Davenport Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So I'm just getting started planning our backyard pool project that's been on hold with all the crazy going on this year. I've settled on a 17x32 aquasport 52 with a speck VS pump and Hayward filter. I'm so overwhelmed with all the information out there about pool sanitation though.

Welcome to TFP! :)
Besides the ton of information in Pool School, peruse the forums to see the issues other folks had.

Probably #1 - Using test strips or pool store test results, leading to $ spent chasing the rainbow. Fixing what isn't broke or creating an issue due to improper test results or bad advice.
Probably #2 - CYA too high due to use of chlorine pucks with CYA in them. Only fix is to drain enough to dilute with fresh water.
Probably #3 - Algae due to allowing FC to be lower than minimum per chlorine/cya chart. Also related to #1. See link in my signature for chart.

You are in the right place! The experts here are volunteers, unlike pool stores that get paid to sell you un needed items. Instead you can pick up generic items at Walmart / Lowes etc. for fewer $.