Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi All my Name is Kenny Rosa, from Brooksville, FL, 14 day new pool owner of a 14x28 with a hot tube. Learning the process of how to maintain crystal clear swimming pool water.

Kenny,

Welcome to TFP from Palm City Florida! You've come to the right place at the right time. Many people struggle with pool service and pool store failures before they find us. I found TFP after I quit traveling and had time to do my own pool. I didn't know exactly how to do it right but I knew enough that pool service knew even less than me. It only took a couple of days to get the hang of it and after a few weeks of kind oversight from experts on here like @kimkats and others I was off and running. That was back around 2015. The people that got me started are all still here and there are over 200,000 people using TFP methods now. The stuff you'll read from Pat above is all based on sound science and it's dirt cheap to do since you normally don't need anything except cheap chemicals from big box stores. If you need more TFP will tell you. Also, and one thing that I have always valued about TFP is they don't sell anything. Advice is never conflicted and no pool store can make that claim. If you decide to go TFP please do get a recommended test kit asap.Test Kits Compared. You need one to do TFP and there are a lot of places to buy one.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Kenny,

Welcome to TFP from Palm City Florida! You've come to the right place at the right time. Many people struggle with pool service and pool store failures before they find us. I found TFP after I quit traveling and had time to do my own pool. I didn't know exactly how to do it right but I knew enough that pool service knew even less than me. It only took a couple of days to get the hang of it and after a few weeks of kind oversight from experts on here like @kimkats and others I was off and running. That was back around 2015. The people that got me started are all still here and there are over 200,000 people using TFP methods now. The stuff you'll read from Pat above is all based on sound science and it's dirt cheap to do since you normally don't need anything except cheap chemicals from big box stores. If you need more TFP will tell you. Also, and one thing that I have always valued about TFP is they don't sell anything. Advice is never conflicted and no pool store can make that claim. If you decide to go TFP please do get a recommended test kit asap.Test Kits Compared. You need on to do TFP and there are a lot of places to buy one.

I hope this is helpful.

thanks, i just received a taylor k2006S test kit today, its only 14 days since we filled the pool im so excited i can maintain it so far and yes i will learn from here as i will make it priority to post here my question when in doubt.

16 days since we filled pool and started system, since then ive had calcium hardness readings in the 650, i know i need keep bet 350-550, today i received my taylor kit K-2006S and test CH and it was 750, my understanding is new pool and shouldnt be drained? So if i drain 30% will affect or void any warranties? Its a diamond right cool blue plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't have a speed stir in your test kit, you may want to consider getting one. It makes it easier to perform tests like the calcium hardness test that requires constant swirling while conducting the test. Your fill water should be much softer (lower in calcium content) than your test results indicate. That could be due to the fact that you have new plaster, testing error, extra calcium has been added to your pool, or a combination of any and all of these. While your plaster is curing you should be brushing the pool every day to loosen plaster dust so it may be filtered out of the water. If your calcium truly is that high you need a plan to safely lower the calcium content. Have you cleaned your filter cartridge since starting the pool? It should be cleaned whenever there is a 25% rise above a clean pressure reading.

You can lower calcium content slowly by draining 2-3 inches of water at a time and replacing it with fresh water. Take advantage of any expected heavy rains by draining a couple of inches before a storm and using rainwater to top off the pool. It may take several months to work down the calcium level with very small drain and refill cycles. Keep a close eye on your pH level and try and keep it around 7.2 to prevent scale formation.

Reactions: setsailsoon
If you don't have a speed stir in your test kit, you may want to consider getting one. It makes it easier to perform tests like the calcium hardness test that requires constant swirling while conducting the test. Your fill water should be much softer (lower in calcium content) than your test results indicate. That could be due to the fact that you have new plaster, testing error, extra calcium has been added to your pool, or a combination of any and all of these. While your plaster is curing you should be brushing the pool every day to loosen plaster dust so it may be filtered out of the water. If your calcium truly is that high you need a plan to safely lower the calcium content. Have you cleaned your filter cartridge since starting the pool? It should be cleaned whenever there is a 25% rise above a clean pressure reading.

You can lower calcium content slowly by draining 2-3 inches of water at a time and replacing it with fresh water. Take advantage of any expected heavy rains by draining a couple of inches before a storm and using rainwater to top off the pool. It may take several months to work down the calcium level with very small drain and refill cycles. Keep a close eye on your pH level and try and keep it around 7.2 to prevent scale formation.
Yes i have clean the cartridge often, i have the k-2006S

My pool water is crystal clear, thanks to this site, pool math

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-002954.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-002954.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210822_153806.jpg
    20210822_153806.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210822_153842.jpg
    20210822_153842.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210822_153954.jpg
    20210822_153954.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 4
Kenny,

Congrats on the gorgeous pool! Can you please add model number of your swg in the signature? This may help get you quick advice in the future if you ever have any issues with it. Your results are pretty good so are clearly getting to know your pool. The only thing I would do is to try to keep your CSI within the recommended range for swg which is to always be slightly negative -.2 to 0. At this level you are less likely to deposit calcium. It's a pretty sensitive number so don't over-correct for it. Play around with Pool math to figure out the best way to get it to be slightly negative. A very small drop in pH to 7.7 will drop it to -.39 or a reduction in TA will have a similar effect. Don't over-worry about this, just use it as a target and don't go outside any TFP recommended levels to achieve this. I stayed mostly in this range and I think it was at least part of the reason I went 3 years on my cell with no decrease in performance. Eventually all cells will deteriorate and one of the main reasons this happens is due to cleaning needed when calcium builds up. The cell plates are coated with a very thin layer of catalyst that is removed each time you acid clean.

Again, congrats on the fine looking pool and I hope this is helpful.

Chris