Newbie here! Really need simplified help! Cloudy pool.

OK. So FC has pretty much stayed at 24 all day, after getting up from 17. CCs remain 0. Water is very clear. Do I need to retest it again before I go to bed? For OCLT? If that's good in morning, can I go back to normal? Then I keep testing FC til it gets around 6. At that time, I can address PH, TA, and CYA?

Okay. Had to work late again, so my husband took a water sample for me this morning before he left for work. He didn't test it, but left it in a small clear Rubbermaid container w/ lid on, on the kitchen counter. When I tested that sample@ 1:00, the FC was 19, down from last nights 24. My question is does FC break down just sitting in a covered container? It is a clear container, sitting in natural light in kitchen.

Yes. We'll try it again. CC was < .5, I would say. It was a VERY, VERY faint tinge of pink ( had to really look) after adding drops. But, I was afraid to say 0 because it wasn't crystal clear. 1 drop instantly took any trace of pink tinge away. It was so faint, though, that if I had done test outside I would've missed it. I do the testing over a white piece of paper. Do I need to take FC to 20?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night FC level 22. CC 0. This morning FC 22, CC 0! What FC am I waiting for to do rest of re-tests?

You can do all of the re-tests now with the exception of pH.

pH will not be accurate until FC is below 10 ppm.

In post #81 you also said your water is clear, so you can also swim!!! while your FC is drifting down from SLAM!!!

Post a pic!!! We all want to see it!!!

Ok. Latest results, and I didn't test PH.
Salt: 2310
FC: 19
CC: 0
Cal Hardness: 50 (that's down from my initial reading of 275....could I have been THAT far off the first time I did it?? Or does slamming affect it?)
TA: 120
CYA: 30
Copper: .1

What do I address first?

My bad, I missed the salt part. You can begin bringing it up to the correct level.

For TA, you are at the upper end of the recommended range but it isn't a big issue at this point. You can adjust it down later if you would like, but I would not adjust it yet until you know where the pH is. The two are closely related and adjusting one can affect the other.

So go ahead and add the salt, and keep rechecking FC today?

It will be fine to add the salt at this point. You should have the SWG turned off right now to let the FC drift down. It might take a day or two for it to get below 10, so maybe check it this evening then again in the morning. It is fine to swim in it while this is going on.

To modify what I said previously just a bit, the TA is fine where it is now while the pool stabilizes, so you don't need to worry about correcting it immediately. Once the FC settles out and you get ready to turn the SWG back on, it is generally recommended to adjust TA to the 60-80 range. You will want to prepare for that, but lowering TA also lowers pH. This is why I said to wait until you can get accurate pH readings (FC below 10). You will want to find the instructions on lowering TA in the Pool School and understand it.

So, there is some work to be done still, but you don't have to rush to try and get it completed today. Enjoy the pool for a bit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.