallons of bleach and waiting 30 minutes to test once I got home. Numbers are as follows.

FC=9
CC=0
PH=7.5
TA=70
CH=130
CYA=30

I am going to assume that since 2 gallons of bleach only got me to 9 that my pool is bigger than my original calculations. What should be my next step now? Should I move onto the overnight test or continue to SLAM? Pool is crystal clear with no cloudiness or anything on my walls at all. If I don't need to continue to SLAM I assume after overnight test I can move onto getting the rest of my numbers in line. I am just relieved I finally got a reading after all the bleach I have went through :whoot:

Yes, you may need to adjust your gallon size. Later you might compare Poolmath dosages and results against another product (i.e. muriatic acid when lowering pH) to see if you under or over-shoot that target. That might help confirm as well. So if your water is crystal as you say and with no CCs, sure ... try an OCLT tonight. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). If you pass by not losing any more than 1 ppm of FC, then you can be assured you are clean and are free to increase CYA to protect that FC during our blistering hot TX days. Once you pass the OCLT, I would increase CYA to at least 50 if your pool gets a lot of sun.

Here are my numbers from my OCLT.

8:30 P.M. > FC=5
CC=0

5:15 A.M. > FC=4
CC=0

I am at the max loss of ppm for what would be considered passing the OCLT. That being said I am also a bit concerned with losing 4ppm of FC in just over 3 hours between me testing after bleach addition to testing once sun was down:brickwall:. I am really trying not to get frustrated but after spending over $100 on bleach this week and only getting up to FC=9 once and have it go down that much in 3 hours seems like something is off. While I am not a chemist these tests aren't that hard to complete. While user error may be giving me .2 ppm give or take it's not explaining such a quick loss in FC to me. What should my next step be?

OCLT is better at 10 FC. Having said that, even a loss of 1 shows there is something in there. You're pretty close, I bet if you stay at it today and tomorrow that Saturday or Sunday night you'll pass with flying colors.

There is no need to get frustrated, a one week SLAM is very quick, especially for a working person who has very limited time to attend to the pool. I assure you that a pool service will not care for your pool as well as you can as they simply don't test as well as you can and don't care about your pool as much as you do either. My pool is twice the size of yours and all told I spend $12/week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let's look back and remember that up until a day or so ago, some of your progress was stalled because the pool and spa were not circulating water together. You just recently ID'd the valve that allowed the spa to flow properly. So your SLAM really became more effective just recently. Your OCLT passed. That's good. You lost NO MORE than 1 ppm, no CCs and I'm guessing water is still clear. That's a positive thing, Technically you could say you passed your SLAM. From here you could increase CYA to save FC during the day - done.

The question you have to ask yourself is..... am I satisfied with what I see? (water clear, testing accuracy, condition of pool surfaces, etc). That's just some things we can't tell from our vantage point. Now your concern about losing FC at the end of the day. The hours between 3-7 are probably the hottest hours of our TX days. Since your CYA is at the minimum for the SLAM, you will lose more FC faster. That's why the OCLT is so important - no sunlight.

Oh, and just to be sure ... for the FC testing ... just use the 10ml water sample, one heaping scoop of powder, then divide # of drops by 2. (i.e. 16 drops = FC of 8).

In the end, if you're still concerned that your water just "isn't quite there", even after your last OCLT, SLAM another day. But when you are satisfied, increase that CYA to at least 50. I maintain mine at the 60-70 range because the sun is so intense in my area - full sun all day. That's the only way I retain FC in the summer. It sounds like you're right there Derek. Trust your testing, your eyes, and your gut. If you still have a question or concern we'll be here to assist. Have a great weekend.

I assure you that a pool service will not care for your pool as well as you can as they simply don't test as well as you can and don't care about your pool as much as you do either.
Very true!

Derek, after re-reading my last note (and Mr Bruce's), I did just realize that your starting OCLT FC was a 5. Curious why it wasn't 12 or 13 since you were currently in "SLAM" mode? While you still "technically" passed the OCLT, we usually leave that FC up there at SLAM level until we pass all 3 criteria. Just throwing that out there as consideration.

OK this all sounds good. My frustrations have calmed. Note to self, never post before the morning coffee and directly after an hour in traffic ;). I definitely know a pool service won't care nearly as much as I do. I actually find it calming vacuuming and sweeping the pool so that's a bonus. I will see what my numbers are today when I arrive home. Since I didn't have time to add bleach this morning I am going to assume I will be down to around 1 again. Maybe I can snag out early and add this....I mean it is Friday. I will go ahead and try and keep it between 10 and 12 for one more night and bump my CYA up tomorrow. I get pounded by direct sunlight all day also so I am going to aim for about 60 myself.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never been able to hit and FC of anything above 9 as of yet. After some calculations last night it seems my pool is closer to 20,000 gallons and that isn't accounting for the spa. I am sure this was effecting me getting there. I will try and get it to SLAM levels through this weekend since I have more time to attend to it and plan for another OCLT on Sunday evening. Since I just moved into this house and trash service wont come by until Tuesday I am definitely gonna get some looks from the neighbors with all this bleach. Should I try and get my CYA up also since I am losing so much because of the sun?

Note to self, never post before the morning coffee and directly after an hour in traffic
:hammer: ha ha. Good one.

Since I didn't have time to add bleach this morning I am going to assume I will be down to around 1 again.
Now hopefully your FC wasn't still at 4-5 when you left for work. If so, then yes, it will probably all get burned-off during the day. If it was at 12 when you left, much of it would still be there - at least above your minimum. Dropping below 2 sets you up for algae quickly in our heat. (Probably not what you wanted to hear again - sorry). But always err on the side of caution and keep the FC at/above your target level - in your case SLAM level until you are sure all is well. Best of luck, and have a nice weekend. Stay out of traffic. :gone:

Just read your last update - Good idea! :goodjob:

Look at the chart in my sig. If you up the CYA now, you will have an even higher number to hit for FC. That's why when people are SLAMming we usually say to keep it low,even in the broiling sun. Until you are able to get to your current SLAM FC with the CYA you have, I'd hold off.

And not to belabor the point, but if you had time to grab a sample this morning you had time to add bleach, even if you weren't diligent about getting the exact oz, I would have at LEAST added to the nearest 1/3 gallon about what you have been adding. Not trying to beat you up, trying to help you get this done quicker :)

Should I try and get my CYA up also since I am losing so much because of the sun?

CYA protects FC chlorine from sun. In that respect, higher levels are better. The downside is that CYA reduces the effectiveness of FC, so higher FC levels are needed to maintain a sanitary pool. When you are fighting a problem, you want a very low CYA level so you don't spend a fortune on bleach. BUT... Zero CYA means high loss to sun. So the bright minds at TFP have determined that 30 is a good balance during a SLAM to maximize effectiveness and bleach consumption. Once your has passed the test, you may return to normal CYA levels.

Personally, I overshoot target FC levels by ~25% when shocking or slamming. Based on my personal habits, which sound a lot like yours, I find that it's cheaper to overdo it once than to fight organics for several days. You haven't mentioned. Are you using a SWG?

"And not to belabor the point, but if you had time to grab a sample this morning you had time to add bleach, even if you weren't diligent about getting the exact oz, I would have at LEAST added to the nearest 1/3 gallon about what you have been adding. Not trying to beat you up, trying to help you get this done quicker :)"

Yeah you are correct. I have also never added less than 2 gallons at a time to get where I am now. Although this could be because I didn't add in morning. I did think about that and then realized that if I got bleach on my work clothes it would have been and even worse day listening to my wife then just replacing a little chlorine later. I may just need a jump suit I can throw on real quick over my clothes to bleach in the morning. On a serious note though I do have an auto chlorinator would this be something I should use just to keep me going during the day. I know I don't want to rely on it always since it messes with CYA too, but since that's already low would it be better to at least have something for days like today?

On a serious note though I do have an auto chlorinator would this be something I should use just to keep me going during the day.
I wouldn't Derek. Just leave that thing alone. If you had an SWG that's one thing, but the tabs just add complications. Live & learn is all. Your pool/spa are circulating properly now, and you're learning more about your system everyday. The chlorine (bleach) will work when administered at the right level. You'll get it. Life gets in the way and we know that, but you'll figure it out. When you get home, crack-open a cold one and keep that FC up there. Hit-up HEB or Wal-Mart fro some bleach and make it a SLAM kind of weekend.

Update....I was able to continue SLAM this weekend. Overall the pool looks great and even my neighbors said its the best they have ever seen it look. I do seem to be losing about 4 ppm though out the course of a day though. I am assuming this is because I get pounded by Texas heat all day and my CYA is only 30. I am going to do my OCLT again tonight as I have still not been able to get the change below 1 ppm. I figured I would do it once more before raising my CYA to avoid such a high FC lose everyday.

When do most people add their bleach? It would be most convenient for me to add it at night since it is bleach and I don't want to ruin all my clothes and just go for over the amount to cover my lose for the day. So for example if I test my water at night and it reads FC=5 and I know now I lose about 4 ppm during the course of a day I would just add enough to bring me up to 9 overnight. Am I correct that once my SLAM is over that as long as I am never under 3 there shouldn't be an issue of how I keep it there. I am just trying to get as much information as possible since I leave on vacation in a couple weeks and have a buddy house sitting and will be showing him how to care for the pool for a few days. I would hate to come back to a pool that needed to be SLAMed again.

Thanks again for every ones help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.