Newbie - need help or reassurance during SLAM

When doing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test are u using a 10ml sample? If not do that tonight & in the morning. Also be sure you wait 30 min to an hour after your last addition before testing & be sure your swg is completely off.
If these are all true its likely a testing error - just do one test each time but take your time & :
1) use a 10 ml sample
2) use 2 level scoops of powder
3) let the drops fall from the bottle w/ minimalpressure
4) 1 drop per second

I think you’re on the right track by keeping slam level for 1 more day.
If u don’t wanna have to do this again later you should definitely check the light- you should be able to look it up by brand & see how it’s put together.
Also you’d be surprised how much gunk can accumulate in a filter during slam.
😊

Yes, I am using the 10 mL sample every time I test. The taylor instructions say to use only one heaping scoop. I should be using two level scoops?
I’ll make sure to go slowly with the dropper.
We plan on cleaning the filter and checking the lights but are waiting on the PB to show us the first time. My partner doesn’t want to do it without the PB the first time. Not sure when that’s going to happen. Thanks! I definitely feel like we are not quite there, but heading in the right direction. Hopefully this is all settled before we leave town for 3 days on Thursday night.
Thank you!

Reactions: Mdragger88
So this morning I used up quite a bit of reagent because I wanted to determine the source of my variability. I first tried doubling the amount of sample and reagent used, which still had variability with it. And then filled separate glass with a larger sample and poured from that glass and still had some variability. So I knew that something was wrong with my technique.

I realized I had the best, consistent results when I rinsed out my cylinder and speedstir with tapwater and then completely dried both in between tests with paper towel.

I then proceeded to test a separate sample far away from the original test site with my new technique to make sure there was no mixing problem in my pool and I got the exact same result. So it was definitely technique.

As someone who graduated with a bachelors degree in chemistry I am embarrassed at the amount of time and effort it took to reach this conclusion.

At any rate, it seems the testing aspect of this is more clear. Finally this morning we have met two of the three criteria for the SLAM process. I guess it will take one more day for me to see if we are going to pass the OCLT.

Still waiting on the pool builder to tell us when someone’s going to show us how to clean the filter and the light niches.

You’re on your way !
I know pool people are quite busy now - maybe they could go over it with u via FaceTime or something like that?
You don’t want any lingering what if’s especially with the light. They can harbor some nasty stuff 🤢
So many people wish they would have checked theirs on the 1st day of their slam.
Good luck! Slam on!

Reactions: crimson avenger
You’re on your way !
I know pool people are quite busy now - maybe they could go over it with u via FaceTime or something like that?
You don’t want any lingering what if’s especially with the light. They can harbor some nasty stuff 🤢
So many people wish they would have checked theirs on the 1st day of their slam.
Good luck! Slam on!
Maybe I’ll try that.
How should I clean the light niche? With what? How far back in the conduit am I going to have to go once I get the light off?

Maybe I’ll try that.
How should I clean the light niche? With what? How far back in the conduit am I going to have to go once I get the light off?

1st- Turn off power @ the breaker & the switch.
2nd- it should just be a sealed round box that has a waterproof cord for the completely encased light.
usually just one screw.
Just use a brush of some kind to clean inside the box & the light encasement itself.
Most people choose to leave the light on the deck during slam provided there’s enough cord to do so to allow the chlorinated water to circulate there.
This may help - of course different manufacturers vary but the set up is roughly the same although th

Edit: see below post

Last edited:
Reactions: crimson avenger
Still waiting on the PB.
Since the pool is perfectly clear (no grey or brown dust in the morning) and our CC is between 0 and 0.5, I’m allowing FC to drift down to levels more appropriate for an OCLT with less variation in my results.
If I fail the OCLT tomorrow I’ll bring back up to SLAM level and start on the filter by myself tomorrow. The lights are just going to have to wait for the PB.
Reasonable? Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: kimkats
Well it looks like I’ve technically passed my first SLAM

Last night:
FC 16.5, 17 (came down from 19 - had a storm with a bunch of leaves fall in the pool - maybe that was why)
This morning:
FC 16, CC 0.5, crystal clear pool.

I calculated my chlorine demand as 8.2 ppm in 24 hours. Seems a bit high still even with 7 hours of sun.
Im going to set my SWG to generate 8 ppm in 24 hours and see what happens... sound like a good plan?

If things go awry I’ll revisit the light niches and filter (which I’m planning on doing anyway).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now we are sitting really pretty. FC consumption in past 24 hours is only 4.4 ppm, with full sun in the afternoon and swimming. Passed another OCLT just now.

We leave town tomorrow night for 72 hours. I hope we don’t have a problem when we get back. Our PB hasn’t installed our autocover yet so I’m a little concerned. Should I leave my skimmer basket without a skimmer sock to avoid my pump from shutting off if it gets too full? Any other thoughts?

Do you have a main drain? If so make sure it is open and things should be fine BUT leaving the sock out of the basket is a good idea for extra insurance!

Yes we have 4 drains - the valve for them is wide open. Thanks for clarifying my thoughts on the issue! I’ll take the sock out before we leave.

Have been doing well for the last couple of weeks but have been going through about 6 ppm per day (we have a small, shallow pool which might explain some of that). Repeat OCLT showed 2 ppm last night.
PB hasn’t come to show us how to swap/clean filters so we just did it ourselves today!
Here are the pics - no real green stuff, just brown... hoping this does the trick. Otherwise it’s the light niches...A6F53ADD-E077-4830-ADE5-8FE846859140.jpegD17C1FEB-9237-47B2-B71D-7C3FB41CB7DE.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.