Newbie here! Really need simplified help! Cloudy pool.

Ok. If you can't wash it off when it gets dirty or plugged just replace. You should be able to tell if the return water flow isn't like it normally is. That means filter is getting dirty. I forgot you have easy set pool. My bad. ?

When I'm done (according to that 3 part requirement), it says let FC drift back down to normal.... Does that mean we can get back into pool while it's drifting down?? Or do we have to wait until the FC is back between 4-6 before we can get in? Provided the ph and other stuff is still good? Also, at what point to I turn the sws back on for its daily run?

You can get in the pool as long as your FC is no higher than SLAM level. Which is 20. Then you just let it drift down like you said. This is all after you meet the three criteria.
We'll get to the SWG after the SLAM is done. When it's done I'm going to have you raise your CYA level to 70-80. So you'll want to have CYA on hand. ?

Good to know. Thanks! I will pick up some more! Will doing this SLAM process do anything to my TA? Or salt level. I know TA was technically high when I did my original tests. And salt level was lower than the 3000. Just wondering if there is anything else I should pick up while I'm getting more CYA, to have on hand.

You won't need anything I don't think. Take a look at pool math about the CYA addition. Put 50 in the now and 70 in the target. It will tell you how much to add.

I forget where your TA is. We can get that to come down by lowering PH when it rises. The SLAM won't affect your TA.
If you would like there are two articles in pool school about SWG's. Take a look at them then you'll be up to speed on them. ?

I had already read those articles on swg. Just still have questions.

- - - Updated - - -

My TA was 150. My ph was 7.5. Does this SLAM process raise the PH? And will I need to add salt to get it to that 3000 level? Do I do that before or after we adjust TA? And before/after CYA?

No. If you would test your PH now it would read a false high. That's because the PH test isn't accurate at FC levels of 10 or more. It will read a false high.
When things get back to running normally you'll probably have to lower your PH at times because of the SWG raising it. When your PH rises to 7.8 -8.0 you'll lower it with acid to 7.2 or so. When you keep fixing the PH rise that will also start to lower the TA.
With the higher TA your PH will want to rise quicker. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I'm done (according to that 3 part requirement), it says let FC drift back down to normal.... Does that mean we can get back into pool while it's drifting down?? Or do we have to wait until the FC is back between 4-6 before we can get in? Provided the ph and other stuff is still good? Also, at what point to I turn the sws back on for its daily run?

Did you mean your done with the SLAM?

Okay! I think I am very, very close. This last test showed these results. (And I followed exact amount in pool math said to add to get me to the 22 FC, from my 18. But it went up more than 22. Don't know if that's a problem?)

FC: 24.5 (up from 18)
CC: <1 (down from 4. Was just barely visibly pink before adding 2nd drop to clear)

Now, if when I go out in morning before sun hits pool, and retest, and that CC level is <.5, and water is clear. Am I done? If the FC hasn't dropped? If so, do I wait before doing any other testing until that FC drops to 4-6? Do I continue to leave the SWS off until the FC drops? After reading the SLAM directions, I still wasn't clear on exactly when to turn SWS back on.

The higher FC level isn't a problem.
You are done with the SLAM when
1 water is crystal clear.
2 you have CC of 0.5 or less
3 you can pass the OCLT Test.
All three of those have to be met to stop the SLAM.
Do you have enough salt in the pool for your SWG ?
Let's slow down a bit and get done with the SLAM. One step at a time. ?

That's why I'm asking about this now. According to that pool math and the testing I did before starting the slam, my salt level was 1970 ppm, with the intex manual recommending 3000 ppm, meaning I would need to add 44 lbs of salt. I wanted to know if:
1) do I recheck the salt level after slamming is complete and then go ahead and add the salt accordingly?
2) Do I wait until the FC is down before I check anything else? CYA, etc? I know the PH isn't reliable right now.
3) how does the FC "drift" down?
4) can I use tonight's last FC and CC levels to compare against tomorrow morning? For the OCLT purposes? I took the readings about 10:00 pm. I will take the morning readings @ 7:00 am.

1 yes
2 you can recheck CYA at any time. Not affected by SLAM. As soon as slam is done you will raise it.
3 your FC just drifts down on its own. From the sun burning it off.
4 yes. Take an FC test right before you go to bed and then again before the sun is on the pool. I'm not sure if your there yet. Your still losing FC now. ?

But, in trying to raise the FC to the 22 all day today, it stayed steady around 18 with still not getting that CC below 1, although definitely dropping it quickly from 4. Never broke the 20 mark. But this last time, the FC rose and the CC dropped even more. So that means I'm on the right track though, right?

Hate to keep harping on same question, but how does the FC drift down if you turn the SWS back on? I thought the SWS generated clorine?

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you for being so patient! And so clear with instructions!

Ah, see! THAT was the clarification I needed! Turn SWS back on AFTER FC gets to that 4-6 level. So leave SWS off, but continue to let filter pump run continuously, or go back to schedule of running filter pump?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for all the questions ahead of time, but that's just how my brain operates. I need to have my ducks in a row so I have a working 'if this/then that' plan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.